Aidan O'Rourke leaves Kildare set-up

Started by Donnellys Hollow, August 19, 2011, 12:28:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donnellys Hollow

Hearing this morning that O'Rourke will no longer be a selector with Kildare next season.

I wouldn't be surprised if Anthony Rainbow joined the senior management now from the u21s with Tom Cribbin expected to replace Alan Barry as their manager.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

armaghniac

Perhaps he'd like a job closer to home?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

David McKeown

How long before he is linked to the role of super coach at Armagh as described by the Irish News last week.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

onefaircounty

Quote from: David McKeown on August 19, 2011, 01:00:32 PM
How long before he is linked to the role of super coach at Armagh as described by the Irish News last week.

Sometime last week probably.

naka

didnt he get the queen`s gig( director of football or something), this may prevent him from travelling to kildare as regularly as he did last year.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: naka on August 19, 2011, 01:13:17 PM
didnt he get the queen`s gig( director of football or something), this may prevent him from travelling to kildare as regularly as he did last year.

Yeah, that might preclude him from taking on an active role with Armagh as there would be a huge conflict of interest there.

drici

Quote from: Hardy on August 19, 2011, 02:37:00 PM
I've been looking for trends for trainers in form. Having paper traded for a while, I started yesterday with real money, following Michael Bell (7 winners from his last 20 runners before yesterday, strike rate 35%, ROI of 106% to level stakes win bets) and Roger Charlton (10 winners from his last 20 runners, SR=50%, ROI=172%).

Last week, on paper, Bell delivered 19.44 points profit on bets of 8 points each way and Charlton delivered 29.98 on 10 points each way.

Yesterday I had four bets of one point e.w. and made a profit of 6.26 points on my investment of 8 (ROI =78%) when Set To Music won at 12 on Betfair, 1.81 for the place.

Today, Prompter has just been touched off by half a length into 3rd  in the 2:00 at York at 30 (!), 6.4 for the place.

The problem with hot yards is that you don't know when the streak is over and you'll lose some of whatever (if any) you make before you realise it's time to pull out. Or at worst, you notice the trend only when it's over and step in just in time to take the losses.

Anyway, for what it's worth, Bell has Margot Did in the 3:40 at York (25 on Betfair) and Charlton has Bated Breath in the same race (9.4) and Newnton Lodge in the 3:15 at Sandown (7.8 ) .

(Sorry for not mentioning this before now, but I wanted to get my feet wet before inviting people in for a dip. And sorry in advance if now is when it ends.)

Rumour that Aidan O'Rourke is heading to Jim Bolger's yard.

Hardy

Sorry for posting that in the wrong thread. I'm like a bull in a fog here. I'll see if I can trundle over to the racing thread.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on August 19, 2011, 12:28:45 PM
Hearing this morning that O'Rourke will no longer be a selector with Kildare next season.

I wouldn't be surprised if Anthony Rainbow joined the senior management now from the u21s with Tom Cribbin expected to replace Alan Barry as their manager.

I wouldn't be too sure about that, Rainbow has very little coaching experience and would be too close to the panel for my liking. I'd like a Kildare man involved but not sure if we have anyone to make a difference..
#newbridgeornowhere

onefaircounty

Will this have an impact on the Armagh set up?

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Dinny Breen on August 19, 2011, 03:02:05 PM
Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on August 19, 2011, 12:28:45 PM

I wouldn't be too sure about that, Rainbow has very little coaching experience and would be too close to the panel for my liking. I'd like a Kildare man involved but not sure if we have anyone to make a difference..

I'd have assumed that his involvement with the senior and u21 managements this year was to groom him for a role like this. His closeness to the panel wouldn't overly bother me. He knows Kildare football inside out so there would be no "getting to know you period."

Surely there's a few more of our own that are worth a mention - Sos maybe? I presume Glenn has committed to Longford for another year? I know Pádraig Brennan was highly thought of by the u21 panel from a few years ago but O'Rourke's role seemed to focus on the defensive side of things.

Dinny Breen

Were you happy with the U21s this year?

SOS I think would be good in the Niall Carew role, I'd like someone with an a good coaching background not just someone with knowledge, defensively we were excellent this year so I'm sure McGeeney can continue that but like a forwards coach in some capacity.

I'd like Rainbow to cut his cloth elsewhere, a senior club and a maybe a county gig on top of that, I know of interest there.
#newbridgeornowhere

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Dinny Breen on August 19, 2011, 05:10:41 PM
Were you happy with the U21s this year?

SOS I think would be good in the Niall Carew role, I'd like someone with an a good coaching background not just someone with knowledge, defensively we were excellent this year so I'm sure McGeeney can continue that but like a forwards coach in some capacity.

I'd like Rainbow to cut his cloth elsewhere, a senior club and a maybe a county gig on top of that, I know of interest there.

I thought they were a bit unlucky tbf. Very unfortunate to lose out by a point down in Wexford with Mulhall and Moolick out injured. Had they won that they'd have probably gone on to win the province. Considering most of the main players were only in their first season out of minor (Dowling, Fogarty, Hurley, Feely, Comerford), it was a big ask of them. We should be very competitive next year at u21 with those five lads and Mulhall and Moolick both underage again. If the speculation is correct, and Tom Cribbin is taking them next year, then I'd expect us to take a bit of stopping in Leinster at the very least.

Anthony is going to be involved with the seniors to some degree anyway but I'd like to see him given a more prominent role because he would be able to liase between the senior and u21 managements. The consensus at the moment is that we're still two or three players short from making the breakthrough at senior level. I don't see an awful lot on the junior team that is better than what is already on the extended senior panel. The new blood to (hopefully) push the seniors through the glass ceiling is going to have to come from the u21s and giving Anthony a prominent role with both managements might help accelerate the process. I personally think that we left it a bit too late this year in bringing some of the younger lads in. McGeeney only called in Fogarty and Hurley after the hiding we received up in Dungannon (second last league match) and it didn't give them enough time to bed in properly. Fogarty, in particular, could have made a big impact had he been blooded a bit earlier and the way Hurley hauled off in the second half of the Dublin match was unfair.

David McKeown

Quote from: onefaircounty on August 19, 2011, 01:09:39 PM
Quote from: David McKeown on August 19, 2011, 01:00:32 PM

Sometime last week probably.

I meant on here but i notice now someone already had
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

ck

O'Rourke had huge influence in the Kildare setup. Whilst McGeeney received all of the plaudits it was O'Rourke who took training, tactics and worked closley with the players. 'Super-coach' -esque if you like! Surely Armagh will approach him if they havent already?
His role at Queen's Uni is just a GAA officer job which would involve Admin and not coaching or managing so I dont see a conflict of interest if he were to take the Armagh job. Paddy out and Aidan in makes complete sense. Aidans brother Cathal would also be a man worth considering for Armagh?