McDonell in Indo has a pop at Thomas Davis

Started by dublinfella, July 29, 2010, 11:22:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: deiseach on July 29, 2010, 04:23:25 PM
Quote from: Tankie on July 29, 2010, 04:12:48 PM
I got given a ticket to this game about an hour ago so im gonna head along and see what this stadium and stuff is all about

Whaaat? And all those tens of thousands of diehards who krammed into Glenmalure Park week-in-week-out can't get tickets? You should be ashamed of yourself!

So long as Maureen O'Hara isn't left ticketless.

magickingdom

Quote from: dublinfella on July 29, 2010, 11:22:00 AM
http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/rovers-ring-of-confidence-can-test-juve-super-stars-2275748.html

The local Thomas Davis GAA club, who took their grievances to the High Court, weakened their hand by expressing the concern that the youth of Tallaght would be 'restricted to a diet of association football'.

Right now, with another European footballing giant on their doorstep, the diet is tasting pretty damn good.

----

Ouch!

tonight rovers play serie A - next week its back to serie Z

Ouch yourself!

id love to see rovers win btw

A Quinn Martin Production

Two men and a dog at the next game then??
Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties

mylestheslasher

Here is something I have always wanted to know. I have lived in 4 different counties and have played both Football and Soccer in each. The majority of Soccer players were also GAA players. But within each soccer club there were always a couple that had this unreal hatred of the GAA. The game the stadiums the fact that the GAA could get more from the community than the soccer. Where I live now the GAA and soccer has a good relationship as they share a lotto but still there are chips on shoulders of a few. Never really got the same impression from the GAA side of things.

Plain of the Herbs

Looking at the pitch on d'telly tonight, there seems to me to be enough room between the soccer end-lines and the boundary walls for there to be enough room for a GAA pitch.  There seems to be quite a bit of spare ground between the existing soccer touch-lines and the stand (on the far side, at any rate).  Hmmm.

Bud Wiser

Quote from: dublinfella on July 29, 2010, 02:43:30 PM
Quote from: Bud Wiser on July 29, 2010, 02:25:06 PM

There are three clubs in close proximity, Ballyboden, St Annes and Thomas Davis.  I can only speak for my own club, Boden, and they have coaching throughout the summer from Scoil Treasa where the coaches and indeed Ballyboden are in constant liason with the schools for Friday aftenoon training.  Boden have not one but a number of Summer Camps that are completely booked out and St Annes are the same with kids from all parts of Tallaght attending.  I am sure Thomas Davis are no different but in any case the work that is being done on the ground by the GAA is as good as it can get.

When Ronaldo appeared at Tallaght Stadium there was a bit of a stir too but soon all forgotton about.  The game tonight will be yesterdays news when the Dubs take the field against Tyrone on Saturday evening.  "There is food and work for all" was the heading in a paragraph of a book about a local titled man where I came from when he announced, back in the bad old days,  to all and sundry that he needed workers to thin beet and pick potatoes and so it is in Tallaght, plenty of room for all the shamrock rovers and gaa men that there are in both codes if they are up to it.

Don't be minding that eejit in the Independent.  Come on the Hoops, do Tallaght proud tonight.

I don't really think you can compare the (fantastic) work the Boden do as a megasuper club and TD. Different leagues. Are TD even doing a camp? Haven't heard or seen anything.

Your second last paragraph is exactly my point on the whole thing. Plenty of kids, plenty of them play multiple sports. meet the challenge head on with pride, not sneak off to the courts and play dirty.

I don't understand why 'fantastic' is in brackets.  If Thomas Davis wanted to be a, as you put it, mega super club like Boden they should have spent the Million and a half euro they spent on High Court Cases on development.

The land on both sides of their allweather pitch and all the rest of that land bank was bought by a builder last year and I'd say they could buy it back for buttons now only all their money is in some D4 barristers slush fund.

" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

dublinfella

Quote from: Bud Wiser on July 30, 2010, 10:00:20 AM

I don't understand why 'fantastic' is in brackets.  If Thomas Davis wanted to be a, as you put it, mega super club like Boden they should have spent the Million and a half euro they spent on High Court Cases on development.

Exactly my point.

Watched the game on the box last night, fair play to Rovers, they were actually unlucky not to get a draw, but Juventus are a different class. Atmosphere seemed electric.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: dublinfella on July 30, 2010, 10:40:48 AM
Quote from: Bud Wiser on July 30, 2010, 10:00:20 AM

Exactly my point.

Watched the game on the box last night, fair play to Rovers, they were actually unlucky not to get a draw, but Juventus are a different class. Atmosphere seemed electric.

Watched it myself and they would have been very lucky to get a draw, sure they only had one decent chance the whole match (the fine move that a header only went just wide). The commentator summed it up well when he said Rovers team is valued at €30k, Juve at €115 million.

magickingdom

Quote from: mylestheslasher on July 29, 2010, 10:49:46 PM
Here is something I have always wanted to know. I have lived in 4 different counties and have played both Football and Soccer in each. The majority of Soccer players were also GAA players. But within each soccer club there were always a couple that had this unreal hatred of the GAA. The game the stadiums the fact that the GAA could get more from the community than the soccer. Where I live now the GAA and soccer has a good relationship as they share a lotto but still there are chips on shoulders of a few. Never really got the same impression from the GAA side of things.

i have found that to be very true, i have to say iinitally i was shocked that some irish people could have such an unreal hatred ( couldnt put it better) for everything the gaa did and stood for. i remember talking to a a guy one night and thinking to myself ian paisley would be a better friend to the gaa. i used to get upset by it now i just ignore them. dublinfella is a prime example