Pay~for~Play

Started by ziggysego, April 24, 2008, 12:13:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

QuoteDessie Farrell is on record stating that is his goal although he won't
say so publicly now.

So it's on record, in private?

It's on record because some ex-GPA member publicised it, and Farrell admitted he had said it, but it was 5 years ago and no longer applied. (Even though at the time he said it, he specifically mentioned that it would be a long road, and the issue (at the time) was a step on the road).

Uladh

Jesus

I..... I,

I agree with O'Neill.

There, it wasn't so hard after all.

orangeman

This is an well written and well put otgether piece by Ronan Mc Sherry - I'm sure he realises that the war is over on this issue but it is always good to have an end position even if you were defeated.

Hardy

Quote from: Hound on April 24, 2008, 01:16:15 PMJust like the Irish Sports Council can use taxpayers money to pay grants to amateur sportsmen, without impinging on their amateur status.

Grants? What grants? I didn't see any grants. I saw some expenses around here all right, but they were insignificant little things. No grants, though. No.

AZOffaly

Quote from: orangeman on April 24, 2008, 03:55:59 PM
This is an well written and well put otgether piece by Ronan Mc Sherry - I'm sure he realises that the war is over on this issue but it is always good to have an end position even if you were defeated.

It is not well written or put together in my opinion. An error like the one he made about what Dessie Farrell said at congress is brutal in such a piece.

orangeman

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 24, 2008, 04:25:55 PM

It is not well written or put together in my opinion. An error like the one he made about what Dessie Farrell said at congress is brutal in such a piece.

Frogive them that one blip AZ !  ;) :D Sure there's nonoe of us perfect ! But then you'll retort by saying, sure at least he's getting paid for it !!!!!

Which brings me neatly on - what happens if an IC player misses an easy shot for a point this summer, are we allowed to shout / criticise him for doing so, now that he is a member of staff ?

rosnarun

Real question

now that the grants are expenses will the players nolonger beable to claim the expenses they were previously? you surely cant get 2 lots of expenses for attending one training session/match.is this a huge net gain for CLG
Its probably been answered before but i havent heard it.
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Surreal Steve

Quote from: orangeman on April 24, 2008, 05:31:18 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on April 24, 2008, 04:25:55 PM

Frogive them that one blip AZ !  ;) :D Sure there's nonoe of us perfect ! But then you'll retort by saying, sure at least he's getting paid for it !!!!!

Which brings me neatly on - what happens if an IC player misses an easy shot for a point this summer, are we allowed to shout / criticise him for doing so, now that he is a member of staff ?

Yeah cos no-one ever criticised them before.  ::)  And "member of staff", wtf?

ONeill

Quote from: Uladh on April 24, 2008, 03:46:01 PM

Jesus

I..... I,

I agree with O'Neill.

There, it wasn't so hard after all.

Maybe we should date.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

ziggysego

The board's first Civil Partnership. How lovely.
Testing Accessibility

RMcSherry

As I wrote the column which appeared in the Tyrone Herald on Monday I have no problems with the criticisms but I have to take issue with remarks from AZOffaly who highlighted the following sentence which has since been deleted from the board though I would be happy if it were re-inserted.
the sentence refeered to was, "The most telling contribution of last weekend came from Dessie Farrell who said it will be incumbent on the GAA in three years time to continue paying the 'grants' after the government scheme is completed.
In his second post AZOffaly uses this line to state, "...an error like the one he made about what Dessie Farrell said at congress is brutal in such  a case."  In his forth post he says, "If you lie about what he actually said, rather than what you see are his private opinions, you are making an eejit out of yourself."
For starters I did not say Dessie Farrell said it at Congress rather over that weekend.  
Sourcing the Sunday Tribune of Sunday 13 April, Kieran Shannon writes, " Farrell also pointed out that while the GAA had no onus to fund the scheme should the government not renew it upon the expiry of the agreed three-year-period, it was incumbent on the GAA authorities "to make sure this funding remains available."
Not surprisingly a typically ambigious statement. It seems that Dessie does not care how they get it as long as they get it-and if the government don't renew it where else will it come from except the coffers of the GAA?
It is a matter of interpretation and we will know in three years.
I absolutly refute the allegation that I lied and am happy with that line.  

ONeill

So from Dessie saying -

"while the GAA has no onus to fund the scheme should the government not renew it upon the expiry of the agreed three-year-period, it was incumbent on the GAA authorities to make sure this funding remains available," you get, " Dessie Farrell said it will be incumbent on the GAA in three years time to continue paying the 'grants' after the government scheme is completed."

You claim Dessie said the GAA HAS to pay the grants in 2011?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

RMcSherry

I stand over what I wrote... and issue is being accused of telling a lie... is how I interpreted what he said beacuse is left wide open to interpretation. 

Hound

Quote from: RMcSherry on April 24, 2008, 09:16:03 PM
I stand over what I wrote... and issue is being accused of telling a lie... is how I interpreted what he said beacuse is left wide open to interpretation. 

You said:

"Dessie Farrell said it will be incumbent on the GAA in three years time to continue paying the 'grants' after the government scheme is completed"

He did not say that.

Instead of repeating what he said, you deliberately twisted it to suit your own agenda.

You lied.

AZOffaly

Quote from: RMcSherry on April 24, 2008, 08:55:58 PM
As I wrote the column which appeared in the Tyrone Herald on Monday I have no problems with the criticisms but I have to take issue with remarks from AZOffaly who highlighted the following sentence which has since been deleted from the board though I would be happy if it were re-inserted.
the sentence refeered to was, "The most telling contribution of last weekend came from Dessie Farrell who said it will be incumbent on the GAA in three years time to continue paying the 'grants' after the government scheme is completed.
In his second post AZOffaly uses this line to state, "...an error like the one he made about what Dessie Farrell said at congress is brutal in such  a case."  In his forth post he says, "If you lie about what he actually said, rather than what you see are his private opinions, you are making an eejit out of yourself."
For starters I did not say Dessie Farrell said it at Congress rather over that weekend. 
Sourcing the Sunday Tribune of Sunday 13 April, Kieran Shannon writes, " Farrell also pointed out that while the GAA had no onus to fund the scheme should the government not renew it upon the expiry of the agreed three-year-period, it was incumbent on the GAA authorities "to make sure this funding remains available."
Not surprisingly a typically ambigious statement. It seems that Dessie does not care how they get it as long as they get it-and if the government don't renew it where else will it come from except the coffers of the GAA?
It is a matter of interpretation and we will know in three years.
I absolutly refute the allegation that I lied and am happy with that line.   

Hi there RMcSherry

Thanks for coming on to clarify. I assumed (wrongly it seems) that you were referencing his quote from the Congress itself where he explicitly said there would be NO obligation on the GAA to continue funding these grants/expenses should the Government withdraw the funding. I apologise for that assumption, as it was clearly wrong. I also apologise for the 'liar' comment, which was spawned from the fact that I thought the comments were regarding the Congress statement.

I was unaware of any further statements from Dessie since then, until you posted the above. I do not feel Dessie Farrell said what you have inferred from his comment, but I understand why you would think it. However, you phrased it in such a way as to imply it was a direct statement, which it wasn't.

Myself and yourself probably have similar views regarding Dessie's end game, but I don't feel it lends credibility to try and 'twist' or interpet his comments. By all means bring up his prior statements, and those of Donal Óg etc, in a bid to cast doubt on their current public statements, but trying to spin what they say into something they didn't say only harms the argument you are trying to make.

Only my opinion of course and, as I say, I would share a lot of your concerns.

Welcome aboard.