Insurance

Started by DuffleKing, March 22, 2024, 02:26:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DuffleKing

On the back of the "Extortion" thread, I thought I woulkd ask a question I have always wondered about.

Is it actually legal to compel people to purchase insurance on, for example, motor vehicles. Has this ever been challenged?

The "must do" aspect of insurance is a huge bonus to an industry already mired in monopolies and questionable practice.

JoG2

I enjoy the fact that speeding penalty points stay on your record for 4 years, but insurance companies keep them on their records for 5 years.. Nice wee additional earner for them

Franko

Have always believed that car insurance should be nationalised and any profits redeployed to fund road upgrades

I get all the arguments about lazy civil servants etc etc

But ask yourself - would it be possible for anyone to deliver a worse service than car insurance companies?

And at least with my model there may be SOME pressure on them to act honourably

Rather that the thieving bastards they currently are

screenexile

Quote from: Franko on March 22, 2024, 02:54:36 PMHave always believed that car insurance should be nationalised and any profits redeployed to fund road upgrades

I get all the arguments about lazy civil servants etc etc

But ask yourself - would it be possible for anyone to deliver a worse service than car insurance companies?

And at least with my model there may be SOME pressure on them to act honourably

Rather that the thieving bastards they currently are

Would claims soar though??

trueblue1234

Quote from: DuffleKing on March 22, 2024, 02:26:31 PMOn the back of the "Extortion" thread, I thought I woulkd ask a question I have always wondered about.

Is it actually legal to compel people to purchase insurance on, for example, motor vehicles. Has this ever been challenged?

The "must do" aspect of insurance is a huge bonus to an industry already mired in monopolies and questionable practice.
But how would you manage none fault accidents without it? Imagine getting a new car and it's hit by someone with no insurance and can't afford the cost of repairs/ replacement. The system isn't perfect but there needs to be a system.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

DuffleKing

I'm not sure there does... if someone doesn't take out insurance then they are personally liable if a claim comes?

They need to produce either the settlement amount or what is arrived at by a court or face the consequences?

trueblue1234

Quote from: DuffleKing on March 22, 2024, 10:29:49 PMI'm not sure there does... if someone doesn't take out insurance then they are personally liable if a claim comes?

They need to produce either the settlement amount or what is arrived at by a court or face the consequences?
That would mean a court case for each claim instead being managed by the insurance companies. Solicitors would be rubbing their hands and would be the only winners. Not to mention the delays in settling claims. Plus what if the person who hit you couldnt  afford the repairs. The none fault driver would still shoulder the costs. It's just not workable. At least now there is the MIB that covers uninsured drivers. It's funded from insurance companies. No insurance companies, mean no MIB.
And that's before you look at injuries. You get paralysed with a potential claim that could be easily 6 figures. How to you start chasing that?
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Jell 0 Biafra

Quote from: JoG2 on March 22, 2024, 02:33:39 PMI enjoy the fact that speeding penalty points stay on your record for 4 years, but insurance companies keep them on their records for 5 years.. Nice wee additional earner for them

Don't speed and you'll be grand.

Olly

Does anyone know if it's possible yo insure your own vegetables against the frost?
Access to this webpage has been denied . This website has been categorised as "Sexual Material".

David McKeown

Quote from: JoG2 on March 22, 2024, 02:33:39 PMI enjoy the fact that speeding penalty points stay on your record for 4 years, but insurance companies keep them on their records for 5 years.. Nice wee additional earner for them

In Northern Ireland penalty points will appear on your licence for 4 years if imposed at the roadside or 5 years if imposed at court.  In either scenario they will only count for 3 years from date of incident.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

JoG2

Quote from: David McKeown on March 23, 2024, 07:20:26 PM

In Northern Ireland penalty points will appear on your licence for 4 years if imposed at the roadside or 5 years if imposed at court.  In either scenario they will only count for 3 years from date of incident.

Thanks David

Saffrongael

No claims bonus seems to mean nothing now too when renewing
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

armaghniac

In British Colombia and I think New Zealand the government runs third party insurance, although you can still buy Comprehensive etc from someone else.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Jim Bob

Quote from: Saffrongael on March 24, 2024, 01:42:37 PMNo claims bonus seems to mean nothing now too when renewing

How bad is it? Premiums up by what percent roughly from last year ??

STREET FIGHTER

My car insurance has been steady enough....a bit of an increase this year...

It's the house insurance that's killing me....

Nearly double from last year....

Apparently too many claims in the North and insurance companies pulling out leaving less options and nearly zero competition...