Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrendanAntrim

For the record....I really can't stand Carlow.

Just had to get that off my chest.  >:(

JimStynes

Draw was probably the fair result in the end. I thought the ref was very harsh on Antrim at times.

bannside

Hard to like surely Brendan. A lot of big men who play it on the edge like no other team in Division Four that I've seen for quite azwhile...since the last twice we played them in fact. Our hurlers found the same thing too!

I watched their warm up and could tell how well up the were for this one....and maybe we underestimated that a bit because we were very slow to settle and get into any rhythm. It took half time to settle us but when both teams went really at it in the second half I could see we were better than them....but why did we leave it for 40 minutes to get into the groove? The real answer is because I think they rattled us tbh. That plus the conditions suited them a lot more than us but I saw that coming. We could have won it with chances at the end...but then again Carlow had a narrow wide with the last play of the game and I've seen those go over. A draw probably a fair result but it leaves our task just that bit harder now, but still achievable.

bannside

Agree JS, and everyone around me said the same. Carlow had a point given that I thought was wide half way through the second half. I had a perfect view of it too. Colm Duffin thought his free was over and the cheer went up fron the crowd in the far side who had a good view....but that was waved wide. Theres two points we were on the wrong side of. Not only that, but normally reliable Paddy C had a day to forget kicking a a couple wide and dropping a few frees into their keepers arms at times when we just needed a score to give us composure. It happens, there will always be a middling performance here and there in any season.

Mick Mc Cann did offer us some needed composure when he entered the fray, and Conor Small and Oran Eastwood definitely made more things happen up front when they were introduced, especially Oran who stepped up and saved our bacon when it mattered.

BrendanAntrim

I'd like to see a video of the late Duffin free, I certainly thought it was over.

Rodger Mona

Very frustrated watching that match yesterday in difficult conditions. Carlow arent a great side but as BS said, looked alot hungrier and sharper than us. Was waiting for the likes of Cunningham or someone to step up and give us a bit of composure and manage the game to suit us against the wind but we just havent got that cuteness or awareness of how manage conditions. All that said fair play for the lads in the last 15 who squeezed a result out for us. Eastwood in particular. Doesnt look like div 3 will be acheivable unless we come acroos a couple of upsets in the other games. Wexford have now won 3 on the trot from their defeat to Antrim. Not as a bad a side as they shown that day against us

BrendanAntrim

Promotion is still there for us, if we win on Sunday and head into last two games v Wicklow and Waterford knowing that two wins takes us up....I'd settle for that. We can finish on 11 points, that takes us up.

Belfast GAA man

I thought Carlow were better than us yesterDay but this bunch has shown great character so far this year and never gave up yesterday so fair play - if Limerick and wexford dont draw it is still in our own hands

Na Glinntí Glasa

Division 2 and 3 to start this weekend for the football. i really to god dont understand the thought process behind this of playing games at this stage of the year when pitches are into the arse.

i was looking at ours on Sunday morning and its not been touched since last year and was saturated. the main pitch is closed till May, as it is every year, and wont be used at all.

with the fixtures list we will have 8 football league games played before the hurlers start their D1 games. pure madness

Sorry meant to add, well done to Portglenone on Sunday for their perfect hosting of the National League game against Meath. Well organised and plenty of stewards about looking after things. Pitch as always was top notch considering the weather we've been having.
hurl like f**k boi!

themac_23

Quote from: Dunloy realist on February 24, 2020, 02:21:24 PM
Division 2 and 3 to start this weekend for the football. i really to god dont understand the thought process behind this of playing games at this stage of the year when pitches are into the arse.

i was looking at ours on Sunday morning and its not been touched since last year and was saturated. the main pitch is closed till May, as it is every year, and wont be used at all.

with the fixtures list we will have 8 football league games played before the hurlers start their D1 games. pure madness

Sorry meant to add, well done to Portglenone on Sunday for their perfect hosting of the National League game against Meath. Well organised and plenty of stewards about looking after things. Pitch as always was top notch considering the weather we've been having.

Agreed, crazy, also given the div 3 and 2 football leagues will be finished at the end of June, the championship preliminary rounds are scheduled for 14th August, I think it's 6/7 weeks between leagues ending and championship football starting, surely that's too long?

delgany

Would some division 2 games not be called off as county team playing at 2pm on Sunday ?

Na Glinntí Glasa

i dont understand how they could as we played the most of our D2 league last season minus all our county hurlers plus some of the dual players lol :D

no point in feeling sorry for yourselves, you just get out and play the games and give other lads their chances.

theres a county meeting tonight so id say they will confirm all the fixtures for the weekend at it.
hurl like f**k boi!

Calm Down

Are these games still going ahead? Cannot see anything on the County Website

Ernesto

DR - point well made. 15 + men (30 If you include opposition) are denied football or hurling because one or two are away with the County. Regular programme of fixtures will ultimately develop all our players and improve standards.

The schedule for 2020 leagues looks to be very stop start - bursts of football, then bursts of hurling and so on.

On fixtures, our Secretary says not discussed last night. General dates but no actual fixtures and it's still a work in progress. The schedule of fixtures originally circulated has been changed too.

In summary, Div 2 and 3 football clubs will be playing on Sunday (no word on div1 and 2 reserve).  It seems you won't know who/where, but watch this space.

Na Glinntí Glasa

Quote from: Ernesto on February 25, 2020, 10:38:46 AM
DR - point well made. 15 + men (30 If you include opposition) are denied football or hurling because one or two are away with the County. Regular programme of fixtures will ultimately develop all our players and improve standards.

The schedule for 2020 leagues looks to be very stop start - bursts of football, then bursts of hurling and so on.

On fixtures, our Secretary says not discussed last night. General dates but no actual fixtures and it's still a work in progress. The schedule of fixtures originally circulated has been changed too.

In summary, Div 2 and 3 football clubs will be playing on Sunday (no word on div1 and 2 reserve).  It seems you won't know who/where, but watch this space.

we played multiple league games last year with a bare minimum panel - Rossa away we travelled with 17 players and not one of them was one of our senior hurlers in the starting team. All 17 lads got a good game against a strong team and gave a good account of themselves, despite falling away towards the end of the game.

Moneyglass away, glenavy home, Rossa Home, Ballymena away, Sarsfields home and away, lisburn away - all of those games played with no county players, no dual players (who would start for our senior hurlers in a league game a few days later) and played every game. (only winning 2 of them in that lot).

Any team who wants to cancel a game as they could be missing a few players your denying your whole panel a game and showing very poor faith in the rest of the team to go out and play games and make the step up
hurl like f**k boi!