The Armagh Harps Thread

Started by Rufus T Firefly, November 10, 2006, 11:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: corn02 on September 24, 2008, 02:41:17 PM
Ihave seen the Harps probably as much as I have seen ourselves this year (which is not a lot )  and McKinney has always impressed me, what is the story age? County experience? etc etc

I think Philly did get a run for the County in recent years during the McKenna Cup, and if memory serves me well suffered a bad hand injury that left him sidelined for a while. I think he was asked on to the panel / asked to go for a trial by Peter McDonnell but declined, choosing instead to concentrate on the Club rather than wasting away in the County Squad.

Philly is a great athlete and a gentleman to boot, and is currently playing some of the best football of his career for us, IMHO.

corn02

Lads I know your nerves will be shot the night before the county final worrying about the Ogs but here is a way to calm them. You can read about the tragedy and the Gearld Fearon appeal at www.gfmemorialday.com. I am sure youhave read about it in the news over the last two years. A lot more names to be added that I will update, anyone likely to head?

In case you cant see the writing it is Armagh v An allstar select managed by Joe Kernan and Mickey Harte:

Ref:Pat McEnaney

Players: include : Kierna McGeeney, Conor Mortimer, Graham Geraghty, Paddy Bradley, Seanie Johnston, Paul Barden, Karol Mannion, Eamon O'Hara, Ross Munnelly, Brian Dooher, BRyan Cullen, Marty McGrath.

Saturday, October 18th. Dromintee.

Golden Oldies too - names to be revealed.

stew

C'mon the Harps. Now would be a good time for the greatest victory in club history. Cross are the business but the Harps will know they can be beat, the Ogs have had them on the rack a couple of times in the championship, and dromintee should have beaten them a few times as well.

If the harps will midfield and can get quality ball into the forwards they just might cause an upset the likes of which has never ben seen before in Armagh football.

I have 50 quid on with  my brother that the Harps hold them to eight points or less.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

corn02

I have no doubt that you will have 50 to spend. I can't see Cross winning by 8, then again I would have said that before Clans.

Candyman

Stew get your brother to take a wee trip to the Credit Union and I'll have some of that....  ;)

stew

Quote from: corn02 on September 29, 2008, 09:10:35 AM
I have no doubt that you will have 50 to spend. I can't see Cross winning by 8, then again I would have said that before Clans.

He seems to think that Cross will win by at least ten points, I know they are a powerful side and all but ffs ten points??????

Anything can happen, the harps could play the game of their lives, Cross could have an off day with a couple of men sent off and the ref might throw an odd free or two the way of the harps.

I have them winning in my heart, the head says different but I cant help hoping.

I am meeting the brother in Florida in two weeks or so, i will happily collect my winnings then and buy myself a ticket to a orlando magic game. I have the money already spent.
:)
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Rufus T Firefly

Harps v St Patricks

Our Minors made it back to the County Final for the first time in five years when they overcame County Champions St Patricks in Ballymacnab this afternoon, after a close and hard fought contest played in torrential rain throughout.

Harps started off attacking the dressing room goals but it was St Pats who grabbed the early initiative, but were denied a certain goal by a brilliant save from Harps' keeper Jarlath Goliski. St Pats followed up with a wide from play. Play was generally scrappy, given the conditions, with defences on top. Harps had a wide from a free before Conor 'Coco' Coulter scored a brilliant point with what seemed like a lost cause. St Pats returned to the attack and were denied by some great defensive play from John Vernon and Mark McCoy. St Pats did open their account although this was cancelled out by a long range Deccie McKenna point that bounced over the bar. St Pats began to dominate though and rattled over the next three points. However disaster struck for Harps when a needless free was conceded. The high ball into the square broke to an inrushing forward who volleyed to the net. Now five points in arrears, to their absolute credit the Harps responded magnificently. An effort for a point came back off the post and St Pats fouled Liam McKenna who had collected the rebound. Coco Coulter made no mistake with a point from the free. Harps had two bad wides before Deccie McKenna added two points through a free and a brilliant effort with the outside of the boot. As half time approached, St Pats returned to the attack, but were denied by some great defensive play by Shane Donnelly.

Half time, Harps 0-05, St Patricks 1-04.

Harps remained dominant as the second half started. Harps had a wide from a free before Coco pointed a close in free after the Harps forwards had turned over possession. Harps kept pressing. Great interplay between Paddy McCoy and Ethan Reilly saw a high centre get knocked down by full forward Jack Wilson into the path of Coco Coulter and he finished brilliantly to the net. To be fair to St Pats, they responded in great fashion and knocked over back to back points within minutes of conceding the goal. They had a wide before they managed to retake the lead with a point from a free that was moved up for stupid back chat to the ref. Once again though Harps dug in and scored an equaliser through another Coco Coulter free kick. Harps maintained the pressure and when a ball broke in the large parallelogram, Jack Wilson expertly finished to the net for a vital score. St Pats again struck back with two excellent points t leave the minimum between the sides. However Harps again stretched their lead with a point from a Coulter free. As the game went into injury time, the Harps supporters were desperate for the final whistle. This desperation increased when St Pats again pointed a close in free. St Pats came looking for the equaliser but the Harps defence held firm, and when Harps broke out, we won a free that was pointed by Coulter, to seal a brilliant two point victory.

Full time, Harps 2-08, St Patricks 1-09.

This was a great team victory for the Harps, built on guts and determination, and was a great way to start off a very big week-end. Congratulations to the management team of Bronco Breen, Onion McCreadie, Joe Darragh and Paul McKenna.     

thewingedlady

Brilliant result for the minors today considering that it was not the result the ref had in mind! Can't wait for the senior game tomorrow, dreaming of two county finals.

TacadoirArdMhacha

QuoteBrilliant result for the minors today considering that it was not the result the ref had in mind!

Complete nonsense.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

fcuksake

Congrats to the Minors today.... ;D ;D.

Excellent game today, Credit to both sides for serving up an entertaining game despite the horrid conditions.

I didnt think the Ref was too bad. 

Big day 2moro, Good luck to the lads. If you give 100% Ye can do no more, and maybe with a lucky break going our way.....who knows....who knows....

Harps by 1...... ???

I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.

sammy

congratulations to the minors  a great result ;D. oh and the ref was a plank !

nashville

I thought the ref had a good game, i think most Harpsmens arguments contrary to this would be that he somehow managed to pull 5 minutes of injury time from somewhere, and when Cullyhana got it back to a point 4 minutes into injury time he blew the keeper up for taking too long with the kick out and gave a hop ball. Now i don't think there would have been too many people there today who would have been surprised had he awarded a free-in after the hop ball. Up until this uncalled for injury time i thought he had a decent enough game

thewingedlady

Quote from: nashville on October 04, 2008, 11:19:05 PM
I thought the ref had a good game, i think most Harpsmens arguments contrary to this would be that he somehow managed to pull 5 minutes of injury time from somewhere, and when Cullyhana got it back to a point 4 minutes into injury time he blew the keeper up for taking too long with the kick out and gave a hop ball. Now i don't think there would have been too many people there today who would have been surprised had he awarded a free-in after the hop ball. Up until this uncalled for injury time i thought he had a decent enough game

I thought the throw-in for time wasting was pretty blatant tbh. He blew the whistle to signal for the kick out and within 2 seconds blew again for time-wasting. It was madness. Agreed, he did do a good job for 90% of the game, but his decisions in injury time onwards were infuriating. It looked liked he was trying to rob us! Having said that, through to the final so i'll get over it.

Gaffer

Anyone know if any radio station is carrying the mach live today?
"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

bennydorano