"increasing hostility to the use of Irish by players, officials and supporters"

Started by dec, December 19, 2007, 03:58:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dec

Sean Ban does U-turn over Galway job

Veteran Irish language broadcaster, Sean Ban Breathnach, has decided not to quit his position as Cultural and Irish Officer of the Galway County Board. At a meeting of the Galway County Board on Monday night, he expressed his disillusionment after increasing hostility to the use of Irish by players, officials and supporters.

"This is on playing pitches by managers and mentors and supporters and even to referees. I experienced it myself first hand during the summer," he said. "Every time these people hear Irish being spoken on the pitch they just seem to lose it."

Breathnach had been annoyed over what he perceived as a growing intolerance to the Irish language in Galway GAA circles. However, he was encouraged by the support he got from various clubs around the county and has taken a last minute U-turn and will continue to serve in his role for the foreseeable future.

tayto

Pangurban

While i think Mr.Breatnach is over-stating his case, there has been a diminishing of support for the Language within the association, and in a few rare cases complete antagonism. I believe this is regettable but others will differ. Certainly you no less a gael without the language

GalwayBayBoy

QuoteEvery time these people hear Irish being spoken on the pitch they just seem to lose it

I wouldn't mind hearing him expand on this. My own club is in the Gaeltacht and there are quite a few Gaeltacht clubs in Galway who would use Irish on the field of play but I wouldn't think there is any major hostility towards it although you might head the odd remark alright.

GalwayBayBoy

More in the Indo.

Concern at `racism` in GAA

By Brian McDonald
Thursday December 20 2007

Youngsters playing Gaelic games are being derided and "slagged off" for speaking Irish while on the pitch.

GAA officer and broadcaster Sean Ban Breathnach said he was stunned by the level of such "racism" toward juveniles and others on the playing fields.

As a voluntary Irish Officer with the Galway County GAA Board, the Raidio na Gaeltachta commentator said he had come across several incidents in which Irish-speaking players had been on the receiving end for not speaking in English.

And it was not just opposing players and mentors who were guilty. the problem extended even to referees, he said.

"I remember one occasion when a young player came over to me in tears and told me that the referee had asked him for his proper name after he had given it to him in Irish", said Sean Ban.

"That to me is racism. We have about 10 clubs in Co Galway that conduct their business in Irish and it is the first language of the players and officials.

Increasing

"But there is an increasing level of abuse being directed towards them and I am very concerned about what will now happen when the GAA integrates people from other origins into the organisation.``

"It is only a matter of time before someone with different coloured skin to the rest of us ends up playing for Galway. Are we ready for it?," he asked.

He pointed out that he carried out his duties as Oigigeach Gaeilge bilingually, but was anxious his position was not interpreted as "ramming Irish down people`s throats".

"Irish is there to be enjoyed. It is part of our culture and it should not be used as something for derision or for belittling people.

"But unfortunately, such attitudes seem far too prevalent from what I have seen in Galway during the year".

Galway Co Board Chairman, Gerry Larkin agreed that it was a serious issue.

Mr Larkin said: "It is important that a close eye is kept on this and that appropriate action is taken when there are offences. It cannot be tolerated".

- Brian McDonald

Irish Independent

passedit

Quote from: hardstation on December 20, 2007, 06:32:41 PM
Quote"I remember one occasion when a young player came over to me in tears and told me that the referee had asked him for his proper name after he had given it to him in Irish", said Sean Ban.
That's like when Séimí Phádraig Dubh got whacked by his teacher when he didn't answer to James Gallagher on his first day at school.

I recall playing a game more than twenty years ago where our full back got the line for giving his name in irish when he was booked.  ::)
Don't Panic

passedit

Quote from: hardstation on December 20, 2007, 06:44:37 PM
Quote from: passedit on December 20, 2007, 06:39:42 PM
Quote from: hardstation on December 20, 2007, 06:32:41 PM
Quote"I remember one occasion when a young player came over to me in tears and told me that the referee had asked him for his proper name after he had given it to him in Irish", said Sean Ban.
That's like when Séimí Phádraig Dubh got whacked by his teacher when he didn't answer to James Gallagher on his first day at school.

I recall playing a game more than twenty years ago where our full back got the line for giving his name in irish when he was booked.  ::)
Little did the ref know that Cheatain Ó Bastaird was actually the full back's name in Irish.
;D Not that particular lad's style HS, indeed i cannot recall him being even booked before or since, however the ref's judgement may have been coloured by the eighteen month suspension previously handed out to one of our other players for giving his name as 'Bo Peep'. IKYN
Don't Panic

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Frank Casey

Dara O Cinneide was slagged off 3 years ago when he made his entire acceptance speech as gaeilge. To those who had an issue with this (mainly cos they couldn't understand what was being said) well tough. Its a free country with Irish as the first official national language. People may complain about being forced to learn Irish at school when they didn't like to or want to - well people shouldn't be forced to use english either.
KERRY 3:7

stew

Quote from: Frank Casey on December 20, 2007, 07:32:20 PM
Dara O Cinneide was slagged off 3 years ago when he made his entire acceptance speech as gaeilge. To those who had an issue with this (mainly cos they couldn't understand what was being said) well tough. Its a free country with Irish as the first official national language. People may complain about being forced to learn Irish at school when they didn't like to or want to - well people shouldn't be forced to use english either.

Only a bollocks would slag off OCinneide for giving his speech in Irish and I am absolutely amazed and disgusted that this is an issue at all.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Seany

We pay only lip service to Irish, but our job is only to promote it, not revive it and infairness we do a good enough job here.  It's the govt's job to revive it and they are failing spectacularly. 

Gnevin

Quote from: hardstation on December 20, 2007, 10:07:49 PM
What exactly are we doing to promote it?
Names in irish and eh the opening paragraph of the program. With all  this i'm surprised we arent all speaking it now
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Pangurban

Re. promotion of Language, recent research revealed that the majority Clubs did nothing to promote the language, and only a small number of Clubs predominately in the North organised Irish classes. This is a shame

Fear ón Srath Bán

If any GAA individual, be it a player, referee, administrator, etc., exhibits hostility towards the native tongue, then that should result in assured and severe punitive action. It's simply not on that such an attitude should be given succour in an organisation who's very raison d'etre is about the protection of such fundamental traditions, and that's not to say that everyone must pay homage, just at the very least to refrain from being antagonistic.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

clarshack