Geraghty & Fay - New Twist, Harnan and Callaghan Step Down as selectors

Started by The Claw, May 20, 2011, 01:15:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hound

Quote from: thejuice on May 23, 2011, 12:00:07 PM
yeah, i don't think anyone has a problem with the Double G :P in the panel if he's up to it.

it's the fact that the Selectors were being completely disregarded seems to be the issue.

However if the County Board get rid of Banty at this juncture then they are a bigger bunch of clowns than I took them for.

You'd have to wonder has the resignation of Harnan and Callaghan to do with them not being told or the fact that it was Geraghty? If it was Noddy Nobody from Ardcath who'd impressed Banty in a club game and he'd invited him onto the panel - would Harnan and Callaghan have resigned because they werent told in advance? I doubt it.

I'd say a lot of his former teammates could tell plenty of stories about why they don't like him.

Flynn is on RTE website today saying the decision is "ludicrous". Says he's "three years out of football". Doesnt mention a thing about his club form, presumably because the intention is to give no benefit of doubt to either Banty or Geraghty.

Personally I think if you're good enough and fit enough then you've every right to be on the panel, and every panel should be open-ended to allow for players losing form and players making a case with their club football. If this was a "nice" ex-player being brought back, like Trevor Giles, the spin on this would be completely different, it'd be a positive story about how age is no barrier, etc. 

orangeman

Full story from rte by Bernie Flynn :

Meath legend Bernard Flynn has described Seams McEnaney bringing Graham Geraghty back into their panel as 'ludicrous', with the county's two selectors having quit their positions over the move.

Liam Harnan and Barry O'Callaghan cut their ties with the team after 38-year-old Geraghty re-joined Meath with just over two weeks to the start of their Championship campaign.

Speaking on Sport At 7 on RTÉ Radio 1, Flynn said: 'I know Seamus and wished him well when he started. But the decision to bring Graeme back I could not understand. I basically thought it was ludicrous.

'At 38-years-of ago, the question is not how good a footballer Graeme Geraghty is. I've said it many times - he is one of the greatest we ever had.

'He is a class act and different class on his day - that is not in question.

'But to bring in someone of 38 years of age with two weeks to go I cannot understand. In the long term I don't know how it will work out, particularly with young players within the squad.

'Geraghty is one guy that is in good shape, but at the end of the day he is three years out of football.

'Everyone's day comes when their time is up. At 38-years of age, your time is up at this level. I just cannot understand it.'

Flynn revealed that the news of the resignations has rocked football in Meath ahead of the Leinster Football Championship meeting with Kildare next month.

'Most people and supporters in Meath are in a state of shock. We certainly could do without it with less than two weeks to go in what will be a tough assignment against Kildare.

'It is a shame really. There are no winners in this situation. The lads have to be respected for the decision. I don't think it was made lightly. Everyone was behind Seamus McEnaney when he got the job.

'There was a split in the county over how and why and when he got it but everyone was rowing in at that stage. I don't think a poor league has helped. This has just rocked the county.'

Flynn feels Meath can still do the business against Kildare if they focus on the task at hand and not the distractions that have stemmed from Geraghty's inclusion.

'The players have to focus on Sunday week. It is a little bit of a distraction and leadership is needed now than ever before.

'There are enough guys in there and decent players that will rally the troops and get everyone focused on beating Kildare.

'Lets be honest, if we do beat Kildare, everything would be ok and we'd probably have a big game with Dublin. It is just a shame the two selectors felt strong enough to walk away.'

Jinxy

Quote from: Hound on May 24, 2011, 09:14:23 AM
yeah, i don't think anyone has a problem with the Double G :P in the panel if he's up to it.

it's the fact that the Selectors were being completely disregarded seems to be the issue.

However if the County Board get rid of Banty at this juncture then they are a bigger bunch of clowns than I took them for.

You'd have to wonder has the resignation of Harnan and Callaghan to do with them not being told or the fact that it was Geraghty? If it was Noddy Nobody from Ardcath who'd impressed Banty in a club game and he'd invited him onto the panel - would Harnan and Callaghan have resigned because they werent told in advance? I doubt it.

I'd say a lot of his former teammates could tell plenty of stories about why they don't like him.

Flynn is on RTE website today saying the decision is "ludicrous". Says he's "three years out of football". Doesnt mention a thing about his club form, presumably because the intention is to give no benefit of doubt to either Banty or Geraghty.

Personally I think if you're good enough and fit enough then you've every right to be on the panel, and every panel should be open-ended to allow for players losing form and players making a case with their club football. If this was a "nice" ex-player being brought back, like Trevor Giles, the spin on this would be completely different, it'd be a positive story about how age is no barrier, etc.

Good idea.
We should get Trevor back too.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

The Claw

I doubt it was one single incident that caused this Hound. If the management team were getting along fine and Dandy up to know do you really think that they would have resigned just because Geraghty was called back? I'd say Banty was at this the whole time and they eventually had enough.

Hound

Quote from: The Claw on May 24, 2011, 11:40:01 AM

I doubt it was one single incident that caused this Hound. If the management team were getting along fine and Dandy up to know do you really think that they would have resigned just because Geraghty was called back? I'd say Banty was at this the whole time and they eventually had enough.

Maybe so, but I find it hard to ignore the fact that they go as soon as Geraghty arrives. Says a lot about their relationship with GG.

ross matt

Lads how come O'Rourke has never thrown his hat in the ring for the job?
He's mentioned in his mewspaper columns that he'd like to do it "some day".
He has experience at club/colleges/international rules not to mention his iconic status as a player.

thejuice

he was Under 21 manager for the last few years with limited success.

He wants fundamental changes on the county board and underage structures first and they aren't likely to happen soon.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

DB_An_Mhi

He has a demanding enough day job at St. Pats, a cushy number in RTE and other business activities. Where would he find the time. Of course he likes to mention his son as a reason not to take on the managerial role. Maybe when he retires from his school he would have the time to give the job his full attention. However his managerial career with club and underage county teams do not exactly fill me with confidence. A grassroots re-structuring of things in Meath would be a far more progressive move.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: ross matt on May 23, 2011, 09:48:18 PM
Just to make it clear Lynchboy and The Juice .... Hayes DID actually say GG was a genuis of a player and that neutrals and Hayes included would pay just to see him play.  It was his personality and "baggage" he was referring to.
Fair enugh, but its the same baggage and personality he always had and when he was last on the panel !!
I think a few fringe players might be put out, but I dont believe that there would be too many lads on the panel that would be unhappy that GG is back in the fold. Even if they dont see eye to eye with him, they know he has the exp and was one of the best. He may still be good enough.
Only the lad whose place he takes might be peed off !
imo

Jinxy

Quote from: lynchbhoy on May 25, 2011, 11:29:36 AM
Just to make it clear Lynchboy and The Juice .... Hayes DID actually say GG was a genuis of a player and that neutrals and Hayes included would pay just to see him play.  It was his personality and "baggage" he was referring to.
Fair enugh, but its the same baggage and personality he always had and when he was last on the panel !!
I think a few fringe players might be put out, but I dont believe that there would be too many lads on the panel that would be unhappy that GG is back in the fold. Even if they dont see eye to eye with him, they know he has the exp and was one of the best. He may still be good enough.
imo

In fairness he's mellowed a bit with age.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Jinxy on May 25, 2011, 12:20:56 PM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on May 25, 2011, 11:29:36 AM
imo
In fairness he's mellowed a bit with age.
I havent encountered him for well over a decade, but all i am saying is that at 'worst' its the same baggage and presonality etc as he had when last in the Meath panel.
Given Meath defenders are no great shakes right now, he could do a fantastic job somewhere in the defense - though chances are they will play him in the feckin forwards!

squire_in_navy_slacks

Quote from: ross matt on May 24, 2011, 02:42:48 PM
Lads how come O'Rourke has never thrown his hat in the ring for the job?
He's mentioned in his mewspaper columns that he'd like to do it "some day".
He has experience at club/colleges/international rules not to mention his iconic status as a player.

Because orourke likes to think hes actually better than he is, he is a good pundit though, talks sense whilst brolly and spillane boil over

Who would take orourke place on the panel if he left, bernard flynn perhaps ?????

Mentalman

Can't see the two bucks resignations being anything to do with GG himself, the move itself has to be the straw that broke the camels back in the relationship between themselves and Banty. As LB says GG could be an excellent addition to a backline, where Meath have shown real weakness, wasn't his first All-Star as a half back? Also he was the type of player who could lift the levels of those around him. As for Bernie Flynn's point about it not being a move for the future, well guess what? While Banty maybe concerned with the future of Meath football, I imagine he's more concerned about his own place in it and right now he doesn't have one. At a minimum he'd need to do serious damage in Leinster to keep his job, if not a run to the AI semi I'd reckon to have any chance at this stage. Once his future is secured then he'll concern himself with Meath's. It's always an issue with any manager, but probably more so with an out of county manager - looking to future development as opposed to keeping their job. Then again, knowing that, in general, why else would you hire an out of county manager other than for short term success? Almost inevitably it leaves a poor legacy behind.
"Mr Treehorn treats objects like women man."

DB_An_Mhi

Good post MM, Banty and Harnan were never going to be compatible given that each had different plans, and would be afforded completely different time scales to achieve it. Just because a (small) few players are nearing the end of their inter-county careers, Banty's short term view prevails. I myself would prefer Harnan's vision given that the team needs to evolve rather than be broken up and rebuilt from scratch if this season doesn't work out. I much prefer the sound of a lasting legacy, than the quick fix approach.

orangeman

Top Meath officials Barney Allen and Cyril Creavin are set to fill the selector roles vacated by Liam Harnan and Barry Callaghan on Sunday night, according to a report.

The Irish Independent reports that County Board Chairman Allen and Secretary Creavin will take over on an interim basis with Meath's first Championship match of the summer - a clash with 2010 All-Ireland semi-finalists Kildare - set to take place in less than two weeks.