Retirements

Started by Maroon Manc, July 09, 2018, 01:50:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Obvious

Quote from: toby47 on December 17, 2021, 11:21:14 AM
Another from Dublin.

Philly McMahon.

What a player, what a servant & what a man!

Philly McMahon was good at his peak, one performance that sticks out was in 2015 when Jim Gavin placed his trust in Philly to curb the influence of Aidan O'Shea and not only did he achieve that but scored 2-3 off him in two games as he knew Aidan wouldn't track his marker.

toby47

Quote from: Captain Obvious on December 17, 2021, 11:58:33 AM
Another from Dublin.

Philly McMahon.

Philly McMahon was good at his peak, one performance that sticks out was in 2015 when Jim Gavin placed his trust in Philly to curb the influence of Aidan O'Shea and not only did he achieve that but scored 2-3 off him in two games as he knew Aidan wouldn't track his marker.

That was in the AI Semi Final. Then in the Final he kept Colm Cooper scoreless whilst scoring a point himself.

Taylor

Every team needs a couple of players like him & while opposition supporters disliked him they would have loved to have him on their team.

A bit like Ricey

Gael85

Quote from: Taylor on December 17, 2021, 12:55:24 PM
Every team needs a couple of players like him & while opposition supporters disliked him they would have loved to have him on their team.

A bit like Ricey

Like Ricey a good man to score from corner back.

Scored 2-21 in 62 championship games and 1-20 in 65 league games.

tonto1888

Quote from: toby47 on December 17, 2021, 03:55:18 PM
Quote from: whitey on December 17, 2021, 03:07:04 PM
Quote from: toby47 on December 17, 2021, 12:09:20 PM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on December 17, 2021, 11:58:33 AM
Another from Dublin.

Philly McMahon.

That was in the AI Semi Final. Then in the Final he kept Colm Cooper scoreless whilst scoring a point himself.

Is that the game where he eye gouged Donaghy?

Yep, the same game.

Will probably be better remembered for his point that day, keeping gooch scoreless & winning his 3rd All-Ireland in a row.

And rightly so

An Watcher

Am I right in saying he let himself down a bit v mayo this year?  Was he acting the big man coming on as sub.  Could be wrong as bit hazy

Gael85

From the Bunker

Quote from: An Watcher on December 17, 2021, 07:27:34 PM
Am I right in saying he let himself down a bit v mayo this year?  Was he acting the big man coming on as sub.  Could be wrong as bit hazy

Nah, that was just Philly being Philly! He was usually not noticed doing this sort of stuff, as Dublin usually win.

GAABoardMod5

Removed a few posts that were uncomplimentary at least.

Let's keep it somewhat decent.

From the Bunker

Quote from: GAABoardMod5 on December 17, 2021, 10:16:27 PM

Yes, in hindsight - remembering Philly's on field record of gouging players was poor form and I apologise for this. Lets just remember the good times.

Tyrdub

Quote from: From the Bunker on December 17, 2021, 10:56:47 PM

Yes, in hindsight - remembering Philly's on field record of gouging players was poor form and I apologise for this. Lets just remember the good times.

The same Philly McMahon who was manly enough NOT to divulge the name of the scum b"stard who sledged him about his dead brother. Which one of the two were in the right then?
The man has done so much not only for Ballymun and Dublin, but for everyone on this island with drink, drug and mental problems. He willingly travels the length and breadth of the country, visits clubs etc. He's certainly no angel no the pitch, he did what it took to win, but there's more to Philly McMahon than what you see

From the Bunker

Quote from: Tyrdub on December 19, 2021, 03:00:05 PM

The same Philly McMahon who was manly enough NOT to divulge the name of the scum b"stard who sledged him about his dead brother. Which one of the two were in the right then?
The man has done so much not only for Ballymun and Dublin, but for everyone on this island with drink, drug and mental problems. He willingly travels the length and breadth of the country, visits clubs etc. He's certainly no angel no the pitch, he did what it took to win, but there's more to Philly McMahon than what you see

Now I'm sure Philly has reminded many a player of unfortunate events in their lives while on the field of play. And I doubt any of those who were sinned against ran to the media with the story.

Philly always had a win at all costs attitude. Sometimes you have to cross the line to achieve this.

Playing football for Dublin has been good for Phillys professional profile. He has done well and good luck to him. He used his gifts in a positive way to get a decent livelihood.

tonto1888

Ignore Bunker. That poster is WUM

Tyrdub

Quote from: tonto1888 on December 19, 2021, 04:01:07 PM

Ignore Bunker. That poster is WUM

oh there you go then ,I'm a WUM??

please explain how anything I said wasn't right.

whitey

So you think intentionally injuring/maiming an opponent  in order to win a football game is laudable?