Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bannside

Lavey handy, good pitch and only half a dozen miles from here. Good luck to Hugh and the boys, its 70 minutes football and anything can happen.

Gs man the thinking behind the switch from Glenavy was straightforwardly on the basis that Glenavy pitch was heavy against Carlow and our hurlers reported good to firm conditions in Portglenone...as I forecasted! Theres no agenda at play except a better playing surface that's all. I'm sure Glenavy as the good football men that they are understand this.

bannside

I think that it is a bit optimistic to expect to see any game time from Tomas on Sunday. Hes put in a lot of work to recover from a recurring injury and isn't far away...but hasnt played any football for months and that's probably too big a risk in a game if this importance. I'd be thinking the last 15 against Wicklow might be a more realistic timeframe!

Na Glinntí Glasa

Quote from: bannside on February 26, 2020, 02:44:20 PM
Lavey handy, good pitch and only half a dozen miles from here. Good luck to Hugh and the boys, its 70 minutes football and anything can happen.

Gs man the thinking behind the switch from Glenavy was straightforwardly on the basis that Glenavy pitch was heavy against Carlow and our hurlers reported good to firm conditions in Portglenone...as I forecasted! Theres no agenda at play except a better playing surface that's all. I'm sure Glenavy as the good football men that they are understand this.

pitch was in fantastic shape on sunday for the hurling. was on it at half time very briefly and it held up really well for 30mins hurling and the time of the year.
hurl like f**k boi!

bannside

Cheers DR the grounds sub committee do a lot of work to keep it in good shape and the specification involved in its build included volumes of pipework stone and sand that the builder said at the time was the highest spec he had ever been commissioned to do. It's always a compliment to hear others appreciating this, albeit the club is now inundated with requests from far and near for training or matches (Cushendall & Slaughtneil in their all Ireland club preparations etc) when many other grounds are out of commission. The floodlights are also high spec too!  Definitely a big asset to Portglenone club having these facilities to use for their own preparations, coupled with the weights room now fully equipped too....mostly about preparing the next generation if the truth was told.

belfastsaff

Be interesting to see the team on Sunday and the result.

Dermot Mclaeese seemed to be our best performer vs London and was hooked off at ht against Carlow - whats that about?

Eastwood saved our skin v Carlow will he start over paddy hands for the frees?

Feel antrim played with basically a double sweeper in ineffective - play a bit of football there is more than enough good runners and footballers on that team now. Not to many players missing off the panel now its do or die time on sunday.

themac_23

See the League games are now at 12 on Sunday, assume thats so they dont clash with the county game, only 2 div 2 games on and full card in div 3.

marty34

Portglenone pitch was excellent last Sunday DR - very well organised and loads of yellow coats about to help.  Very well run.

Mhic Easmuint

Div 2, Div 2 Reserve and Div 3 Fixtures now all live on the county website:
https://antrim.gaa.ie/fixtures/acfl-div-2

bannside

Youre obviously mistaking Marty 34s comments up with mine....of course I was at Glenavy.

Na Glinntí Glasa

Quote from: marty34 on February 27, 2020, 06:43:10 PM

Portglenone pitch was excellent last Sunday DR - very well organised and loads of yellow coats about to help.  Very well run.

Really was. the intermediate football championship last year showed that its a perfect venue for hosting big games.

Next up BS is to get a wee terraced area built on the far side  ;D
hurl like f**k boi!

BigBallWeeBall

PG1 & Glenavy are both super venues and I have enjoyed the recent games but both lack a covered stand. On back road from Ballymena to Belfast I see that there's a lot of digging going on. Are LD building a sneaky stand? to get games before Corrigan is ready.

marty34

Quote from: Dunloy realist on February 28, 2020, 09:00:43 AM
Quote from: marty34 on February 27, 2020, 06:43:10 PM

Really was. the intermediate football championship last year showed that its a perfect venue for hosting big games.

Next up BS is to get a wee terraced area built on the far side  ;D

I'd say there is space on the far side - that's where I was. Narrow at corner but then it opens up - would make a nice bank/hill.

If possible a stand would be excellent.  Is that part of the club grounds behind the wire on that side BS? There's more ground outside the fence - seems to be part of club grounds???

bannside

Casements are taking a bit of a breather from a gigantic fundraising effort a couple of years ago but the club would have ambition for a second phase development when they get a second wind. Amongst other priorities that includes a covered terrace.

Belfast GAA man

Quote from: BigBallWeeBall on February 28, 2020, 06:07:16 PM
PG1 & Glenavy are both super venues and I have enjoyed the recent games but both lack a covered stand. On back road from Ballymena to Belfast I see that there's a lot of digging going on. Are LD building a sneaky stand? to get games before Corrigan is ready.
think They are building new pitch not Stand

bannside

Our under 20s lost by 2 points to Tyrone but deserve a lot of credit for hanging in to the end, if anything finishing stronger than Tyrone. Not much between the teams just the class of a certain Darragh Canavan made the difference. Maybe we should have made more of the wind in the first half, but big shout out to all involved for a gutsy effort.

Sligo took points off Wexford today down there too....this league is the most competitive I've ever seen it, literally no match is a sure thing! All very much in our hands now. 2 points tomorrow and we are bang on schedule.