Pre Season Challenge Matches Thread

Started by Lone Shark, December 07, 2006, 12:29:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lone Shark

Once upon a time I never would have imagined defending Ladbrokes, but amazing how things turn.....

(1)  Every bookie is greedy. All of them. Ladbrokes have decided what's best for themselves with regard to the Premiership, as have Powers, and you are correct in that PP price to less margin. However there will be swings and roundabouts. If you want to back Real Madrid to win the Champions League for a €100, you'll get 12/1 with us and 9/1 with Powers. You're some eejit if you're willing to knock €300 off your payout because of a boycott. I say this as a punter - back best price, whoever you get it with. That's no company line there, just basic sense.

(2) I'm moving back to Ireland for the New Year, and yes, then I'll have all the channels and we will bet in running on every game, including Setanta matches.

(3) You could nickname anyone. If I was to call PP Paddy Scour it would also rhyme. I refer back to first point - every bookie acts to make money, and as much as possible. I will hand it to PP's marketing that they seem to have convinced you otherwise.

(4) Bigpaul, long before I worked for Lads I was a poster here, and anyone will tell you I'm a fanatical Biffo and GAA man first and foremost and as such I don't think I'm unwanted - I'm always open to being told otherwise. There are several people on here who I trust to not try to mislead me, and in return I have facilitated bets to posters many times when they've asked me. Only a few weeks ago I re-opened the All Stars markets for a few guys who didn't get their bets on in time, but because I knew them and knew they'd help me out if it was the other way around, I knew there'd be no cheating so I let them place their bets. The bets (all except one) clicked and I still don't doubt them for a second. Help works both ways.

(5) Jack, as for your post about how PP always have everything you want, I priced up every single county football championship this year once I took over the reins in September, and likewise all Liam McCarthy counties in the hurling. I've done every club game that I've been able to confirm a start time for in that time too. PP have copied me on a few of them, but kept it to the main high profile counties only. We are on a GAA board, so even if you're not interested in these things, most people will be.

I'm trying to improve the GAA service here, and speaking as someone who's a punter, it's badly underserviced. You suggesting a boycott of the only company trying to improve things doesn't help.

And for anyone who still doesn't believe me that I'm willing to take chances to get things off the ground, keep an eye out to see who has the prices up first for the Sigerson and Fitzgibbon when the draws are made on Tuesday. I can also promise you that if I didn't do it, no-one would.

Jack Dempsey

fair play Loneshark, some good pts made there.

bigpaul

I am a lot more confident of your motives now Lone Shark,now that you have been up-front about who you are and who you work for! I saw cases of bookies fishing in the most unlikely areas for information and laying bets that were beaten before they started,refusing bets from people who understood odds and how to get a piece of value and taking enormous bets from people who were obviously compulsive and losers by nature ! I even saw a bookie refuse to give a mother money that her mentally unstable son had lost the previous day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If anyone wants a bet and is prepared to lose OR win I will accommodate them.However,you won't be getting any information from me Lone Shark!

muppet

Bigpaul it has happened even on this site before ( or rather the old old one ).

Whatever happened to Ig? Bordnamonaman any ideas?
MWWSI 2017

Blue06

I think Ig = Lone Shark.

I know in the past Ig facilitated a lot of us here who wanted odds on GAA matches, top scorers etc

Lone Shark

Tis true that there may be similarities between the personae.....  :)

Bigpaul, I understand that my profession mightn't have been the most well behaved in the past, but we certainly wouldn't be out to cheat - just to win. The difference in attitude between the big firms and the smaller, supposedly more "friendly" firms over incidents like the recent Judge snooker match might be a surprise to many. Again, to give PP credit where they're due, much like ourselves, neither firm would want to cheat their way towards making money.

As for information from yourself, that's fair enough. With all due respect though, I don't really know you, so you can understand that if you were to post up saying that QUB had hammered Armagh in a challenge match, I'd be careful of it until I "knew you better" so to speak. No offence, but there are plenty of people who have tried to ramp me before, and I presume there will be again, and I have to be very careful before I can take a poster's word at face value.

youbetterbelieveit

fair dues lone shark, i will try and give you any information on the limerick and munster area.

Lone Shark

Quote from: Lone Shark on December 10, 2006, 04:49:20 PM

And for anyone who still doesn't believe me that I'm willing to take chances to get things off the ground, keep an eye out to see who has the prices up first for the Sigerson and Fitzgibbon when the draws are made on Tuesday. I can also promise you that if I didn't do it, no-one would.

Just in case any of ye were doubting me - check out the threads on the two competitions. I gave PP, Boyles, Cashmans etc a full day, and unsurprisingly nothing. No doubt they'll be up in a day or so now though.

This is why helping me is not necessarily a bad thing!!  :)

Lone Shark

Anybody with anything to add here folks? Right now I don't have nearly enough information to go about pricing up O'Byrne/FBD/McKenna cup matches at the weekend, I'd only be asking for a pasting if I did.

I know challenge matches aren't up to much and can often feature second or third string teams, but even so it can be enough info to make me stick my toe into the water.

So basically if you want prices on these matches, help will be needed - who has info on how teams are shaping up thus far?

never kickt a ball

Have a look at the Mckenna Cup thread shark. The university teams have all announced their squads while some of the counties are struggling to get players. Armagh are training with the U21's to bolster numbers and Tyrone are threatening to "poach" some of the university players. If you ask me its:

Tyrone 1/100
100/1 bar
But then I'm biased.

Lone Shark

I've had a gawk through all the relevant threads all right, and to be fair to ye Ulster heads I probably have enough to make some kind of fist of the McKenna. In saying that, more info is always welcome. My problem is that I can't really do one province and not the others, and for some local derbies like the Louth vs Meath and Laois vs Kildare games, I have no clue which teams are fairly forward for the time of year and which are ankle deep in muck and unlikely to start more than three or four first string players. Hence the cry for help pretty much.

never kickt a ball

Quotegawk
Quoteto be fair to ye Ulster heads

Terrific use of Ulster Scots Shark. Well Done!

magpie seanie

LS - stuck a wee bit on the FBD thread myself there now. Not sure if it will be of any use to you but would be surprised if I'm far wrong nonetheless.

highking

For the FBD, Mayo and JOM has written in this weeks paper that he hasnt given any thought to it yet. Mayo have a few younger lads on Cllege teams, but the panel at the moment is made up of a lot of last years U21s. I can see JOM using a bundle of them in the FBD.