Another PR disaster

Started by sligoman2, April 23, 2019, 11:27:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

haranguerer

A lot of people round the country raised a lot of money to pay for the facilities we see in gaa clubs up and down the country. Other sports are free to do the same for their own grounds - all would benefit from grant/lottery matching. Why should gaa members have to put up with other sports using the facilities they put the work into? The charity argument is the red herring.

Dougal Maguire

Quote from: haranguerer on April 25, 2019, 08:51:28 AM
A lot of people round the country raised a lot of money to pay for the facilities we see in gaa clubs up and down the country. Other sports are free to do the same for their own grounds - all would benefit from grant/lottery matching. Why should gaa members have to put up with other sports using the facilities they put the work into? The charity argument is the red herring.
So when a local community who, as you correctly say, raised the money to provide its GAA facilities decides that it wants to host a charity event on its own grounds, why should it have to seek permission to do so? I'd have thought it should be allowed to make the decision itself. The organisers of the charity event would have to prove it had the necessary arrangements in place -insurance, risk assessments, supervision, security etc. If they hadn't then it's a non starter. In this case the charity doesn't even get to the starting post. So much for social capital etc.
Careful now

naka

Quote from: johnnycool on April 24, 2019, 02:48:26 PM
Quote from: Dougal Maguire on April 24, 2019, 02:27:01 PM
So is the GAA that autocratic that a Club needs to seek permission to run events for its local community? What about this social capital role that the GAA plays and we see referenced in every funding application? I think this insurance business is a complete red herring. Club public liability insurance can't be that tight surely?

If we hire our hall out to a local Irish Dancing school we take a copy of their public liability cover in advance. Same with a Pilates class.

The GAA has tightened up on these extra cirricular activities in a big way.

WRT this particular tournament. why did the organisers play it as a soccer match if this lad was a former member and GAA coach?

Surely it would have made more sense to have a gaelic football tournament or am I missing something?
no one seems to have answered why it was a soccer tournament on gaa land?
why not play Gaa?

Rossfan

Exactly.
Like the Sean Cox fundraisers - Meath v Dublin in Páirc Tailteann, Irish XI v Liverpool XI played soccer in Aviva.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: haranguerer on April 25, 2019, 08:51:28 AM

Yet the GAA are happy to use other sports facilities when it suits them... Anti Finnegsns gsme for example.

The charity argument  is fundamental. Whats more importsnt. Being a cornerstone of the community and raising funfs fir a GAA man or giving soccer a slap they didnt even notice?

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Rossfan on April 25, 2019, 10:37:12 AM
Exactly.
Like the Sean Cox fundraisers - Meath v Dublin in Páirc Tailteann, Irish XI v Liverpool XI played soccer in Aviva.
The GAA were represented in the Aviva. Soccer didnt care

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: trailer on April 25, 2019, 06:48:49 AM
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on April 25, 2019, 03:19:58 AM
Quote from: 6th sam on April 25, 2019, 02:51:09 AM
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on April 25, 2019, 01:47:32 AM
Quote from: thewobbler on April 25, 2019, 12:03:12 AM
I'd be interested to learn how the "angry populists" would like to handle these situations.

Should we really relinquish the blanket rule that GAA grounds are for Gaelic Games only? I mean what could possibly be gained from such a rule change? The GAA has continued to thrive throughout soccer's mass explosion as a result of the EPL and Satellite TV. Mainly because it is grounded in being a community sport. Central, well-maintained facilities in every village in Ireland, run by the community for the community. That's the GAA's USP.

So if not that, then what it is you actually want? That any facility can be used in the name of charity? Or should we appoint a committee to oversee if charities are the "right sort of charities", and not some scam by local soccer heads... or perhaps a fundraiser for Saoradh? Maybe we can let Twitter decide, as there's no dinosaurs hang out over there.

And then if you get what you want. What next? Should we get rid of the #onelifeoneclub philosophy? Surely that one is from a dinosaur age too? Sure isn't there thousands of lads have turned their back on the GAA because of it? And we can't be doing that in 2019.

Then what next? Sure maybe we look at smaller pitches. Not only would they cost less to maintain, but they'll be more suited to our local soccer teams too. And once we've gone that far, wouldn't be great if we could experiment with some of the GAA players - let's say 10 on each team - not being able to use their hands? That would bring us more in line with soccer, and sure it has a worldwide appeal, so can't be doing it wrong. Then we can start paying the players too. Great.

—-

I'm a huge fan of association football by the way. But condemning the GAA as anti-community is so wrong on so many levels that it's borderline blasphemy. It is the ultimate community organisation. And its rules and regulations are the cornerstone of how it got here.

Run by the community for the community is a great line, but they got punished for doing exactly that, being part of the community and running a charitable event for a Gael.

The rules relating to banning foreign games were put in place to ensure the GAA embedded as those sports had generations on them. Its now 2019 and many clubs need the revenue that renting the astro would bring. An astro they funded and maintain. It would also be nice for clubs to decide what community events they can support without jobsworths spiking them for 2 months.
Regardless of the ins and outs of this case, ultimately my empathy is with the those in greatest need in this case.
It seems to me that the club and the county board should have handled this case more sensitively , given circumstances so traumatic , few of us can comprehend. A sensible approach could probably have got this one "over the line". I only hope that the controversy whilst having a negative PR for the GAA will serve to highlight and bolster the cause for this Man and his family.
That said, there are clear cut rules and a clear process to change them. But There is also a clear hypocrisy in the corporate GAA's restricting any relaxation of the rules for Croke Park and county boards, but not clubs.
Though the insurance arguments are valid, they are not insurmountable.
However Wobbler is right imho regarding the GAA having a responsibility to protect the best community organisation in the world . Soccer is a direct rival for our players and whilst cooperation between the sports is mostly for the benefit of both sports, there are valid reasons why GAA must be guarded about diluting principles which have served it well.
The controversy and bad PR surrounding this will delight those with an unhealthy resentment, poor understanding and lack of respect for the GAA.
We are a sporting organisation like no other, and our ethos and several of our regulations are the reason why we punch well above our weight.
It disappoints me that this is another controversy which could have been avoided with good sense and goodwill from all parties.

You appear to be suffering from a severe case of 'splinterinthearseitis' from all that fence sitting.

Well done on stopping soccer in its tracks by hammering a club for helping a GAA man out  There is a club full of fellas with two months of arse scratching ahead. Wonder where they might go?

Those principles made sense at the time they were brought in. They are a clear handicap to the clubs now. If this was held in a county ground, there would be no issue. Its another slap in the face to a club game that has no support.

Don't like the rule? Then change it. If you're a member of a GAA club you can do it. Masquerading as a GAA member won't work though. You actually have to be a paid up member of a club. Feel free to update us.

Update you? How? Want to call up and say that to my face?

five points

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on April 25, 2019, 09:02:30 AM

So when a local community who, as you correctly say, raised the money to provide its GAA facilities decides that it wants to host a charity event on its own grounds, why should it have to seek permission to do so? I'd have thought it should be allowed to make the decision itself.

Because - as you well know but feign not to - the central GAA would be held secondarily liable for any significant injury claim arising from an event held on a GAA-owned pitch or premises, if there is any flaw or gap in the host unit's insurance cover.

So much for social capital etc.
Quite. That's what happens in a compo culture.

Hound

Quote from: Lar Naparka on April 24, 2019, 11:22:11 PM
Quote from: Dougal Maguire on April 24, 2019, 07:56:46 PM
I'm saying it's a red herring insofar as that's not the reason the event was prohibited and you know that as well as I do.
+1
There is no other logical reason. We are not getting the full story here.
According to the Irish Times today, an individual lodged an official complaint to the Donegal county board, alleging the club had allowed their facilities to be used improperly. So the Donegal county board were obliged to investigate and follow the rules. No mention of insurance in the article, I'd also guess that insurance is a red herring. But we're certainly not getting the full story either.

seafoid

How much would Eurocamp charge for a week in Frejus in July ?
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

trailer

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on April 25, 2019, 11:00:05 AM
Quote from: trailer on April 25, 2019, 06:48:49 AM
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on April 25, 2019, 03:19:58 AM
Quote from: 6th sam on April 25, 2019, 02:51:09 AM
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on April 25, 2019, 01:47:32 AM
Quote from: thewobbler on April 25, 2019, 12:03:12 AM
I'd be interested to learn how the "angry populists" would like to handle these situations.

Should we really relinquish the blanket rule that GAA grounds are for Gaelic Games only? I mean what could possibly be gained from such a rule change? The GAA has continued to thrive throughout soccer's mass explosion as a result of the EPL and Satellite TV. Mainly because it is grounded in being a community sport. Central, well-maintained facilities in every village in Ireland, run by the community for the community. That's the GAA's USP.

So if not that, then what it is you actually want? That any facility can be used in the name of charity? Or should we appoint a committee to oversee if charities are the "right sort of charities", and not some scam by local soccer heads... or perhaps a fundraiser for Saoradh? Maybe we can let Twitter decide, as there's no dinosaurs hang out over there.

And then if you get what you want. What next? Should we get rid of the #onelifeoneclub philosophy? Surely that one is from a dinosaur age too? Sure isn't there thousands of lads have turned their back on the GAA because of it? And we can't be doing that in 2019.

Then what next? Sure maybe we look at smaller pitches. Not only would they cost less to maintain, but they'll be more suited to our local soccer teams too. And once we've gone that far, wouldn't be great if we could experiment with some of the GAA players - let's say 10 on each team - not being able to use their hands? That would bring us more in line with soccer, and sure it has a worldwide appeal, so can't be doing it wrong. Then we can start paying the players too. Great.

—-

I'm a huge fan of association football by the way. But condemning the GAA as anti-community is so wrong on so many levels that it's borderline blasphemy. It is the ultimate community organisation. And its rules and regulations are the cornerstone of how it got here.

Run by the community for the community is a great line, but they got punished for doing exactly that, being part of the community and running a charitable event for a Gael.

The rules relating to banning foreign games were put in place to ensure the GAA embedded as those sports had generations on them. Its now 2019 and many clubs need the revenue that renting the astro would bring. An astro they funded and maintain. It would also be nice for clubs to decide what community events they can support without jobsworths spiking them for 2 months.
Regardless of the ins and outs of this case, ultimately my empathy is with the those in greatest need in this case.
It seems to me that the club and the county board should have handled this case more sensitively , given circumstances so traumatic , few of us can comprehend. A sensible approach could probably have got this one "over the line". I only hope that the controversy whilst having a negative PR for the GAA will serve to highlight and bolster the cause for this Man and his family.
That said, there are clear cut rules and a clear process to change them. But There is also a clear hypocrisy in the corporate GAA's restricting any relaxation of the rules for Croke Park and county boards, but not clubs.
Though the insurance arguments are valid, they are not insurmountable.
However Wobbler is right imho regarding the GAA having a responsibility to protect the best community organisation in the world . Soccer is a direct rival for our players and whilst cooperation between the sports is mostly for the benefit of both sports, there are valid reasons why GAA must be guarded about diluting principles which have served it well.
The controversy and bad PR surrounding this will delight those with an unhealthy resentment, poor understanding and lack of respect for the GAA.
We are a sporting organisation like no other, and our ethos and several of our regulations are the reason why we punch well above our weight.
It disappoints me that this is another controversy which could have been avoided with good sense and goodwill from all parties.

You appear to be suffering from a severe case of 'splinterinthearseitis' from all that fence sitting.

Well done on stopping soccer in its tracks by hammering a club for helping a GAA man out  There is a club full of fellas with two months of arse scratching ahead. Wonder where they might go?

Those principles made sense at the time they were brought in. They are a clear handicap to the clubs now. If this was held in a county ground, there would be no issue. Its another slap in the face to a club game that has no support.

Don't like the rule? Then change it. If you're a member of a GAA club you can do it. Masquerading as a GAA member won't work though. You actually have to be a paid up member of a club. Feel free to update us.

Update you? How? Want to call up and say that to my face?

Is this the GAAboard version of asking someone outside?
Don't really give a f**k big lad, you can post your updates here or I'll watch to see if your GAA club submits a motion for consideration. (Assuming you're a member of a club)

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: five points on April 25, 2019, 11:00:15 AM

So when a local community who, as you correctly say, raised the money to provide its GAA facilities decides that it wants to host a charity event on its own grounds, why should it have to seek permission to do so? I'd have thought it should be allowed to make the decision itself.

Because - as you well know but feign not to - the central GAA would be held secondarily liable for any significant injury claim arising from an event held on a GAA-owned pitch or premises, if there is any flaw or gap in the host unit's insurance cover.

So much for social capital etc.
Quite. That's what happens in a compo culture.

So how do other sports manage? How did the IRFU when a GAA game was played on their turf?

Dougal Maguire

How many claims of this nature have been made in the past 12 months? The same excuse was used to stop people getting onto the Croke Park pitch after big games
Careful now

trailer

Nobody able to answer why a GAA club held a Soccer fundraiser for a GAA coach and player?

Maiden1

Quote from: trailer on April 25, 2019, 01:36:01 PM
Nobody able to answer why a GAA club held a Soccer fundraiser for a GAA coach and player?
Unless someone on the board is from the club they probably don't have an answer.
There are no proofs, only opinions.