New Dubs On The Block

Started by Hong Kong 16, December 26, 2006, 06:50:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hong Kong 16

Greetings, all.

Read a week ago that a new fella by the name of Smith (forward) is looking likely to be called into the squad (anyone have any more info on him?) and Johnny Magee has been brought back into the Dublin panel. Any other newbies/possibles looking to be selected?

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Hong Kong 16 on December 26, 2006, 06:50:16 PM
Greetings, all.

Read a week ago that a new fella by the name of Smith (forward) is looking likely to be called into the squad (anyone have any more info on him?) and Johnny Magee has been brought back into the Dublin panel. Any other newbies/possibles looking to be selected?

heard johnny magee is being given his chance
imo he should get the CHB job
my candidates would be
him or Lally - or Christe (if he is fit enough)
Cullen does a decent job but is too good a footballer and is better deployed at CHF, wing half back/forward or even midfield

Josey Whales

You're having  a laugh aren't you. Lally doesn't play chb for Brigids. If he doesn't play there at club level you cannot realistically play him there at county level. Magee will have to knock off a few stone first- i don't think he has the mobility for Croke Park. Instaed of creating problems for oursleves where in my opinion at centre half back none exist- we should instaed start looking for  afull back. Paddy Christie would be far more invaluable to the cause if he was installed back there to see if he can recapture his old form.
I've listened to all the arguments and I still believe Cullen is the best option for chb. He was hung out to dry last year against Mayo by a management team who gave him a specific role to play that day. As the game transpired- it wasn't the only call by the management team that backfired spectacularly.
I may be biased but the 2nd best centre half back in Dublin bar none is Ger Brennan from St Vincents. He in my view is the only reason why Cullen could be moved out of there-Forget the rest . Lally could cut it at wing -back and in my view is probably his best position but not at centre back-completely different position.

DUBSFORSAM1

Its a tough one about Cullen but think he should probably stay centre-back..

Questions to be answered this season:

1 - Can Vaughan with a full league campaign stand up to be counted as a quality inter-county full forward?
2 - Can Shaghnessy come back and fully challenge for a corner back position?
3 - If Christie isn't good enough to be full back who will play there? Not sure Cahil is the right man.
4 - Can Magee *2 both show good enough form to deserve places and in what positions??
5 - Can Colin Moran take back his position as left wing-back?
6 - Will Brogan junior or someone else come through in the forwards?
7 - Will Lally step up this year and really nail down a place???
8 - Will Miller be able o do a job at all????

Squad available maybe - who can be added to this???

Cluxton

Henry, Griffen, Cahill, Christie, Shaughnessy

Casey, Cullen, Moran, Ryan, Magee, Goggins

Whelan, Ryan, O'Mahony, Magee

Lally, Brogan, Cosgrove, O'Callaghan

Vaughan, Quinn, Sherlock, Bonnar,

Josey Whales

Miller isn't in the squad dubsforum- not sure the ins and outs of it but he isn't in the 40.

tayto

The Smith you heard about can only be Gareth Smith from Plunketts Eoghan Ruadh, he's got a sweet left foot on him, got a Blue Star award there recently. He's a good footballing footballer, if you know what i mean, could do a lot worse then giving him a chance to train with the panel and see how he does.

I really think 2007 will be the year Vaughan comes good for Dublin in the league, I'll get it from some people for this but I honestly think Vaughan is a better freetaker then Mossy, he hits them from all angles for Crokes, regularly.

Also think Bernard Brogan should get a real run in the league, he has bags of talent and could turn out to be every bit as dangerious as his brother.

Dermot Connolly is another forwrd who i'd be conbfident will be a Dublin regular in the future, I'd be tempted to leave him with the U21s this year but then again maybe you could go with the old idea that if he's good enough he's old enough, he has been prolific for club at senior and U21 recently. Either way i'd get him on the panel so he's doing the training.

I'd leave Cullen where he is for now, although if Christie comes back in at 3 then Cahill was excellent at 6 the year before so maybe Cullen could be moved, i like the idea of trying him in midfield, he coiuld be great in there. His clubmate Donnacha Reilly is another one who can play a variety of poositions. 

DUBSFORSAM1

Jose

Didn't think he would be but after another 6 months training/practice would it be a possibility as a target man off the bench

Josey Whales

i'd agree with tayto on Smith but the current management don't seem to fancy him and i'm not even sure he's in the squad. I think the other Smith is Shane Smith from Davis- again probably deserves a run- but again the management don't seem to fancy him either.
Personally i feel Connolly should be left with the 21's- even though he's  afellow clubman- i don't think he's ready for that level- he would have to significantly bulk up first plus while he had some outstanding games in the SFC he had a few ordinary ones as well- and i think they might be rushing him a bit.there is no doubting his talent but i'd leave him with the 21's and reviiew it after that.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Josey Whales on December 28, 2006, 01:23:04 PM
You're havingĀ  a laugh aren't you. Lally doesn't play chb for Brigids. If he doesn't play there at club level you cannot realistically play him there at county level. Magee will have to knock off a few stone first- i don't think he has the mobility for Croke Park. Instaed of creating problems for oursleves where in my opinion at centre half back none exist- we should instaed start looking forĀ  afull back. Paddy Christie would be far more invaluable to the cause if he was installed back there to see if he can recapture his old form.
I've listened to all the arguments and I still believe Cullen is the best option for chb. He was hung out to dry last year against Mayo by a management team who gave him a specific role to play that day. As the game transpired- it wasn't the only call by the management team that backfired spectacularly.
I may be biased but the 2nd best centre half back in Dublin bar none is Ger Brennan from St Vincents. He in my view is the only reason why Cullen could be moved out of there-Forget the rest . Lally could cut it at wing -back and in my view is probably his best position but not at centre back-completely different position.

I wouldnt be putting too much faith in anyones form for Brigids
Its my opinion. Its what I'd do if I was picking the team, and what the lad himself fancies. I personally would prefer Lally in the forwards.
If there is another CHB in Dublin I would welcome him. I will ask Noel Doyle for the SP on Brennan.He is straight down the middle in his player assessment.
Cullen will do a decent job for the subs at CHB and has done so, but really imo is not the kind of chb you want or need there.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: DUBSFORSAM1 on December 28, 2006, 05:08:49 PM
Its a tough one about Cullen but think he should probably stay centre-back..

Questions to be answered this season:

1 - Can Vaughan with a full league campaign stand up to be counted as a quality inter-county full forward?
2 - Can Shaghnessy come back and fully challenge for a corner back position?
3 - If Christie isn't good enough to be full back who will play there? Not sure Cahil is the right man.
4 - Can Magee *2 both show good enough form to deserve places and in what positions??
5 - Can Colin Moran take back his position as left wing-back?
6 - Will Brogan junior or someone else come through in the forwards?
7 - Will Lally step up this year and really nail down a place???
8 - Will Miller be able o do a job at all????

Squad available maybe - who can be added to this???

Cluxton

Henry, Griffen, Cahill, Christie, Shaughnessy

Casey, Cullen, Moran, Ryan, Magee, Goggins

Whelan, Ryan, O'Mahony, Magee

Lally, Brogan, Cosgrove, O'Callaghan

Vaughan, Quinn, Sherlock, Bonnar,
I'd say yes to Vaughan and shocko.
Also think Barry Cahill has learned a lot and has impressed me enough in 2006 think he can play any position from 2 - 7 (actually 2 - 9) with 3 being no problem for him.
Dont know miller but the rest are all yes's too - they have the talent. Darren Magee is good enough and Dublin are short in MF.
For that reason I'd play a three man MF too..
Also Lally still has not got a proper chance in a single position.
The lad has played everywhere from 5 - 15. How can you impress when the team is evolving and yer moved around each week.
The lad is a star player and is being completely wasted.
Also do you lads still think Bonner is championship standard ?

Josey Whales

i'd agree about Lally to  apoint - but not completely - he's played a fair bit in the half-forwards- and mixed the very good with the ordinary- his best being against Kerry in the nfl 2 years ago. i think the management missed the boat in 2005 wth him when he probably deserved to start aginst longford in the first round in croke park. "Star player" is a long way premature.
I thought Bonner did alright last year- he's a fair bit to go but ironically played his best game against Mayo. He was a good option as a 3rd fielder around the middle but needs to improve his shotting-i'd certainly keep him in the mix. Shocko will certainly come back- time for vaughan to step up to the plate- maybe lose the dyed hair and silver boots and let his football do the talking.
I think Cahill would be better suited to the wing back role- he's too good to leave out but they need to find a position for him.

Canalman

Would imagine that the half back line will be totally re arranged after their collapse against Mayo.Either Griffin or SOS to move out wing back with imo either Collie Moran or Lally on the other wing.
Jonny Magee will be in with a shot at centre half back or at full back. I feel the Dublin management think the backline needs "toughening up".
Forward line is sound with Mark Vaughan I feel to get an extended run in league. Of the other potential forwards mentioned I was really impressed with B Brogan when I saw him play us in AFL2.How old is he?
Bonnar I think will be a star this season when he really finds his feet and more importantly his confidence this season.

DUBSFORSAM1

Canalman

Not sure that Casey will be dropped from the team as he had a very good year I thought last year and provides a physical dimension also...agree that Bonnar certainly seemed to improve throughout the season also s he got more used to the pace of championship football...

Possible team:
Cluxton
Griffen Christie/Cahill  Henry
Casey/Shocko  Magee  Moran
Whelan  Cullen   Ryan/Magee
Lally  Quinn   Cosgrove
Brogan Vaughan

Canalman

DFS1, not a bad team you picked.

Might have been harsh on PC and I will be the first to acknowledge his committment to the cause. However I feel that our half back line for the last few years has gone AWOL when the tide is turning against us in the Championship and I feel needs a total revamping (I believe Heffo did the same after 1975 AIF). PC may be a casualty as a result.IMO the rest of the team only needs a bit of tweaking.

Was talking to a former Clare hurler recently who reckons that that the Mayo game will harden us up for 2007.He said the heavy defeats Clare shipped in early 90s really stood to them later.
Hope he is right.

Blue Boy

Reckon it's crazy to leave Conal Keaney out of any Dubs team...

There's a young guy at St Vincent's called Eoin Brady (full back), he's a steely but mobile defender that reads the game pretty well and holds his position. I reckon Caffrey will have a look at him over the next while.

Alan Brogan was Dublin's best forward this year and has a dynamism that's pretty unique in the modern game. But his brother - Bernard - is arguably even more talented. How he fares at championship level, if he gets a chance, remains to be seen though.