Galway, Salthill, Ballinasloe

Started by maddog, January 12, 2009, 08:57:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

maddog

Galway folks,
Can you recommend the finest stout drinking establishments in the Salthill and Galway area, we are over there this weekend coming, staying in Salthill although the match is in Ballinalsoe.
Also anywhere in Ballinasloe for pre and post match pints ?

the Deel Rover

I'd allways pop in to Anthony "larry" Finnertys pub when mayo are playing in salthill no better man to tell a few gaa stories   
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

heineken_on_tap

PJ Flaherty's Pub(PJ's) in Salthill is also a good spot for a few pints after a match. It wouldn't be good for spotting talent but grand for a few pints. O'connor's is a nice spot as well.

If you go into Galway City then the front door, dew drop or the king's head are all decent.... Not sure about drinking in Ballinasloe. Good few pubs along the main street though

GalwayBayBoy

Haven't a clue about Ballinasloe pubs to be honest.

Lads have covered Salthill fairly well there. PJ's, O'Connor's, The Cottage, etc.

In Galway then around the bottom of Shop St/Cross St area you have Taaffe's, Dew Drop Inn and Tigh Neachtain's. Then if you are looking for talent try the Front Door, King's Head, Busker's or the Living Room. Around Dominick Street direction then you've got Roisin Dubh's and Massimo's.

Lots of choice anyway.

lynchbhoy

OK thats the pubs sorted out
where would you recommend staying in Galway  - what hotel ?
Am looking at the G and the Radisson down the road from it...

Also is the 'Malt house' restaurant still going, is it as good as it used to be?

TIA

declan85

GBB has it spot on there for galway city...
In bsloe most the pubs are on the main street. Theres a good sports pub just offa main street near roundabout, horse racing on tv all day and at least 4 bookies within 30 paces of the front door. The name escapes me at the minute...
The Usual is on main street, never been in it but have heard singin comin out of it at 5.30pm on a Tuesday???
An Tain & Egans are nice pubs as well.

Hope that helps ya!!!

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: lynchbhoy on January 13, 2009, 12:42:01 PM

Also is the 'Malt house' restaurant still going, is it as good as it used to be?

TIA

Malt House is still going. Popular at lunch time still. Not sure what it's like for an everning meal these days.

So many hotels to choose from really. The G would be great if you are bringing the other half as it's fairly swanky inside but a bit more expensive. Worth a stay if you were bringing herself along though. If it's just a few lads coming down you'd be better off sticking to the likes of the Radisson or Jurys Inn. Hard to beat its location as well.

http://www.galwayhotelguide.com/hotels-galway-hotels-query-result_Multiple.php?location=Galway%20City&p=1

lynchbhoy

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on January 13, 2009, 01:03:32 PM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on January 13, 2009, 12:42:01 PM

TIA

Malt House is still going. Popular at lunch time still. Not sure what it's like for an everning meal these days.

So many hotels to choose from really. The G would be great if you are bringing the other half as it's fairly swanky inside but a bit more expensive. Worth a stay if you were bringing herself along though. If it's just a few lads coming down you'd be better off sticking to the likes of the Radisson or Jurys Inn. Hard to beat its location as well.

http://www.galwayhotelguide.com/hotels-galway-hotels-query-result_Multiple.php?location=Galway%20City&p=1

Thanks GBB
its me and the missus so thats gonna have to be the G !

the Deel Rover

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on January 13, 2009, 12:32:42 PM
Haven't a clue about Ballinasloe pubs to be honest.

Lads have covered Salthill fairly well there. PJ's, O'Connor's, The Cottage, etc.

In Galway then around the bottom of Shop St/Cross St area you have Taaffe's, Dew Drop Inn and Tigh Neachtain's. Then if you are looking for talent try the Front Door, King's Head, Busker's or the Living Room. Around Dominick Street direction then you've got Roisin Dubh's and Massimo's.

Lots of choice anyway.

My favourite pub in Galway nothing better than wandering in to taffes around 5.30 ordering a pint of plain and listening to the musicians do their stuff
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Rossie11

Galway GAA jerseys aside  :P Taaffes is the spot for a Saturday session.. A glue pot.
Monroes on Dominic Street is a good spot at weekends.

Harbour Hotel, Jurys or the House Hotel are all in the middle of the city and would be reasonable priced.

The squinted eye

Glenlo Abbey would be a good place to bring the missus as well, I would see which one is cheaper and go with that. I dont like the G too much, maybe they have come down in price, I remember getting a sandwich and coffee in there and I came out shook, I remember having to ask the missus for some small change as what I had got back from the 20 euros wasnt enough to leave as a tip. Glenlo is a bit out but if your wife is like mine you will need a taxi to get to either place anyways

There is a new restaurant called the Asian Teahouse which I ate in recently down by Sally Longs, I  like my oriental food and this was one of the nicest I was everin

GalwayBayBoy

G is a bit pricey alright but I wouldn't eat and drink there. Just stay there and you can do everything else in town. Not my cup of tea really but women seem to love the place.

maddog

Ended up in an establishment called Garveys for most of Saturday night. It was just on the corner of the square. Pints were top drawer. Then went on to somewhere called Rabbittes one pint in there was plenty. Then onto An Pucan which was bouncing at about midnight. Stayed in the Clybaun in Salthill which was sound. I'll be back.