The Armagh Harps Thread

Started by Rufus T Firefly, November 10, 2006, 11:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: gaapunter on September 01, 2008, 03:17:12 PM
and the harps are certainly not on a par with any of the teams left in - apart from possibly clan eirann

:-*

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: Skiddybadoo on September 13, 2008, 04:11:17 PM
Condolences to the Harney family.

Like to add my sympathies on the passing of Mrs Harney - May She Rest In Peace.

I can only assume that the County Board did not want to create a precedent by calling the match off, as Championship matches do not get called off for bereavements. That said, given both Clubs were in agreement, it does come across as insensitive.

nashville

Great win today for Harps. After speaking to a few of the lads in the club afterwards it was great to hear that it meant so much to them. They actually seem to enjoy playing for the team now, although i suppose that is what 2 championship wins will do for a team. If this kind of form could have been produced earlier in the year maybe we would be playing Div 1 next season. Nippy Swift was magnificent today, does anyone know was Peter McDonnell in attendance?

They got the toughest draw possible in Ireland for the semi-final, i suppose nothing will be expected of them so they have nothing to lose. With Holmes and Vernon to come back Harps have a very strong "Diamond" in the middle with Holmes, Vernon, McKinney and Swift so i would expect Harps to win the midfield battle, its the Harps forward line that will have to tell on the day. Any frees won MUST be converted, and throw in a few lucky goals who knows? ::)

bennydorano

Our Seniors qualified for the County semi-finals for the first time since 2004 when they had two points to spare over Mullabawn in a hard fought encounter at Cullyhanna yesterday.

Harps v Mullabawn

Harps advanced to the County semi-final for the first time since 2004, when they overcame South Armagh side Mullabawn at Cullyhanna yesterday. The match was played on a heavy pitch in cold and blustery conditions and turned into a battle of attrition as the final whistle approached. Thankfully it was the Harps, playing with great pride and determination, who pulled out all the stops to get home by two points. 

For Harps supporters at the match, the day did not start well, with confirmation that the rumours of Charlie Vernon's injury were true and that he would play no part in the match. Gareth Richards came in to partner Philly McKinney at midfield. 

Harps started off playing down the hill with a considerable breeze in their favour and it was clear that we were going to need a significant lead at half time if we were to take the game. However it was Mullabawn who dominated early on. Harps had an early wide before Mullabawn had two wides of their own, both from free kicks. We eventually managed the opening score with a free from Kevin Kelly but Mullabawn continued to press and had three further bad wides, and were denied a goal when Willie McSorley got a vital touch to a close range effort, at the expense of a '50'. Harps eventually began to come into the match but had two bad wides before Gerard McDonagh scored a close range point after excellent work by Nippy. Kevin Kelly kicked Harps' third point from a bad kick out and when Kevin pointed a huge free kick from sixty yards, Harps looked to be in the driving seat. Harps continued to press. Joe Quigley found space inside the Mullabawn defence, and beat several defenders on a brilliant run, before being denied a goal by an excellent point blank save from the opposition keeper. Not only was this an important save, but Mullabawn were able to counterattack and score their opening point at the other end. They then followed this up with a terrible miss from a close in free and were made to pay when Kevin Kelly added a point for Harps from a free. As time run out Harps had two further wides before Kevin Kelly pointed another free to give Harps a five point lead, but Mullabawn managed the last score of the half with a point from a close in free that had been moved up for needless back chat to the referee.

Half time, Harps 0-06, Mullabawn 0-02.

There was concern amongst the Harps support as to whether a four point advantage would be enough to win the game, and these concerns were reinforced when Mullabawn opened the second half scoring with an excellent point from their number ten, that brought a huge roar of anticipation from their supporters. However to their credit, the lads dug deep, and after Joe Quigley had a wide from play, he quickly added a point from a thirty yard free. Mullabawn then replied with a wide from a scoreable free as scores proved to be at a premium. Ebby Toal then came into our attack for Sean Morrison who had received a yellow card for a late tackle. Harps though appeared to have weathered the storm when suddenly disaster struck. Our defence was caught sleeping as Mullabawn to a quick line ball to their number thirty. He raced in on the angle towards goal and crashed a brilliant left footed shot across Willie McSorley and into the far corner, to suddenly leave a point between the sides. Harps were stunned by this set back and when Mullabawn kicked the equaliser from play and took the lead for the first time with a point from a free, the game looked up for the Harps. However to their eternal credit, they rallied and midfielder Philly McKinney raced through the Mullabawn defence to kick a brilliant equalising point. Declan Coulter came in for Gerard McDonagh in the attack, although the odds were still stacked against the Harps. Mullabawn regained the lead with another point from a free. Harps though replied with a free from Kevin Kelly after Kevin himself had brilliantly won possession despite being outnumbered. The game was now on a knife edge and was end to end stuff. Both side swapped wides before the Mullabawn corner forward had a shot from out on the line that headed for the posts. As the crowd held their breath, both umpires consulted and then waved the effort wide. Harps again went into the attack and when Joe Quigley was fouled, he dusted himself off and pointed the free to give the Harps the lead with time running out. Play was still end to end and when Harps made one more attack up the right wing, Kevin Kelly was again fouled and Kevin himself stepped up to give Harps a two point cushion. Tempers did boil over a bit towards the end, and a player from each side was sent off. However Harps kept their eyes firmly on the task at hand and held out for an excellent victory. 

Final score, Harps 0-11, Mullabawn 1-06.

Any Championship win is a good win, but the victory yesterday was particularly pleasing when one considers the players that we were missing. The loss of Collie Holmes, along with other long term casualties, was bad enough, but the injury suffered by Charlie Vernon at training on Friday night was a body blow. Not only did Harps respond magnificently to that, but events on the pitch served to put Harps on more than one occasion, at the brink of a Championship exit and yet again players and management responded to the challenge. 

This was an excellent overall team performance and every single player played his part in contributing to the victory. However the efforts of Martin Gill, Kevin Kelly, Martin McCoy, Philly McKinney, Neil McArdle and man of the match Nippy Swift are particularly deserving of mention. The Harps lined out as follows. Willie McSorley, Chuckie Morris, Martin Gill, Mark McConville, Jungle McKee, Martin McCoy, Neil McArdle, Philly McKinney 0-1, Gareth Richards, Minnie Holmes, Nippy Swift, Gerard McDonagh 0-1 (Declan Coulter), Kevin Kelly 0-7 (0-6 frees), Sean Morrison (Ebby Toal) and Joe Quigley 0-2 (0-2 frees).

Candyman

Quote from: gaapunter on September 01, 2008, 01:50:56 PM
Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on September 01, 2008, 01:25:39 PM
Have to say Maddog that outside of Cross there would be no-one to fear. The team played well in patches the other night - it's just a pity that we're probably going to be without Collie Holmes for another round at least. He would be a big addition. Still - any win is a good win!  :)

I am sure the remaining 7 teams in the SFC will be shit scared to meet the harps  :o- I hope we get them walk over - They are still a truly awful team- But at least you got to play a division 2 team to warm up for the long season in division 2 next year

;D

BerfArmagh

Great win yesterday, its been years since we have seen that sort of grit and determination

looking forward to giving cross a good lash now... who knows! Could be a harp/ogs final

JMohan

Quote from: Armagh Exile on September 13, 2008, 05:49:40 PM
Quote from: pintsofguinness on September 13, 2008, 03:14:05 PM
Quote from: fcuksake on September 13, 2008, 03:08:48 PM
Cant believe the county board wouldnt call off the Ogs game, i thought it was a certainty to be called off with Peggy's husband the club President, yet clubs can call league games off because a club member (and i dont mean an active member/committee personnel) has died....

RIP Peggy. I know the Harney Brothers well and they have gave a lot to the club down through the years...

That's unbelievable and extremely bad form from the county board. 

RIP

I asked a member of the County Board this morning and he told me that he knew nothing about this - what he termed at reasonable request for a postponement - and said the decision would have been made by members of the Competitions Control Committee.
He rang me back later to tell me that the request for a postponement was indeed refused by the CCC.  His information was that both clubs were in agreement to postpone the game until Tuesday night and play it under lights but the CCC was having none of this.
Very disappointing decision.  After all the deceased was the wife of the President of Pearse Og and you would think that the club members would be there to support Joe in his hour of need.
I hope that the CCC will allow the teams to observe a 'Minute's Silence' as a mark of respect to the entire Harney family and the Pearse Og club prior to their game.

May Peggy Harney's soul rest in peace.
Sad to hear that was the option taken
RIP

Diet Coke

Well done to the lads yesterday.......restored faith in a lot of people yesterday simply by not lying down......more of the same please against Cross.
Everybody knows there no sucha thing as Sanity Clause.

winsamsoon

Good luck lads against the Cross they are not half bad  :o and then again the clans are shite  ;) The harps will have more pace all over the pitch and will trouble the cross more (I shouldn't really say this because i am the kiss of death :D ) good luck anyway
I never forget a face but in your case I will make an exception.

fcuksake

Well done to the Harps on Sunday. Thought Swift and McCoy were Excellent.

winsam
I know Cross are a different class. to be honest they would give most of the county teams in the country a run for their money. their whole professional attitude is why they are so far ahead not only of teams in Armagh but ulster. I know the harps will be up against it big time. Like yourselves we have nothing to lose, but the manner in which they beat yous sent a warning to the rest of the teams. Cross are capable of destroying any side, and unfortunately for Clans Sunday was that day. Hopefully they leave their shooting boots behind when they take the field against the Harps.

Cross are strong around the middle/Diamond area. I feel this is probably the Harps strongest area whith Swift, Vernon Holmes & McKinney. If we can come on tops in that sector and prevent Cross from gettin the ball into their leathal forwards we have a slight chance. but in saying that the Harps cannot afford to miss any scoreable chances.

As I say, we have nothing to lose and the rest of the county will be expecting us to get hammered, but you never know......

Congrats again to the players on Sunday..
I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.

Rufus T Firefly

Great win for the Minors today across the City. 2-11 to 1-06. Got the text from bennydorano - anyone with any details?

Skiddybadoo

All the best to the Harps in the semi-final. Believe from throw-in until the final whistle.  The Cross men are just that, men.  Fight for every last ball and keep your focus, whether ahead, behind or level.  C'mon Harps.

bennydorano

Some Gala Night tickets have become available, spread the word to anyone who may be interested.  Contact any committee member or the Social Club for details.

corn02

Quote from: fcuksake on September 16, 2008, 08:51:11 AM
Well done to the Harps on Sunday. Thought Swift and McCoy were Excellent.

winsam
I know Cross are a different class. to be honest they would give most of the county teams in the country a run for their money. their whole professional attitude is why they are so far ahead not only of teams in Armagh but ulster. I know the harps will be up against it big time. Like yourselves we have nothing to lose, but the manner in which they beat yous sent a warning to the rest of the teams. Cross are capable of destroying any side, and unfortunately for Clans Sunday was that day. Hopefully they leave their shooting boots behind when they take the field against the Harps.

Cross are strong around the middle/Diamond area. I feel this is probably the Harps strongest area whith Swift, Vernon Holmes & McKinney. If we can come on tops in that sector and prevent Cross from gettin the ball into their leathal forwards we have a slight chance. but in saying that the Harps cannot afford to miss any scoreable chances.

As I say, we have nothing to lose and the rest of the county will be expecting us to get hammered, but you never know......

Congrats again to the players on Sunday..

Ihave seen the Harps probably as much as I have seen ourselves this year (which is not a lot )  and McKinney has always impressed me, what is the story age? County experience? etc etc

fcuksake

I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.