Retirements

Started by Maroon Manc, July 09, 2018, 01:50:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

From the Bunker

Quote from: imtommygunn on January 24, 2021, 07:56:18 PM
I always wondered why he wasn't played at wing half back.

He played Center Half forward for us for most of 2013. What ever was wrong with Tom Cuniffe he could not last more than a half at corner back covering Keiths Position at corner back.

reillycavan

Quote from: imtommygunn on January 24, 2021, 07:56:18 PM
I always wondered why he wasn't played at wing half back.

Would make great centre/wing back. Donegal done similar switching Karl Lacey though he was probably a better player defensively to play at 6.

Milltown Row2

Higgins for me was the complete GAA athlete..

Never had a bad game, seemed like a really nice guy to boot, an accomplished hurler with his club and county. A rare breed
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Rudi

Fantastic player, lightening fast, superb skills. Mayo of late have produced legendary defenders. Higgins was one of the best.

seafoid

6 ultra experienced Mayo players have retired. Mayo have to replace them and experience takes years. It will be experience of serial losses.
The Dubs have players on tap. They don't retire 6 players at the same time. They do it on a drip feed basis. The new players win all the time.

Mayo are number 2

It's not sport

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

rosnarun

Quote from: seafoid on January 25, 2021, 08:33:40 AM
6 ultra experienced Mayo players have retired. Mayo have to replace them and experience takes years. It will be experience of serial losses.
The Dubs have players on tap. They don't retire 6 players at the same time. They do it on a drip feed basis. The new players win all the time.

Mayo are number 2

It's not sport

Quote from: seafoid on January 25, 2021, 08:33:40 AM

Mayo are number 2

It's not sport

most counties rely on one or two good underage teams to go Well and what were seeing in Mayo is the other end of that strategy.
but im confident we have a similar batch coming through after all only Barrett and Clarke re likely starters of the retiring bunch and we do have a
quality replacement for clarke who oftern kept him out at the height of his career . and several choices for Barrett such as his Clubmate Eoin o Donoghue  .
That's why getting to Lasts  years finasl was so pleasing.
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

macdanger2

Sad to see Keith retire without the big one but a fine career nonetheless and will go down as one of our all time greats. Good luck in retirement

6th sam

Quote from: macdanger2 on January 25, 2021, 10:43:47 AM
Sad to see Keith retire without the big one but a fine career nonetheless and will go down as one of our all time greats. Good luck in retirement

Best defender of his generation in my opinion. The bite and sharpness qualities necessary for hurling , Gabe him an extra edge on the football field. Brilliant to watch .

reillycavan

Quote from: 6th sam on January 25, 2021, 06:18:13 PM

Best defender of his generation in my opinion. The bite and sharpness qualities necessary for hurling , Gabe him an extra edge on the football field. Brilliant to watch .

I don't know. He was very good but wasn't considered the tightest   of markers.

reillycavan

Quote from: Mayo Border on January 21, 2021, 02:21:43 PM
Quote from: Tyrdub on January 21, 2021, 09:49:10 AM
Quote from: Rossfan on January 21, 2021, 09:47:25 AM
MD McAuley joining the retired ranks.

1 word - Warrior
Glad you didn't use the word- Footballer

If Aidan O'Shea had his work rate Mayo won have 2/3 All Irelands the last decade.

Angelo

Quote from: reillycavan on January 25, 2021, 09:19:45 PM
Quote from: 6th sam on January 25, 2021, 06:18:13 PM

I don't know. He was very good but wasn't considered the tightest   of markers.

Would agree with this, great player and probably wasted at corner back.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

restorepride

Quote from: Rudi on January 24, 2021, 10:39:19 PM
Fantastic player, lightening fast, superb skills. Mayo of late have produced legendary defenders. Higgins was one of the best.
Agree - outstanding.  One of my favourite players.  Maigh Eo abú!

From the Bunker

Quote from: reillycavan on January 25, 2021, 09:21:43 PM

1 word - Warrior

If Aidan O'Shea had his work rate Mayo won have 2/3 All Irelands the last decade.

Yeah Aido not putting more of a shift really made the difference.

Itchy

Quote from: From the Bunker on January 26, 2021, 12:16:12 AM

1 word - Warrior

I am not sure about whether Aidan O Shea could be said to not have the work rate but the athleticism is probably why he came up short when he met McCauley in Croke Park. The sight of McCauley running him around the pitch was something to behold.

rosnarun

Quote from: Itchy on January 26, 2021, 09:00:07 AM
Quote from: From the Bunker on January 26, 2021, 12:16:12 AM

1 word - Warrior

I am not sure about whether Aidan O Shea could be said to not have the work rate but the athleticism is probably why he came up short when he met McCauley in Croke Park. The sight of McCauley running him around the pitch was something to behold.

Are yes mad MDMa was nowhere near the footballer  and I have never seen Aidan Want for Athleticism  or Effort or football ability.
he is why mayo got where they are to suggest hes a liability in anyway is silly.
Ive always said he is the one truly irreplaceable player mayo Have 
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere