Car Insurance!!!!!

Started by balladmaker, January 21, 2010, 07:18:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thebigfella

Quote from: AustinPowers on Today at 04:37:03 PM
Quote from: general_lee on Today at 03:42:43 PMIt's a complete racket. I'm reluctant to ever actually claim off my insurance (touch wood, I've never had to in 20 years driving)

You're as well just lying to them to try and keep the premium down(car stored in garage, parked securely at work, only 3k miles a year). It's not like you won't get shafted anyway if you're honest and actually need to make a claim.

Apparently reducing   the annual  mileage thing  doesn't make any  real difference to the cost .

I dont even  know why they ask you your annual mileage  , because they can  find out how much you did  between  MOT's. It's all online

Risk - the more miles you do, the greater the chance you will be in an accident.

marty34

I said this before but some MLA should tackle this head on and go to town on these clowns.

Call all the heads of insurers into a committee meeting and grill the f&"k out of them.

Complete rip off.

AustinPowers

Quote from: thebigfella on Today at 05:44:11 PM
Quote from: AustinPowers on Today at 04:37:03 PM
Quote from: general_lee on Today at 03:42:43 PMIt's a complete racket. I'm reluctant to ever actually claim off my insurance (touch wood, I've never had to in 20 years driving)

You're as well just lying to them to try and keep the premium down(car stored in garage, parked securely at work, only 3k miles a year). It's not like you won't get shafted anyway if you're honest and actually need to make a claim.

Apparently reducing  the annual  mileage thing  doesn't make any  real difference to the cost .

I dont even  know why they ask you your annual mileage  , because they can  find out how much you did  between  MOT's. It's all online

Risk - the more miles you do, the greater the chance you will be in an accident.

Yeah I understand that , but  a few years back I changed jobs.  I had kept the same mileage (around 15k)  , but went through the details the following year, and asked them to reduce it to about  to 5-6k , as I was doing a lot less miles. The  insurer said the cost was the same

On the other hand.... A cousin of mine  used to  do a night or two  of  pizza runs (unofficially)  and  I asked him if his  insurance company ever said anything  about his extra  mileage.  On his policy he  said  about 7-8k and he was doing 20k plus.  Nothing was  ever mentioned.

So , do insurance companies really check  your annual mileage?

armaghniac

Quote from: AustinPowers on Today at 06:00:15 PMSo , do insurance companies really check  your annual mileage?

They don't check until you have a claim. On an online site if you change the mileage that you say you then the price will go a up a bit.
In Covid I rang up and said that I was driving feck all and got a bit off.
However, in Dublin I am paying less than I did 30 years ago, things seem worse in the occupied territories.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Armagh18

Quote from: marty34 on Today at 05:46:45 PMI said this before but some MLA should tackle this head on and go to town on these clowns.

Call all the heads of insurers into a committee meeting and grill the f&"k out of them.

Complete rip off.
Easy vote winner.

Armagh Girl

Husband's Car Insurance was due a few weeks ago, We have both our cars plus our House Insurance with Direct Line for a good few years, which were always competitive.  The quote came in for almost £600 -up £300 since last year (yet we have never had any claims ever).  They looked at quote and took it down to around £570, so i went online and got it with Budget Insurance (underwriters Liverpool Victoria) for £290. House Insurance has just been quoted and up almost £100 since last year but still the best at that price. 
It is no wonder that Insurance Policy's are up given the many crashes etc that are happening with huge insurance claims arising from them, along with fraudulent claims being made.  This along with accidents being caused by non - insured drivers, that we are all being penalised for :(    Yet with all this the Insurance Companies profits have never been greater!