Boxing Thread

Started by bennydorano, November 04, 2007, 09:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DuffleKing

Quote from: BennyHarp on January 29, 2019, 10:42:13 AM
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the retirement of George Groves. A fighter who grew on me over the years and I was pleased that he eventually lifted a world title. Was comprehensively beaten by Callum Smith and was sensible enough to know his time was up at that level. It seems that the fight in which he seriously injured Guknecht played a factor in his decision and I'm not sure he was the same fighter after that incident.

I noticed Carl Froch was classy as usual with his comments.

It's a pity Froch has proven to be such a co*k in post his boxing career - I loved him as a fighter

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: DuffleKing on January 29, 2019, 12:35:56 PM
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the retirement of George Groves. A fighter who grew on me over the years and I was pleased that he eventually lifted a world title. Was comprehensively beaten by Callum Smith and was sensible enough to know his time was up at that level. It seems that the fight in which he seriously injured Guknecht played a factor in his decision and I'm not sure he was the same fighter after that incident.

It's a pity Froch has proven to be such a co*k in post his boxing career - I loved him as a fighter

+1

JoG2

Would agree with Benny, Groves definitely grew on me as well post Froch fights. A warrior in the ring. Re Froch, a great fighter who, up until the Groves fights carried himself well and respected his opponents. Groves got under his skin and Froch fought fire with fire. I also enjoy his analysis ringside during bouts. Now I'm not any social media, so he could be a complete ar$e on there.

GetOverTheBar

See Froch and Ward are having a good old spat on Twitter at the minute. I'd love to think it was with the idea of a final fight....but i think as pointed out, Froch is just a bit of a twat.

JoG2

One of the boxing heads at work sent me Froch's message to Groves:

"If you've never boxed, you will never understand the profound respect between two fighters, even if they don't like each other.
@StGeorgeGroves
I wish you a healthy & happy retirement. You was a solid world champion & you did yourself & your family very proud. Take care champ! 👊🏼"

lurganblue

Quote from: JoG2 on January 29, 2019, 03:12:14 PM

One of the boxing heads at work sent me Froch's message to Groves:

"If you've never boxed, you will never understand the profound respect between two fighters, even if they don't like each other.
@StGeorgeGroves
I wish you a healthy & happy retirement. You was a solid world champion & you did yourself & your family very proud. Take care champ! 👊🏼"

I believe this is his second statement after making a tube out of himself with the first?

He was on record years ago saying he wouldnt fight Ward again as it would just be the same result.  Now he wouldnt risk his new nose.

lurganblue

markl121

Jaysus that was brutal. Garcia is a smooth operator. Fight should have been stopped cheeseman could well have suffered long term damage.

bennydorano

Dr Gale getting battered

nrico2006

Quote from: bennydorano on February 23, 2019, 11:27:31 PM
Dr Gale getting battered

Was good to see. Judges scoring not getting any better either
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

lurganblue

DeGale retires. Quickly followed by Froch announcing that he would have battered him.

nrico2006

Quote from: lurganblue on February 28, 2019, 07:39:00 PM
DeGale retires. Quickly followed by Froch announcing that he would have battered him.

He would have, but Froch is a knob too. De Gale did well to become world champion, but didnt really have any wins over any of the top super middleweights.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

GetOverTheBar

Is Froch genuine with these comments or has he now become a willing parody of himself. I really hope it's the latter.

nrico2006

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on March 01, 2019, 11:59:40 AM

Is Froch genuine with these comments or has he now become a willing parody of himself. I really hope it's the latter.

He actually is just a tube.  I used to really like him too until the time he fought Groves.  He has let the mask slip since he retired just.

Taylor

Quote from: nrico2006 on March 01, 2019, 01:08:21 PM
Quote from: GetOverTheBar on March 01, 2019, 11:59:40 AM

He actually is just a tube.  I used to really like him too until the time he fought Groves.  He has let the mask slip since he retired just.

He has definitely turned into a right twat.

Maybe trying to keep relevant and push for a job for life in the media