2018 National Football League Division 4

Started by Junior Ex Laoistalk, October 14, 2017, 11:40:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BallyroanAbu

Seriously who are we fooling ? Simply put we have no business talking about football if we manage to get beaten by a county which is struggling every year to field teams let alone win.  I refuse to underplay our hand, we quite simply are in the strongest position we have been in years.  Our manager is an impressive individual who seems to be getting the vast majority of calls right.  He is a breath of fresh air and should be resourced accordingly.  The amount of money wasted over the last five years on complete ineptitude is staggering,  It may be an inexperienced management setup but they are getting results and I think the majority of us would agree going about their business in the right way.  I am not getting ahead of myself as I feel Sugrue got a break by being in Div 4, of course life would be much more difficult in Div 2 & 3   The standard level of Div 4 is appalling for anyone that enjoys football I would think Portlaoise would be capable of beating most of teams down there.

I have advocated this the vast majority of time that we have been on the GAAboard  forum, namely that there are more than enough lads with the intelligence & capability of being managers of our inter county team within the county.  The amount of mercenaries/muppets that got paid to be here over the years is unbelievable, it's fine every now and again to shoot for the stars with a Micko to get us over the line.  But I would much prefer one of own who has come through the ranks and knows ever facet of our county club scene.

P.S I realize Sugrue is from Kerry but he qualifies under the residency rule :)

Don Draper

As Sugrue himself would say "Cmere I wancha, my son is a Laois man, my wife is a Laois woman, I'm a Laois man". He's been in Laois on and off close to 15 years now. He's one of our own. Spoke very impressively last night, as did the rest of the county management of the grades. Shame there wasn't more representatives from the clubs present to listen to them, they might have learned something.

Unison

Don, were there many clubs not represented last night? Who ever they are they should be ashamed. They are the people holding Laois football back.

How did Billy O'Loughlin come across last night?

And the minor manager?

Laoiseabu

Who are we fooling you say? As I said the hardest ties have to come . Seen a stat there Leitrim only scored 0-5 against Carlow and 0-5 against Antrim put managed 3-10 against us plus missed a penalty and one or two more point blank goals. So it's not as if we are invincible in this division. A defensive plan will need to be sorted out before the championship and maybe even against Carlow and Antrim.

BallyroanAbu

No arguments on tighter defense and any improvements that need implemented, , I don't think the Div 4 teams will test us in that regard.  The unfortunate thing for Laois is that their frailties will be exposed by the better teams in championship where there is little time to rectify them.  I just don't see three mentioned in that regard.

Laoiseabu

Yeah good point actually but I still feel we should be working on a defensive plan for the "better teams" in the championship so we are prepared for it . But I suppose first and foremost get out of div4 and then start preparing for the definite fact we will be facing better opposition come some point in the championship. We can't be giving away scores at ease like before . Clare hit us for 2-18 last year and a poor Offaly side hit us for 3-16 in the league .the second half in Leitrim brought back bad memories that worry me. I think we should beat Wexford in the championship but after that I'd be worried about what the Westmeath or Kildare foward could do to us .

OTF

Quote from: Junior Ex Laoistalk on February 27, 2018, 02:12:56 AM

Antrim are the only team in Div.4 who haven't conceded a goal yet. That's a statistic we can aim to change next week as well as getting the two points.
They scored 2-56 where we have scored 4-40, that's 62 to 52 so we could be up against it next Sunday.

Carlow too are scoring very freely so we will have to tighten up at the back to win both of these games.
It's gonna be tough from here on in and anyone thinks any different are only fooling themselves.

John Sugrue's thoughts on the game last Sunday
https://soundcloud.com/midlandssport/john-sugrue-post-wicklow

If we beat Antrim and London we'er up  right  ??

Laoiseabu

Ye if we beat Antrim and London the last match is effectively a friendly

Junior Ex Laoistalk

If we beat  Antrim and London we get promoted. The last game is against Carlow who we will probably meet again in the Division 4 final shortly afterwards.
Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

Unlaoised

Quote from: Laoiseabu on February 27, 2018, 05:23:03 PM

They might not even play it if fixtures get cancelled much in the next two weeks!
LAOIS ABÚ

BrendanAntrim

If we are off this week due to the weather, and we go on to beat Carlow at home before visiting Laois...that would be a very tasty affair. :)

blueandwhite1

Quote from: Unlaoised on February 28, 2018, 09:19:57 AM
Quote from: Laoiseabu on February 27, 2018, 05:23:03 PM

They might not even play it if fixtures get cancelled much in the next two weeks!

It will still be an important game for Antrim who could get promoted if we manage to beat Carlow in the regular league match.

town1980

It won't be yee are the worst team in ulster and have been for a long time

on the hop

Quote from: town1980 on February 28, 2018, 05:26:11 PM
It won't be yee are the worst team in ulster and have been for a long time

And beat us last year