Another PR disaster

Started by sligoman2, April 23, 2019, 11:27:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

weareros

I think there's rules and there's judgement. The club broke the rules but exercised the right judgement in raising money for a local with a terrible illness. The GAA hierarchy followed the rules but exercised very poor judgement in punishing the club.

sligoman2

The optics on this are terrible.  More fodder for the duff dinosaur brigade.  The gaa can't ignore social media, some of the comments on this are very disappointing.  I'm all for following the rules but I'm a bigger fan of changing them when they are outdated and lead to controversy and bad presss. 
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

Kickham csc

Quote from: sligoman2 on April 24, 2019, 01:22:23 PM
The optics on this are terrible.  More fodder for the duff dinosaur brigade.  The gaa can't ignore social media, some of the comments on this are very disappointing.  I'm all for following the rules but I'm a bigger fan of changing them when they are outdated and lead to controversy and bad presss.

If someone broke their leg during the event, who's insurance would they claim off?

Did the charity event organizers arrange insurance?

Did the charity event sign an insurance wavier and accept responsibility if someone got hurt?

Did the club accept responsibility?

This is a serious issue. Clubs / charity organizers can't ignore rules like they did in this instance, no matter how good the intentions were.

Dougal Maguire

So is the GAA that autocratic that a Club needs to seek permission to run events for its local community? What about this social capital role that the GAA plays and we see referenced in every funding application? I think this insurance business is a complete red herring. Club public liability insurance can't be that tight surely?
Careful now

five points

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on April 24, 2019, 02:27:01 PM
So is the GAA that autocratic that a Club needs to seek permission to run events for its local community? What about this social capital role that the GAA plays and we see referenced in every funding application? I think this insurance business is a complete red herring. Club public liability insurance can't be that tight surely?

For someone who claims to work on sports club property funding applications, you seem curiously ignorant of the legal and insurance environment concerning such properties. I call BS.

Dougal Maguire

Careful now

johnnycool

If we hire our hall out to a local Irish Dancing school we take a copy of their public liability cover in advance. Same with a Pilates class.

The GAA has tightened up on these extra cirricular activities in a big way.

WRT this particular tournament. why did the organisers play it as a soccer match if this lad was a former member and GAA coach?

Surely it would have made more sense to have a gaelic football tournament or am I missing something?

trailer

Quote from: johnnycool on April 24, 2019, 02:48:26 PM

If we hire our hall out to a local Irish Dancing school we take a copy of their public liability cover in advance. Same with a Pilates class.

The GAA has tightened up on these extra cirricular activities in a big way.

WRT this particular tournament. why did the organisers play it as a soccer match if this lad was a former member and GAA coach?

Surely it would have made more sense to have a gaelic football tournament or am I missing something?

+1 Was just about to post this.

If people think the rule is out of date or goes against the spirit of the GAA they should motion to have it changed. It's really that simple. The GAA is a democracy.

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: sligoman2 on April 24, 2019, 01:22:23 PM
The optics on this are terrible.  More fodder for the duff dinosaur brigade.  The gaa can't ignore social media,

Nah, its more a reflection on the low IQ tendencies of social media.

The "ah sure it'll be grand" mentality doesn't work anymore. For both those who run the GAA or for those who would seek to use their facilities.

If the event is not self-insured, then the GAA have every right to fire the book at those that authorised using GAA facilities.

Thinking otherwise is really, really naive.

If the event was self-insured, then its an entirely different argument and one purely of internal matters.
i usse an speelchekor

haranguerer

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on April 24, 2019, 02:47:31 PM
BS??

Fully behind the gaa in this instance. If they wanted to play a soccer match, play it at whatever soccer club he was connected to. If they wanted to emphasize his gaa credentials (as they have done now) and play it at the local gaelic club, play a gaelic match. Permission for the soccer match was denied twice. They obviously decided to plough ahead knowing they'd be able to bank on the court of (uninformed) public opinion afterwards. I hope the ban is upheld.

StephenC

In the midst of all these posts is the fact that there is a former player and coach with the GAA that has received a devastating MND diagnosis. Community is about rallying around those in need and the local people have done that in spades. And they'll continue to do so no matter what BS is presented as reasons why they shouldn't.

five points

Quote from: StephenC on April 24, 2019, 04:12:54 PM
In the midst of all these posts is the fact that there is a former player and coach with the GAA that has received a devastating MND diagnosis.

All the more reason why the club should have had the basic cop-on not to drag him into the controversy that they knew from the outset their actions would cause.

skeog

Who reported the breach in the first place wouldnt say be many GAA bigwigs around on a cold wet day in March.

sligoman2

I understand all the insurance comments but that is still not the issue here.  Even if they got full insurance the soccer game could still not be played on a gaa club pitch as our outdated rules prohibit it.  Let's be honest, the reason for the rule was not insurance concerns back then.  The GAA does many positive and good things but situations like this only give gaa haters ammunition to bash the "grab all association" as they so eloquently describe it.

Soccer is not the enemy, outdated rules and rulers are imo...
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

rosnarun

Quote from: sligoman2 on April 24, 2019, 05:30:49 PM
I understand all the insurance comments but that is still not the issue here.  Even if they got full insurance the soccer game could still not be played on a gaa club pitch as our outdated rules prohibit it.  Let’s be honest, the reason for the rule was not insurance concerns back then.  The GAA does many positive and good things but situations like this only give gaa haters ammunition to bash the “grab all association” as they so eloquently describe it.

Soccer is not the enemy, outdated rules and rulers are imo...
at this stage its quiet simple . a constituent member of an organization knowingly flouted the rules of the organization.
that cannot go unpunished
statements about charity and soccer etc just confuse the issue
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere