Shay Given retires from international football

Started by imtommygunn, August 13, 2012, 10:36:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

Tony Baloney

Quote from: imtommygunn on August 13, 2012, 10:36:32 PM
Official apparently.
Seen that earlier. I'm sure he would rather have gone out on the high of a decent Euro campaign but he has more than served his time.

Orangemac

125 caps and apart from the last 6 months or so a model of consistency.Best keeper Ireland ever had.

Performance that stands out was a 1-0 win for Ireland in Cyprus about 2004/2005.

Leo

Quote from: Orangemac on August 13, 2012, 10:43:22 PM
125 caps and apart from the last 6 months or so a model of consistency.Best keeper Ireland ever had.

Performance that stands out was a 1-0 win for Ireland in Cyprus about 2004/2005.

Completely correct, best by a mile, but on the slope for a few months now.
Fierce tame altogether

Denn Forever

I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

imtommygunn

The man is a legend. Pity he was carrying an injury into the euros.

As solid and dependable a keeper as has been in the top English league for a long time. Stayed at Newcastle too long.

Some immense games for Ireland. God knows they gave him plenty of practice!

Sanchez

Surprised there's as little posts as there is on this. Shay Given was one of Ireland's best performers for years and will be a tough task to replace. Kieron Westwood looks to be his successor? Anyway thanks for everything Shay, you served the country with distinction through good times and bad and were never one to rock the boat. Always got the impression it was a great honour for him to represent Ireland. All the best in the future.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Sanchez on August 14, 2012, 12:05:46 PM
Surprised there's as little posts as there is on this. Shay Given was one of Ireland's best performers for years and will be a tough task to replace. Kieron Westwood looks to be his successor? Anyway thanks for everything Shay, you served the country with distinction through good times and bad and were never one to rock the boat. Always got the impression it was a great honour for him to represent Ireland. All the best in the future.

A bit more here http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=14576.2205

Have to say he was one of the best. Only complaint was that he hogged the goalkeeper spot during his tenure. Not his fault, more shows his pride in lining out even for friendlies. But in doing so we have been left with alot of Keepers with little or no nternational experience.

Capt Pat

We are in trouble without a top qulaity keeper. The only other one who looked like he could be that was Joe Murphy. Where is he now?

Sportacus

Inspirational for Ireland to the point where if he wasn't playing we were fooked.  Seemed a nice fella off the pitch, down to earth.  Could Cluxton not do a job for us?

laoislad

Quote from: Sportacus on August 14, 2012, 02:32:52 PM
Inspirational for Ireland to the point where if he wasn't playing we were fooked.  Seemed a nice fella off the pitch, down to earth.  Could Cluxton not do a job for us?

Nah he would be forever coming up the pitch wanting to take the free kicks.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Sportacus

Ok then, forgot about big Durkan, another donegal man.  Bonner, Given, Durkan - I like that.

Evil Genius

Best keeper Ireland ever had.
Wonderful keeper, no doubt, but I'd have him 4th in my list. 
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Denn Forever

Quote from: Evil Genius on August 14, 2012, 03:44:05 PM

I'm intrigued.  I'd have Jennings, Bonner and Given in my top 4.  Can't think of a 4th.  What's your list?
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

AQMP

Quote from: Denn Forever on August 14, 2012, 03:50:15 PM
Quote from: Evil Genius on August 14, 2012, 03:44:05 PM

I'm intrigued.  I'd have Jennings, Bonner and Given in my top 4.  Can't think of a 4th.  What's your list?

I'd guess Harry Gregg might be in EG's 4