Another PR disaster

Started by sligoman2, April 23, 2019, 11:27:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sligoman2

http://www.hoganstand.com/Article/Index/298377

Another PR disaster waiting to happen after this incident in Donegal.  It's time to move out of the dark ages and become more flexible especially when it can help someone who is ill and has donated countless hours to their club. I understand that rules are rules but we are not living in the 1960's and our rules and MANIFESTO😉😉 should be more in tune the reality of modern day society.
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

thewobbler

Personally I'm sick to f**king death of people using charity as an excuse to bash the GAA.

The rules were put in place for a reason. Some of them might be OTT. Some might not be relevant for 21st century Ireland. But these can and will be changed at Congress in the near future, if they really are out of step.

Until then, everyone should pipe down. Rules are in place to protect, not to punish.

tonto1888

Quote from: thewobbler on April 23, 2019, 11:37:03 PM
Personally I'm sick to f**king death of people using charity as an excuse to bash the GAA.

The rules were put in place for a reason. Some of them might be OTT. Some might not be relevant for 21st century Ireland. But these can and will be changed at Congress in the near future, if they really are out of step.

Until then, everyone should pipe down. Rules are in place to protect, not to punish.

Yet these rules seem to be punishing

haranguerer

Spot on. Is there no responsibility on those organizing an event to have it approved? Or does everyone just charge ahead now and run to the media when there is a reaction?

Farrandeelin

Quote from: haranguerer on April 24, 2019, 08:29:32 AM

Spot on. Is there no responsibility on those organizing an event to have it approved? Or does everyone just charge ahead now and run to the media when there is a reaction?

Agree with wobbler myself on this one. Unfortunately with social media these days it's even cooler to go and rant and rave, so people would have portrayed the GAA as the baddies once again.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

five points

PR disaster, or Eamon McGee boosting his profile again at the GAA's expense?

Dinny Breen

Those common sense not prevail in the GAA.

The club broke the rules but the punishment does not fit the crime. Surely a wrap on the knuckles and a suspended fine would be sufficient.
#newbridgeornowhere

westbound

Quote from: Dinny Breen on April 24, 2019, 11:17:15 AM

The club broke the rules but the punishment does not fit the crime. Surely a wrap on the knuckles and a suspended fine would be sufficient.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2019/0423/1045169-donegal-club-banned/

I would agree with you Dinny, if the club broke the rules inadvertedly or if they were unaware of the rule.

However, from the rte article it appears that they requested permission and were refused twice, yet still went ahead with the tournament! If that is true I don't have much sympathy for the club.

Whether the rule should or should not be in place is irrelevant in this case.  The rule currently is in place, the club were aware of it, were refused permission to hold the tournament and still decided to go ahead.

five points

The club broke the rules but the punishment does not fit the crime.

The club does have a right to appeal the proposed punishment. But it will have a lot of explaining to do first.  Such an apparently casual approach to  event notification procedures and consequent insurance cover is a serious matter for club officials. A single uninsured claim arising from a fatality or catastrophic injury could bankrupt a club or county board.

Maiden1

Quote from: westbound on April 24, 2019, 11:23:48 AM

I would agree with you Dinny, if the club broke the rules inadvertedly or if they were unaware of the rule.

However, from the rte article it appears that they requested permission and were refused twice, yet still went ahead with the tournament! If that is true I don't have much sympathy for the club.

Whether the rule should or should not be in place is irrelevant in this case.  The rule currently is in place, the club were aware of it, were refused permission to hold the tournament and still decided to go ahead.
Why say no twice though (other than insurance considerations which they could have stipulated that the club cover)?

Plenty of clubs in rural areas share grounds e.g.  Bredagh in Down use a council pitch.  Belfast Harlequins have allowed St Brigids to share there facilities.
There are no proofs, only opinions.

five points

Quote from: Maiden1 on April 24, 2019, 11:33:18 AM
Why say no twice though (other than insurance considerations which they could have stipulated that the club cover)?

Plenty of clubs in rural areas share grounds e.g.  Bredagh in Down use a council pitch.  Belfast Harlequins have allowed St Brigids to share there facilities.

Such a stipulation wouldn't hold up for 2 minutes in a court if a claimant with serious spinal or other catastrophic injury presents with a claim arising from the event. The ultimate owner of the grounds is always on the hook on such situations.

That's why the GAA bans clubs and counties from hosting circuses and funfairs on its property.

Taylor

Quote from: five points on April 24, 2019, 11:37:15 AM

Such a stipulation wouldn't hold up for 2 minutes in a court if a claimant with serious spinal or other catastrophic injury presents with a claim arising from the event. The ultimate owner of the grounds is always on the hook on such situations.

That's why the GAA bans clubs and counties from hosting circuses and funfairs on its property.

And bouncing castles - though some clubs openly flaunt this rule and no sanctions seem to be taken  :o

Rossfan

If they were refused permission twice and then went ahead anyway.... hard to have sympathy for them.
Or is it time for the GAA to add a new rule to the end of the T.O?
"The above rules will not apply if Social media seems them unfit for popular consumption"?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Maiden1

Quote from: Rossfan on April 24, 2019, 11:51:22 AM
If they were refused permission twice and then went ahead anyway.... hard to have sympathy for them.
Or is it time for the GAA to add a new rule to the end of the T.O?
"The above rules will not apply if Social media seems them unfit for popular consumption"?
Or just do away with the rule altogether
There are no proofs, only opinions.

westbound

Quote from: westbound on April 24, 2019, 11:23:48 AM

Because it's against the rule that is currently in place!

Perhaps the rule should be removed, but until it is done so by congress  (and not by the social media congress!) the rule has to be applied!