Tyrone Club Football and Hurling

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:54:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bogball88

Any truth that Loughmacrory have a new recruit in from Killyclogher?

omaghjoe

Quote from: LeoMc on December 20, 2018, 08:15:32 PM
Quote from: Maor Uisce on December 19, 2018, 09:53:20 PM
Why don't you have a go at a select from your area? Be a welcome discussion in comparison to somethings put up here.
What are the boundaries?
Ardboe parish
Clonoe parish
Coalisland parish
Cookstown/Rock/Kildress
Dungannon/Edendork/Killyman/Donaghmore/Moy
Eglish/kileeshil/Aghaloo/Galbally
Augher/Clogher/Eskra/Errigal
Dromore/Trillick/Fintona/Drumquin/Dregish/Derg
Omagh/Tatts/Drumragh/Killyclogher
Beragh/Carrickmore/Loughmcrory/Greencastle
How do you stop them fighting in the changing rooms?

Thats a pretty good attempt

Tho are we saying the remaining North tyrone teams are the one side?

Derg Dregish Drumquin Newton and Aghayarn would be more natural bedfellows

And in reality Im not sure you could realistically get anyone to join with Carmen, also I thought the whole idea of Errigal was that they already were a joined up team of four clubs?

southtyronegael

Quote from: trailer on January 04, 2019, 02:07:47 PM
Can anyone name a Div 2 or 3 player who should be on the panel and isn't?
Darragh kavanagh for augher has been top scorer in div 2 for last two years but didn't even get asked to trials this year.

TwoUpTwoDown

Quote from: southtyronegael on January 05, 2019, 07:50:31 AM
Darragh kavanagh for augher has been top scorer in div 2 for last two years but didn't even get asked to trials this year.
Unfortunately doesn't do it on the big days. Was a passenger for long periods of the County Final. For example, I imagine if he had of gotten his desired transfer to Errigal Ciaran I would imagine he'd be a bit part player.

Mikhailov

Quote from: TwoUpTwoDown on January 05, 2019, 12:43:06 PM
Unfortunately doesn't do it on the big days. Was a passenger for long periods of the County Final. For example, I imagine if he had of gotten his desired transfer to Errigal Ciaran I would imagine he'd be a bit part player.

The transfer probably would have guaranteed him a county call up irrespective if he was a regular for Errigal or not. Ben McDonnell not exactly a key man for them and young God has barely featured and they are in county squad so no doubt Darragh Kavanagh would have received the call up also.

tiempo

One solution without needing to entirely reconstruct the core structure of Tyrone GAA is for Tyrone to put a team into the All-Ireland Junior county competition... don't know eligibility criteria fully but this could be the perfect avenue for talented former minors and U21s from D2/D3 clubs to enter a county competition at a lower grade from the age of 19+ therefore keeping them involved in county football. Ulster shelved their competition a few years ago but Cavan play in Leinster as far as I know and Tyrone could do similar. Kerry have used this competition to keep fringe players involved in the county setup in recent years, even being used as a stepping stone to the senior squad for lads between minor and 21s. Denis Bastick won an All-Ireland Junior with Dublin at MF back in 2006 before stepping up to Senior grade, I'm pretty sure he won't go down in the pantheon of all time greats but he has 5 All-Irelands which he contributed to handsomly and wasn't lost to county football as he may have been otherwise...

I remember in the previous years, 2007 and 2006, I was eligible to play junior as my club wasn't playing senior championship and I remember going out in a game at Parnell Park against Louth and I was having an absolute stormer and I know the Dublin (senior) team management were there watching as well.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/he-made-his-debut-at-28-he-won-five-allireland-medals-denis-basticks-dublin-career-was-far-from-normal-36415790.html

Judging by that article he was eligible as his club weren't playing senior at the time... someone give us a stab at a D2/D3 team now knowing full well this could be a realistic option and not pie in the sky... I'm sure also a lot of Tyrone supporters and maybe those disenfranchised D2/D3 folk might take a bit of enjoyment watching this team too as I'm sure the wave of negative tactics rife in the club and senior county game would be less employed. Now as for fixtures and scheduling dont go there, there's plenty of counties faciliting a junior county team and we should be well fit to as well.

Frank_The_Tank

Is every championship game not a 'big day' and he was MOTM in the first round, the quarter final and the semi-final
Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience

TwoUpTwoDown

Quote from: Frank_The_Tank on January 05, 2019, 06:19:31 PM

Is every championship game not a 'big day' and he was MOTM in the first round, the quarter final and the semi-final

Unfortunately I wasn't at the first round game but I am led to believe Aidan Cassidy bossed proceedings that day. As for the QF he was held scoreless from play and in the Semi it was Connor Hackett who was MOTM. I've no problem with the lad as I think he is a very talented free taker in Div 2, however my grievance was with STG mentioning him as potential county standard. I believe there to be many many footballers in the lower divisions who would deservedly stake a claim before him. Even from within the Augher club I would suggest there are players with a better claim. Just my opinion.

southtyronegael

Sorry twouptwodown, but their is nobody in augher team close to kavanagh. Scored 2-9 in champ semi final and averaged close to 7 points a game over 15 league games. I'm not sure if he proper county standard but deserved a crack at trials or Mc Kenna cup.

TwoUpTwoDown

Scored 2.09 yet Hackett was still given MOTM. He reminds me a lot of Aidan McCarron from Fintona a few years back. Scored plenty in the league for the club yet just was nowhere near that level of a county player. So much so that he sought a transfer to play within another county. Given the past of DK it wouldn't surprise me if he tried something similar ;D . All joking aside I would not argue he is their main scoring threat but IMO Finbar McQuaid is the standard bearer in that Augher team and Cassidy (when fit) would have been similar.

Frank_The_Tank

Quote from: TwoUpTwoDown on January 06, 2019, 11:36:44 AM
Scored 2.09 yet Hackett was still given MOTM. He reminds me a lot of Aidan McCarron from Fintona a few years back. Scored plenty in the league for the club yet just was nowhere near that level of a county player. So much so that he sought a transfer to play within another county. Given the past of DK it wouldn't surprise me if he tried something similar ;D . All joking aside I would not argue he is their main scoring threat but IMO Finbar McQuaid is the standard bearer in that Augher team and Cassidy (when fit) would have been similar.

He was MOTM in those first 3 championship games in the Tyrone Hearld.  And anyone who was at the SF would be in no doubt he was MOTM although Conor was excellent on the day as well.  Agree with you about Cas unfortunately just a career blighted with injuries.  I think Finbar should have def got a McKenna cup trial at one point..excellent man to man marker which Tyrone weren't blessed with at one point.  McKernan now is great option for that role.
Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience

TwoUpTwoDown

Quote from: Frank_The_Tank on January 06, 2019, 11:50:07 AM
Quote from: TwoUpTwoDown on January 06, 2019, 11:36:44 AM

He was MOTM in those first 3 championship games in the Tyrone Hearld.  And anyone who was at the SF would be in no doubt he was MOTM although Conor was excellent on the day as well.  Agree with you about Cas unfortunately just a career blighted with injuries.  I think Finbar should have def got a McKenna cup trial at one point..excellent man to man marker which Tyrone weren't blessed with at one point.  McKernan now is great option for that role.

McQuaid a quality operator and definitely worthy of a shot over the past 6 or 7 seasons. I've been wrong before but I just don't think Kavanagh is anywhere near that standard, an interesting way to look at it would be, if McQuaid (who was not seen as County standard) were to be marking him then I would fancy him to get very little change off him.

GaaFanatic123

Quote from: bogball88 on January 04, 2019, 06:28:55 PM

Heard this aswel, massive addition for on and off the field!!!

GlenMan

Quote from: GaaFanatic123 on January 07, 2019, 07:50:30 AM
Quote from: bogball88 on January 04, 2019, 06:28:55 PM

Heard this aswel, massive addition for on and off the field!!!

Name?

Heard that Cookstown have lost a good few players to Pomeroy too.

Maor Uisce

Both those players have shown consistent quality in Div 2 over the years. Again had they been playing for a senior team they definitely would have merited a trial/McKenna cup campaign. I could make the same argument for majority of intermediate teams, with their top 2/3 players being there or thereabouts. But that path is closed for too many adult footballers in Tyrone. It is just a lazy recruitment/development policy imo.

I think the idea of a Junior intercounty team would be brilliant but something tells me the purse would be firmly closed on that one.