The DUP thread

Started by armaghniac, December 31, 2022, 05:22:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

square_ball

Now Sammy has weighed in with his 2 cents worth and called Joe Biden a bigot like his mother.

AustinPowers

Quote from: Orior on April 13, 2023, 09:30:16 PM
After telling her audience that Biden hated the UK, Snarlene Foster has taken offence at the president not flying the union fleg on his presendential car.

At lunchtime today, Ben Lowry let slip that the DUP/Unionists are not good at diplomacy. Who knew!

They really are   going out  of their way to be offended . 

No amount of talking , pandering,  gestures etc will  ever be enough  for them or  will ever please them. It  is time to reform Stormont , and move on without  them.  For all Stormont 's  ills , at least reforming  it will be a big statement  , ie . that  we've all had enough of  your sh1t. 

marty34

After telling her audience that Biden hated the UK, Snarlene Foster has taken offence at the president not flying the union fleg on his presendential car.

At lunchtime today, Ben Lowry let slip that the DUP/Unionists are not good at diplomacy. Who knew!

When Ben's giving out, you're in a bad place.

johnnycool

Quote from: AustinPowers on April 13, 2023, 10:23:46 PM

They really are   going out  of their way to be offended . 

No amount of talking , pandering,  gestures etc will  ever be enough  for them or  will ever please them. It  is time to reform Stormont , and move on without  them.  For all Stormont 's  ills , at least reforming  it will be a big statement  , ie . that  we've all had enough of  your sh1t.

Sleepy Joe offending the Brits again with his speech in Dublin saying the UK Gov should be doing more with the Irish Gov to resolve the issues in NI, he's very right as since May (Theresa that is ) no UK Prime minister has given two flying fĂșcks for this place and yet the DUP lick their balls like the subservient slaves that they are..

marty34

I wonder will the TUV take many seats off the DUP in the local elections in May?

DUP still playing the 'hardline' card for this election, so it mightn't affect them that much.

yellowcard

Unionism is all over the place and Jeffrey Donaldson has had little or no control of the DUP since taking over. In the last few days you had Wilson, Foster, Wells and Paisley all queuing up from the sidelines to have a pop at the US presidents visit and then you have that ultra antagonist Bryson meeting with him regularly for god knows what. It all sits well with their base but the optics look terrible from the outside world looking in. But none of those DUP politicians have any money concerns so they can afford to whip up the masses for their own political and financial benefits. 

Add to that their use of propaganda outlets such as the Newsletter, GB News and the Nolan Show which are used as a political tool and which are all designed to whip up fear & division and Unionism is in a sorry state. No long term strategy whatsoever except for hurdling through the next election with the same old tired, negative voices.     

Itchy

When these people stick 2 fingers up at the most powerful man in the world you really understand that there is no dealing, negotiating or finding common ground with them. They'd let the world burn so long as there was a union jack flying on a pole somewhere. The only question is when will protestants/unionists see that there is no future for them if they continue to vote in these dinosaurs

tyrone08

Hardline unionists have enough support for the next 10-15 years. By that stage majority of the hardcore elders who cling to the trouble era will be dead, then we should see a softer unionists stance the younger generation come through who care more about jobs and wages rather than flags and Britain.

imtommygunn

Quote from: yellowcard on April 14, 2023, 09:58:34 AM
Unionism is all over the place and Jeffrey Donaldson has had little or no control of the DUP since taking over. In the last few days you had Wilson, Foster, Wells and Paisley all queuing up from the sidelines to have a pop at the US presidents visit and then you have that ultra antagonist Bryson meeting with him regularly for god knows what. It all sits well with their base but the optics look terrible from the outside world looking in. But none of those DUP politicians have any money concerns so they can afford to whip up the masses for their own political and financial benefits. 

Add to that their use of propaganda outlets such as the Newsletter, GB News and the Nolan Show which are used as a political tool and which are all designed to whip up fear & division and Unionism is in a sorry state. No long term strategy whatsoever except for hurdling through the next election with the same old tired, negative voices.     

It is a very fragmented party but for some reason it still works. I still think they basically hang on the ticket of "we're not SF".

I would say you're right tyrone08. I don't think they are going anywhere soon but they will eventually.

Also I wish their lies would be called out significantly more. They did not tell their voters they would bring down stormont prior to doing so and you see Pengelly swanning round there having earned nothing.

At least in one regard the world has now seen we have known all along - that they're bonkers and just can't be reasoned with at all.

Keyboard Warrior

Quote from: marty34 on April 14, 2023, 09:11:05 AM
I wonder will the TUV take many seats off the DUP in the local elections in May?

DUP still playing the 'hardline' card for this election, so it mightn't affect them that much.

Even if the DUP moved to a more moderate position, the TUV wouldn't take much off them. Always found this curious as to why the DUP feel they need to protect their right flank.
TUV have been on the go for 15 years now. I put their occasional popularity in the polls to the unionist electorates opinion of Jim Allister. Unfortunately for them, he can only stand in one constituency. Even the most prominent of their other candidates wouldn't be the most, shall we kindly say, impressive of individuals. When Jim goes, the party will go (bar an odd councilor).

johnnycool

Quote from: imtommygunn on April 14, 2023, 10:39:04 AM

It is a very fragmented party but for some reason it still works. I still think they basically hang on the ticket of "we're not SF".

I would say you're right tyrone08. I don't think they are going anywhere soon but they will eventually.

Also I wish their lies would be called out significantly more. They did not tell their voters they would bring down stormont prior to doing so and you see Pengelly swanning round there having earned nothing.

At least in one regard the world has now seen we have known all along - that they're bonkers and just can't be reasoned with at all.

This in a nutshell.

The days of saying each side is as bad as each other needs to be questioned as it was never the case and now anyone having to deal with the DUP are seeing what they are like and that includes Sunak who evidently bowed to their pressure and downgraded Bidens visit as per their wishes and made him and the UK look pathetic to the US.

https://www.irishecho.com/2023/4/cold-house-for-biden-no-love-lost-between-americans-and-british-during-visit#.ZDfEVTqtVSx.twitter

marty34

I think a lot will change in the next 10 years.

Now is like the old science experiment when it took ages for the water to change colour, then with one drop, the colour changes dramatically.

This is what is happening now with the demographics and the next few years, things will change dramatically.

Demographics is the big shaker now. 

trailer

Quote from: marty34 on April 14, 2023, 11:20:18 AM

Now is like the old science experiment when it took ages for the water to change colour, then with one drop, the colour changes dramatically.

This is what is happening now with the demographics and the next few years, things will change dramatically.

If you think demographics and demographics alone will deliver a united Ireland you are deluded.

JPGJOHNNYG

Quote from: trailer on April 14, 2023, 12:06:43 PM
Quote from: marty34 on April 14, 2023, 11:20:18 AM

If you think demographics and demographics alone will deliver a united Ireland you are deluded.

Demographics alone won't work because too many nationalists leaning people don't vote or spunk their vote on the alliance party who talk a good game but literally have zero interest in a UI

imtommygunn

Quote from: johnnycool on April 14, 2023, 11:12:47 AM
Quote from: imtommygunn on April 14, 2023, 10:39:04 AM

This in a nutshell.

The days of saying each side is as bad as each other needs to be questioned as it was never the case and now anyone having to deal with the DUP are seeing what they are like and that includes Sunak who evidently bowed to their pressure and downgraded Bidens visit as per their wishes and made him and the UK look pathetic to the US.

https://www.irishecho.com/2023/4/cold-house-for-biden-no-love-lost-between-americans-and-british-during-visit#.ZDfEVTqtVSx.twitter

You can see Biden has very very little regard for Sunak. The Brits are becoming an international embarassment tbh. Johnson's tenure and Brexit have really hammered that home.