Sinn Fein? They have gone away, you know.

Started by Trevor Hill, January 18, 2010, 12:28:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

Quote from: Armagh18 on February 28, 2024, 10:57:01 AM
Quote from: imtommygunn on February 28, 2024, 09:50:23 AMFlags hanging round the place are a sign of insecurity tbh. Triumphalism and inseccurity.

As someone here said it's grown up politics. The way she will look at it is there are two teams on this island so she can support both.

I think it's hard when you are of a certain age to see NI as a team for all. I don't mind seeing them do well but when things like Neil Lennon, Anton Rogan etc happen and also when they play their games where they do then it can be hard to see past that and you could never fully, fully, support them.

I doubt Michelle gives a flying f**k about the norths team tbh but it's good optics and backing up her first minister for all slogan.

Personally hope the bigoted c***ts get bate 8 nil every game and their bigoted supporters all get the clap off their sisters.

They have *some* bigoted supporters but I know plenty that support them and not a bigoted bone in their body. You hear this - I remember when they were in the euros buff egan was saying that in the fan zone in belfast everyone there was singing "up to their neck in fenian blood". Quite simply didn't happen. Yes there are supporters that will be bigoted but most fanbases will have that. Plenty sang the james mcclean f**k the queen song at ireland games too.

(To be more inclusive they need to look at anthems and getting to hell away from the village area mind you)

trailer

Michelle is playing a blinder. Straight out of the SDLP playbook. Fair play to her.

AustinPowers

Out of interest, what do you recommend for  a new All Ireland anthem when  a United Ireland happens?

For me, it has to be Ghost Town by  The Specials

Applesisapples

Quote from: imtommygunn on February 28, 2024, 12:18:28 PM
Quote from: Armagh18 on February 28, 2024, 10:57:01 AM
Quote from: imtommygunn on February 28, 2024, 09:50:23 AMFlags hanging round the place are a sign of insecurity tbh. Triumphalism and inseccurity.

As someone here said it's grown up politics. The way she will look at it is there are two teams on this island so she can support both.

I think it's hard when you are of a certain age to see NI as a team for all. I don't mind seeing them do well but when things like Neil Lennon, Anton Rogan etc happen and also when they play their games where they do then it can be hard to see past that and you could never fully, fully, support them.

I doubt Michelle gives a flying f**k about the norths team tbh but it's good optics and backing up her first minister for all slogan.

Personally hope the bigoted c***ts get bate 8 nil every game and their bigoted supporters all get the clap off their sisters.

They have *some* bigoted supporters but I know plenty that support them and not a bigoted bone in their body. You hear this - I remember when they were in the euros buff egan was saying that in the fan zone in belfast everyone there was singing "up to their neck in fenian blood". Quite simply didn't happen. Yes there are supporters that will be bigoted but most fanbases will have that. Plenty sang the james mcclean f**k the queen song at ireland games too.

(To be more inclusive they need to look at anthems and getting to hell away from the village area mind you)
I think we can all accept that, unfortunately it is the bigots who insist on the status quo with anthem and flag and the IFA seem to concur. What is wrong with using the assembly flag of the linen flower and even Danny Boy.

HiMucker

Quote from: AustinPowers on February 28, 2024, 01:22:09 PMOut of interest, what do you recommend for  a new All Ireland anthem when  a United Ireland happens?

For me, and being mindful to be inclusive, A nation once again would be a good shout.

Rossfan

Ár Oileann Álainn/ Our Lovely Island/ Oor nice bot o groond in the say
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

sensethetone

RedHand88

Quote from: HiMucker on February 28, 2024, 02:31:15 PM
Quote from: AustinPowers on February 28, 2024, 01:22:09 PMOut of interest, what do you recommend for  a new All Ireland anthem when  a United Ireland happens?

For me, and being mindful to be inclusive, A nation once again would be a good shout.

A Wolfe Tones tune? Themmuns wouldn't allow it.

Applesisapples

Moore  Holmes on twitter ranting about MON at  Windsor. These guys  will never accept equality or give respect in return.

Brendan

Quote from: RedHand88 on February 28, 2024, 09:47:44 PM
Quote from: HiMucker on February 28, 2024, 02:31:15 PM

A Wolfe Tones tune? Themmuns wouldn't allow it.

And that's just Fine Gael

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

seafoid

Why did the Shinners support the referendums ? In some areas 80% of SF voters rejected the proposals.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Pub Bore

Quote from: seafoid on March 11, 2024, 12:45:03 PMWhy did the Shinners support the referendums ? In some areas 80% of SF voters rejected the proposals.

Few people were brave enough to back "No", except the voters of course!  I think SF were wary of always being portrayed the party that says "No".  They should have gone with their gut.

seafoid

« If they can get you asking the wrong questions they don't have to worry about the answers »

Thomas Pynchon

If the Shinners want a durable relationship with voters they must strive to understand what they need
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Eire90

sinn fein say they wont be rerunning referendum if in power looks like they seen the result and got spooked and now they know what would happen if they even dared.