The DUP thread

Started by armaghniac, December 31, 2022, 05:22:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

naka

Quote from: seafoid on April 14, 2023, 03:00:50 PM
https://www.theguardian.com/stage/2018/sep/30/stephen-rea-british-identity-is-dwindling-brexit-samuel-beckett-cyprus-avenue#:~:text=The%20Belfast%20I%20grew%20up,flag%2C%20all%20that%20stuff.%E2%80%9D

The Belfast I grew up in was a pre-Troubles city, so not progressive in any meaningful way. Put simply, they would not do anything the Free State [Ireland] did. They got rid of the Irish language, they banned the Irish flag, all that stuff."

Unionists were, and still are, cut off not just from Catholics and from Ireland, but from the world. It's pure isolation. And it is so drummed into the young that they cannot let go of these views."
Seafoid
Fabulous article and genuinely first time I read the poem
Thanks

trailer

Stormont budget cuts look to be very deep and severe. CHH is out to punish the DUP (and the rest of us by extension) for their treatment of May when they were in a confidence and supply agreement and for their unwillingness to go into Stormont.

LC

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-65378104

The likes of this article today is telling, usually when the private sector gets it a bit tight the construction industry still has public sector works to fall back on however if the housing markets continues to slow down you are looking at a perfect storm.

I would not be surprised if the budget comes out on Friday, always a good day to try and out put out bad news, especially on a bank holiday weekend.

weareros

Is he punishing DUP or are these hard choices the Assembly parties would rather London make. Could not see SF or DUP wanting to be associated with water charges, higher university fees, prescription charges, over 60s travel, cuts in civil service workforce. But if Assembly was up and running, how would the £600m financial hole  be raised?

seafoid

The DUP are expected to go back to Stormont next month after the local elections.

marty34

Quote from: seafoid on April 25, 2023, 07:59:27 PM
The DUP are expected to go back to Stormont next month after the local elections.

Do you think so?

I'd say they'll not go in until after the marching season...plus with a sweetner from they Tory Party to sell to their faithful as a win.

seafoid

Quote from: marty34 on April 25, 2023, 08:01:52 PM
Quote from: seafoid on April 25, 2023, 07:59:27 PM

Do you think so?

I'd say they'll not go in until after the marching season...plus with a sweetner from they Tory Party to sell to their faithful as a win.
That's what Newton Emerson expects

NAG1

It was always about holding out to after the LE, go as hard line as the TUV so as not to lose too many seats. After that then to see about getting some way back into Stormont.

It's a pity their voter base is simply that bigoted that they don't care about public services or schools or hospitals to see through this sh*t show.

imtommygunn

I remain to be convinced they'll go back into government tbh. I think they are shooting themselves in the foot if they do and will lose votes going in with a SF first minister.

On the flip side the north is unworkable with no government so they are also shooting themselves in the foot by not going in as it will expedite talk of a united ireland further than they have already done.

trailer

I'm sceptical as well as to whether they'll go back. But huge cuts are coming and huge choices. Public works are paused for the foreseeable and other publicly funded groups are shutting their doors it is a terrible look for all our parties but especially the DUP.
CHH is out to punish the DUP. Two reasons. One because they won't form a Government and two just to show those uppity Ulster upstarts that they don't rule WM.

trueblue1234

If the DUP go in to stormont in the morning, are things likely to change? Would the wee 6 have access to any more finances? Genuinely interested to hear?
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

ardtole

Quote from: trailer on April 26, 2023, 09:17:00 AM
I'm sceptical as well as to whether they'll go back. But huge cuts are coming and huge choices. Public works are paused for the foreseeable and other publicly funded groups are shutting their doors it is a terrible look for all our parties but especially the DUP.
CHH is out to punish the DUP. Two reasons. One because they won't form a Government and two just to show those uppity Ulster upstarts that they don't rule WM.

I don't think the torys have forgot the "milk and no sugar" statement from Ian Og, there is a bit more knife twisting and revenge in store yet.

weareros

Quote from: trueblue1234 on April 26, 2023, 10:37:56 AM
If the DUP go in to stormont in the morning, are things likely to change? Would the wee 6 have access to any more finances? Genuinely interested to hear?

Some have suggested the harsh cuts are to force DUP back in and then they - ie DUP - will get a reward. Brian Feeney is sceptical of that in todays Irish News as Britain is broke and there's no Tory votes in North.

grounded

Arlene was right!

The IRA will offer hundreds of billions of dollars in grants, loans, tax incentives and subsidies to support the production of goods such as electric vehicles and green energy - the catch being that recipients must manufacture on US soil.

LC

Quote from: trueblue1234 on April 26, 2023, 10:37:56 AM

25 years post the GFA the British Government are long past the point of bank rolling the wee 6, time for us this country to enter the real world of operating within your means.  British Government do not give 2 hoots about this place and DUP have absolutely no leverage.  All politicians will at no doubt return to Stormont in the next few months but will probably be motivated by getting their wages and those and all their cronies back up to were it was.  By that stage all the tough calls will have been made (which none of them would ever have the balls to do) so easy for them to just point the figure at Westminster.