Tipp/Galway rivalry - Laochra Gael

Started by JBM on the 21, June 04, 2010, 07:31:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JBM on the 21

They were a hell of a team - always remember Cooney's performance against Kilkenny in 86 semi in Thurles. plus the first half against Cork in 1990.
Fiull of characters as well - from Cyril Farell , Lynsky , Sylvie to Hopper McGrath.  I would put Eanna Ryan up there with John Fitzgibbon as the consumate goal poachers of that time.  They had a hell of a midfield in Pat Malone and Michael Coleman. To reach 5 all-Irelands in 6 years was some going.
I think their only weak point was the goalie Commins - remember the player pics beofre the 1990 All Ireland on one of the Sunday newspapers - Commins had a that went something like  "I left in 4 goals against them (Cork) in 86, that won't happen today" - he was right - he left in 5!
Did Eanna Ryan retire early due to a bad injury he got in a club game?

Clarin Pearl

Eanna Ryan had the helmet taken off his head with the belt of hurl in a club match against turloughmore. he had a few more years in him.

johnneycool

Quote from: Clarin Pearl on June 07, 2010, 03:24:48 PM
Eanna Ryan had the helmet taken off his head with the belt of hurl in a club match against turloughmore. he had a few more years in him.

Did something not happen Martin Naughton as wel?

Great team in their day but strangley couldn't warm to Conor Hayes at fullback, thought he was too nice and all was great and good if he caught the ball, but he was screwed if the opponent caught the ball as he was a bit slow on the turn.

On the Tipp thing, was there not a rumour about something the lovely John Leahy was supposed to have said to Gerry McInerney about one of his brothers at the start of a game, probably a few years after the Keady affair?
I'm not going to repeat it but the Galway lads will know what I'm talking about if its true.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on June 05, 2010, 03:39:08 PM
TG4 Links to the program here:
http://live.tg4.ie/main.aspx?level=sport&content=104470275073 (Part 1)
http://live.tg4.ie/main.aspx?content=104479782913 (Part 2)

You would have nothing but respect for the treatment the GAA gets from TG4, down through the years they have had some superb programs featuring archive footage and new interviews with the protagonists involved, the national broadcaster is put to shame by their efforts.

Galway and Tipp hurlers hated each other then and still do going by that program.
My fave part of the program was Finnerty describing Sylvie's response to English after Nicky was standing over a 21 yard free in the last minute of the '88 final when 5 points down and asking the ref how much was left, the comeback is an all time classic.

Great footage, would have been at a lot of them games with the aul lad, like most Galway men he couldn't stand the sight of the blue and gold. Sylvie was some boyo alright, Fox was lucky he was decapitated in one of the clips...
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

heffo

Quote from: johnneycool on June 07, 2010, 03:53:48 PM
Quote from: Clarin Pearl on June 07, 2010, 03:24:48 PM

On the Tipp thing, was there not a rumour about something the lovely John Leahy was supposed to have said to Gerry McInerney about one of his brothers at the start of a game, probably a few years after the Keady affair?

http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=14236.0

Ash Smoker

Quote from: longrunsthefox on June 04, 2010, 10:16:35 PM
That one wasn't like John Gough. when they did the Laochra Gael of Tony Keady the programme clearly showed were Denton penalised Galway and let Tipp off with all sorts. I still believe the hierarchy told him to do that because of Galway's anger at the Keady affair. It diminshed Tipp's title that year and it was good they came again in 1991 to show they were worthy All Ireland champions.
I've heard all sorts of conspiracy theories about Denton and that match.
However Tipp were the better team that day.
Galway lost their focus over the Keady Affair.

Bord na Mona man

I'd love to get the video of that 1989 Tipp Galway semi final.
Maybe Denton's refereeing performance gets exaggerated with each passing year?
He refereed the 1990 Leinster Leinster hurling final - which is the biggest occasion in Irish sport. Bigger than the All Ireland final even.

longrunsthefox

It weren't exagerated. I remember it well as the most biased display of cheating I've ever seen from a ref. Some refs are rubbish but this boy blatently cheated.

ormondeboy3

You wouldn't have much of an appetite for reffin' after taking calls about what lads were going to do to your children.

Though I was assured by a wizened ould boy (who seemed to know things...like all South and East Galwaymen know things) in Killimor one evening that that was de Tipp bies again.

And who can forget the doin' that was done to ye in 2001?

There's an amusing thread on premierview called "Things that have happened since Galway won Liam McCarthy", I think it's on page 278!

"Why, man, the grass gone to waste on a hundred yards of the roadside in Tipperary was as much as you'd find in a dozen of our sea-poisoned fields"... sez the bitter Galway man.

seafoid

Quote from: ormondeboy3 on June 18, 2010, 05:53:48 PM

"Why, man, the grass gone to waste on a hundred yards of the roadside in Tipperary was as much as you'd find in a dozen of our sea-poisoned fields"... sez the bitter Galway man.

The fields. I mean there is nothing in County Galway to compare to the urban magnificence that is turles. 
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

ormondeboy3

You've obviously never seen Carrick?

If Leinster doesn't agree with ye, ye could come back to Munster. And we would take ye back to our bosoms in a heartbeat.

Premier Emperor

Galway only have themselves to blame.
Keady getting caught playing illegally was his own fault.
Sylvie and Hopper deserved to get the line that day.

What most people have forgotten was that Tipp were the better team and fully deserved the win.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Premier Emperor on June 25, 2010, 07:08:39 PM

John Denton is that you? ;D

longrunsthefox

Quote from: Premier Emperor on June 25, 2010, 07:08:39 PM

What most people have forgotten was that Tipp were the better team and fully deserved the win.

Most amusing post so far this year  :D