Retirements

Started by Maroon Manc, July 09, 2018, 01:50:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

reillycavan

Quote from: MayoBuck on January 04, 2021, 12:19:39 PM
David Clarke retired too!  :(

The best goalie from last 20 years. Major mistake by O'Shea dropping him for 2016 All Ireland replay

From the Bunker

Quote from: reillycavan on January 04, 2021, 02:36:19 PM

The best goalie from last 20 years. Major mistake by O'Shea dropping him for 2016 All Ireland replay

Yes, James made huge mistake picking his fellow Club colleague.

Blowitupref

That's a surprise, first choice all year and had a few more years left I think. Best of luck to him a fantastic servant for Mayo.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

reillycavan

Graham Reilly retired now. I thought he went last year.

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

From the Bunker

Quote from: Blowitupref on January 04, 2021, 04:05:02 PM

That's a surprise, first choice all year and had a few more years left I think. Best of luck to him a fantastic servant for Mayo.

He's 37! And Mayo are in transition. I was surprised he stayed on this year.

Rossfan

2 Kerrymen, Jonathan Lyne and Brian Kelly.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Blowitupref

Quote from: From the Bunker on January 04, 2021, 07:19:47 PM

Younger than Cluxton and players that normally hang up their county boots are the ones that get little or no game time.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

MayoBuck

I thought Clarke might stay on since it's only a 6 month season this year.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Blowitupref on January 04, 2021, 08:03:43 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on January 04, 2021, 07:19:47 PM

Younger than Cluxton and players that normally hang up their county boots are the ones that get little or no game time.

Do you think Cluxton has a chance of winning an AI this year?
Do you think Clarke would have a chance of winning an AI this year?

MayoBuck

Quote from: Crete Boom on January 04, 2021, 01:18:52 PM

Sad to see Clarkie go, probably our greatest ever keeper and it is no accident that Ger Caff and Brendan Harrison won their All Stars with Clarkie between the sticks. I am not as worried about his inevitable exit as I was a couple of years ago because I think the likes of Luke Jennings, Matthew Flanagan and Colm Reape should insure there isn't much drop off in goalkeeping for Mayo over the next 5 to 10 years.
At least we won't have to be bored to death about the flight/trajectory of his kickouts anymore from the anit Clarke faction in Knockmore Mayo!! ;D

For all the giving out people did about us not blooding a new goalkeeper, Clarke and Hennelly were clearly the top 2 in the county for the last decade. As you say, I'd be more optimistic about the younger goalkeepers around currently. Between Reape, Flanagan, Jennings and possibly Conor O'Malley who is finished up with Peterborough. Surely we can make one of them into a top keeper.

Crete Boom

Quote from: MayoBuck on January 04, 2021, 08:21:48 PM
Quote from: Crete Boom on January 04, 2021, 01:18:52 PM

Sad to see Clarkie go, probably our greatest ever keeper and it is no accident that Ger Caff and Brendan Harrison won their All Stars with Clarkie between the sticks. I am not as worried about his inevitable exit as I was a couple of years ago because I think the likes of Luke Jennings, Matthew Flanagan and Colm Reape should insure there isn't much drop off in goalkeeping for Mayo over the next 5 to 10 years.
At least we won't have to be bored to death about the flight/trajectory of his kickouts anymore from the anit Clarke faction in Knockmore Mayo!! ;D

For all the giving out people did about us not blooding a new goalkeeper, Clarke and Hennelly were clearly the top 2 in the county for the last decade. As you say, I'd be more optimistic about the younger goalkeepers around currently. Between Reape, Flanagan, Jennings and possibly Conor O'Malley who is finished up with Peterborough. Surely we can make one of them into a top keeper.

I alwas thought Rory Byrne and Brian Walsh looked every bit as good as Hennelly in club football and Clarkie when fit was a level above all of them. Hennelly had plenty of talent probably as much as Clarkie but he was too inconsistent and always seemed to fold under pressure in big games leading to fatal mistakes which cost games. Hennelly is terrible under the high ball and too many times easily beaten at his near post and really his potential rather than performance kept him in the county squad this long.

Blowitupref

Quote from: MayoBuck on January 04, 2021, 08:12:01 PM

Yes another reason for why I find it strange he's called time on his county career.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Blowitupref on January 04, 2021, 10:33:25 PM

Yes another reason for why I find it strange he's called time on his county career.

Sometimes you've just had enough. Christy Ring packed it in before a county semi-final. Potentially only two games to go and decided he was finished one morning and that was it.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Blowitupref on January 04, 2021, 10:33:25 PM

HE's a married man so I presume he has family commitments to consider as well.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi