Retirements

Started by Maroon Manc, July 09, 2018, 01:50:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farrandeelin

Quote from: tonto1888 on October 04, 2020, 01:02:08 PM
He was a fantastic player. Sad that he has retired

On the ONeill debate, as an armagh man I hated him. As a football fan he was brilliant. Can't say anymore than rhat

Your second paragraph sums up me and Connolly. Pity he didn't quit in 2016.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Rufus T Firefly

Interesting discussion. For me Connolly is an all time great who had the ability to change the biggest matches.

I think the comparisons elsewhere on some top players, in terms of their greatness, is really splitting hairs.

Quote from: BennyCake on October 03, 2020, 01:14:03 PM
I haven't forgot Joyce's AI final tally. A great player he was, but I felt the other two had the ability to thread passes, or take outrageous scores that lifted their team or turn a game.

I've two stand out memories of Joyce. One was an All Ireland semi-final against Kildare (I think), in pouring rain, where he stood facing out the field at a Kildare kickout and indicated to the whole team to play the ball to him, such was his unbelievable confidence. I remember thinking the confidence that must have given to the whole Galway side at the time. A winner.

The second was a league game against Armagh in Crossmaglen. He run across the Armagh goal, about thirty yards out and then kicked the ball left footed back over his right shoulder towards the far corner. My immediate reaction was relief at his mis-hit effort for a point, until the ball landed in the hands of a free man on the overlap who scored a goal. It was a moment of genius and to me was as good a pass as I have ever seen.

bannside

Stevie O Neill the pick of those three. Genius at play.

An Watcher

Stevie's display when Francie was marking him in croker was as good as I've seen. Think it may have been the drawn ulster final of 05. Hitting points from all angles

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: An Watcher on October 06, 2020, 07:18:30 PM
Stevie's display when Francie was marking him in croker was as good as I've seen. Think it may have been the drawn ulster final of 05. Hitting points from all angles

I think you are thinking of the replay, when he scored points into the Canal goal off his right and his left from acute angles. I'm sure Andy Mallon was marking him. I'm open to correction on all of that.

Redhand Santa

Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on October 06, 2020, 11:06:51 PM
Quote from: An Watcher on October 06, 2020, 07:18:30 PM

I think you are thinking of the replay, when he scored points into the Canal goal off his right and his left from acute angles. I'm sure Andy Mallon was marking him. I'm open to correction on all of that.

It was the first game he destroyed Bellew in. Scored 6 from play or something of him and tortured him all afternoon.

Blowitupref

Paul Kerrigan has retired from inter-county football
The All-Ireland winner, who made his debut in 2008, featured in this year's win over Kerry and was unused sub in the Munster final against Tipperary.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Itchy

Quote from: Blowitupref on November 27, 2020, 04:13:35 PM
The All-Ireland winner, who made his debut in 2008, featured in this year's win over Kerry and was unused sub in the Munster final against Tipperary.

Thought it very odd a direct runner like him didn't get 15 minutes at least against Tipp. Excellent player in his prime.

Angelo

Quote from: Itchy on November 28, 2020, 10:54:30 AM
Quote from: Blowitupref on November 27, 2020, 04:13:35 PM

Thought it very odd a direct runner like him didn't get 15 minutes at least against Tipp. Excellent player in his prime.

Kerrigan has looked about 2 stone overweight when I've seen him play in the last few years. Suprised he was still on the Cork panel if I'm honest.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Rossfan

Tommy Moolick of Kildare .
Young enough I think probably doesn't see any point being from a Leinster County.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

sid waddell

Quote from: Rossfan on November 28, 2020, 08:05:53 PM
Young enough I think probably doesn't see any point being from a Leinster County.
Moolick is around 27/28

Lads are entitled to use their time however they wish and more power to him but it's demonstrative of why Kildare get nowhere - inter-county level is too difficult, so they quit

Captain Obvious

Injury related i presume played a part in that decision.

From the Bunker

Quote from: sid waddell on November 28, 2020, 08:20:00 PM
Moolick is around 27/28

Lads are entitled to use their time however they wish and more power to him but it's demonstrative of why Kildare get nowhere - inter-county level is too difficult, so they quit

He could have shown a bit of ambition to win things and declared for Dublin!

sid waddell

Quote from: From the Bunker on November 28, 2020, 08:54:36 PM
Moolick is around 27/28

He could have shown a bit of ambition to win things and declared for Dublin!
Think you'll find Kildare have much more of a record of enticing lads from other counties to declare for them with the promise of winning things than Dublin do

Dinny Breen

Moolick is around 27/28

Mate, you're a Dublin fanboy, you know f**k all about club football and even less about Kildare football. Enjoy your asterisk All Ireland's.
#newbridgeornowhere