Sam Maguire Group 2 - Galway, Armagh, Tyrone, Westmeath

Started by GAABoardMod5, May 23, 2023, 08:26:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smelmoth

Quote from: Manning18 on June 06, 2023, 03:10:50 AM
Quote from: armaghniac on June 05, 2023, 10:46:27 PM
Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on June 05, 2023, 10:32:35 PM
Wouldn't be happy with Breffni as a venue, a joke for Galway really given the travel distance compared to the opposition. Anywhere in South Armagh about an hour away, it's two hours from Tuam and as for travelling from West Galway forget it. I don't want to hear about the size of the Galway support base and how many might travel either way, this is an advantage that shouldn't be given in terms of venue access to Armagh.

What do you propose? Having it in the Hyde, that would advantage Galway just as much? Longford and Mullingar simply are too small.

If it was in the Hyde, the vocal Armagh support would (rightly) go bananas. Breffini is equally an unfair venue, if not worse

After a weekend of poor attendances though, it makes a decent crowd more likely, being close to the bigger fanbase. Still doesn't mean Galway should be the ones getting screwed though. Tullamore was/is a perfectly fair venue for both and more than big enough but sounds as if it's been allocated elsewhere

How would Breffni be less fare than Roscommon?

Breffni is significantly closer to equidistant than Roscommon.

Don't think there is a perfect venue. Breffni looks the best. And if it is Cavan just hope it doesn't rain. We got drenched there in the first round of the Ulster championship.

larryin89

An fhairche Abu , nah I think Galway will be off to croker where as the poor relation is off to tullamore .
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

joemamas

The utter incompetency of the GAA fixtures committee is there for all of Ireland to see.
it is not like somebody woke up yesterday morning and said ok the second round of games are over, now lets plan the round three games unbelievable, but not a surprise
BTW, I came up with a novel idea this morning, why don't the idiots, cut the admission charge by 50% (at a minimum for all the supporters who are season ticket members), and allow all kids under 16 free, as whoever advances will be almost certainly going to see their counties play in the following four to six weeks that follow.

An Fhairche Abu

They have known exactly which teams were playing each other in Round 3 and that they all had to be in neutral venues since the evening of May 14th, it's a ridiculous situation.

Manning18

Quote from: smelmoth on June 06, 2023, 01:13:16 PM
Quote from: Manning18 on June 06, 2023, 03:10:50 AM
Quote from: armaghniac on June 05, 2023, 10:46:27 PM
Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on June 05, 2023, 10:32:35 PM
Wouldn't be happy with Breffni as a venue, a joke for Galway really given the travel distance compared to the opposition. Anywhere in South Armagh about an hour away, it's two hours from Tuam and as for travelling from West Galway forget it. I don't want to hear about the size of the Galway support base and how many might travel either way, this is an advantage that shouldn't be given in terms of venue access to Armagh.

What do you propose? Having it in the Hyde, that would advantage Galway just as much? Longford and Mullingar simply are too small.

If it was in the Hyde, the vocal Armagh support would (rightly) go bananas. Breffini is equally an unfair venue, if not worse

After a weekend of poor attendances though, it makes a decent crowd more likely, being close to the bigger fanbase. Still doesn't mean Galway should be the ones getting screwed though. Tullamore was/is a perfectly fair venue for both and more than big enough but sounds as if it's been allocated elsewhere

How would Breffni be less fare than Roscommon?

Breffni is significantly closer to equidistant than Roscommon.

Don't think there is a perfect venue. Breffni looks the best. And if it is Cavan just hope it doesn't rain. We got drenched there in the first round of the Ulster championship.

Both cities are 2hr 25 from the further venue. Galway city is slightly further from Roscommon than Armagh from Cavan.

I won't get into a tit for tat on smaller towns but suffice to say that large swathes of Galway are 3-4 hrs from Cavan and there's not the equivalent.

There are perfectly fair venues available, namely Mullingar, Tullamore and Portloaise. The latter two comfortably cover any capacity concerns

larryin89

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on June 06, 2023, 03:00:53 PM
They have known exactly which teams were playing each other in Round 3 and that they all had to be in neutral venues since the evening of May 14th, it's a ridiculous situation.

I was of the same line of thought but John fogarty of the examiner tweeted last night an answer to such saying HQ couldn't budge on detail for third rd games cause of tv rights and a couple of other factors, make of that what you will . ( ps I'll keep my eye out for an all Ireland final ticket for ya when the time comes )
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

joemamas

Quote from: larryin89 on June 06, 2023, 03:18:31 PM
Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on June 06, 2023, 03:00:53 PM

I was of the same line of thought but John fogarty of the examiner tweeted last night an answer to such saying HQ couldn't budge on detail for third rd games cause of tv rights and a couple of other factors, make of that what you will . ( ps I'll keep my eye out for an all Ireland final ticket for ya when the time comes )
Larry,
That is a load of shite.
"The governing body of the games couldn't budge on details for tv rights ............"

Manning18

If I had to guess on the delay, i'd say what's been leaked for the past number of days was the plan for the last week or so. Namely Derry v Clare, Galway v Armagh in Croker, with the rest set in double headers in Tullamore, Portlaoise, Tyrone v Westmeath in Cavan and Monaghan v Donegal in Omagh.

Now, after their lovely long weekend off, they're in a pickle as Derry V Clare is a dead rubber that won't attract 1k and Galway v Armagh, a weird game with likely outcomes for each and a star player probably missing, won't attract 10k. So that coupled with shiite attendances last weekend probably want them moving that game out of Croker. I'd hazard a guess there's been a objection by Galway to Breffini, and also they've to find a new venue for the Tyrone game

bennydorano

ALL IRELAND SERIES FIXTURE UPDATE:

Ard Mhacha vs Gaillimh

🗓️ Sat 17 June
⏰ 4:00pm
📍 Avant Money Páirc Seán Mac Diarmada, Carrick-on-Shannon

#BringTheOrange #ArdMhachaAbú

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: larryin89 on June 06, 2023, 02:16:57 PM
An fhairche Abu , nah I think Galway will be off to croker where as the poor relation is off to tullamore .
Larry I'm feeling less confident I'll need a favour for that AI ticket.....

armaghniac

Quote from: bennydorano on June 06, 2023, 06:25:36 PM

Ard Mhacha vs Gaillimh

🗓️ Sat 17 June

That will take the wheels off the bandwagon. Not convenient for anyone. Can we just toss for it?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

bennydorano

I'm sure Louther and the Derry wan will be monitoring the attendance closely

trailer

Be interesting to see how many of these great Armagh fans make the journey.

trailer

Quote from: bennydorano on June 06, 2023, 06:25:36 PM

Ard Mhacha vs Gaillimh

🗓️ Sat 17 June

Think it's on the Sunday and not Saturday

armaghniac

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B