Van Hire question

Started by BennyCake, August 27, 2017, 09:23:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyCake

Need to hire a van for the day. Anyone recommend a hire firm in the Craigavon/Armagh area?  And how much it's likely to cost?

Rois

I hired a van on Friday past til Tuesday and it cost £110 for a Transit-size one. I'm loving driving it!

If it is a Saturday you need it, I found that many places seem to close half day.
That is all Belfast though, might be cheaper and longer hours in Craigavon.

BennyCake

Thanks Rois.

I should have said, I need a small van.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: BennyCake on August 27, 2017, 09:23:27 PM
Need to hire a van for the day. Anyone recommend a hire firm in the Craigavon/Armagh area?  And how much it's likely to cost?
Enterprise or Gilford probably the mains one in the Portydown area.

T Fearon

Thought by the title you were looking to stage a Van Morrison gig!

BennyCake

Quote from: T Fearon on August 27, 2017, 11:00:22 PM
Thought by the title you were looking to stage a Van Morrison gig!

That's for next summer  ;)

Owen Brannigan

Watch out for insurance. The excess on a van insurance is far higher than a car and they check them in detail on return. Video exterior before you take it out. Only other option is to take hirers full insurance package which can double hire costs.

It can be cheaper to get your job done by a "man with a van" as advertised on Gumtree.

illdecide

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on August 28, 2017, 08:45:15 AM
Watch out for insurance. The excess on a van insurance is far higher than a car and they check them in detail on return. Video exterior before you take it out. Only other option is to take hirers full insurance package which can double hire costs.

It can be cheaper to get your job done by a "man with a van" as advertised on Gumtree.

Lol...aye he'll do you a deal alright and you could smoke it ;)

Gilford van hire in Carn Ind Estate will sort you out
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

BennyCake

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on August 28, 2017, 08:45:15 AM

Man and van very expensive.

Enterprise quoting £33 for the day, everything included they say. Or does that sound too good to be true?  Or is that me sorted?

Rois

That sounds reasonable if I got 4 days for £84 from Hertz and you're after a smaller vehicle.

Denn Forever

Enterprise quoting £33 for the day, everything included they say. Or does that sound too good to be true?  Or is that me sorted?

Again, as someone said earlier, take load of pictures to avoid any claims that the van was damaged in your care.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

armaghniac

Enterprise in the 26 counties have been known to have price gouging charges if you cross the border, so double check this aspect of things if your journey takes you that way.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

pbat

Kingdom Hire in Markethill, he has a small family business that doesn't have the big overheads of the multinationals. I have got vans and cars of him a few times in the past and found them easy to deal with.

Rois

Quote from: Denn Forever on August 28, 2017, 12:48:33 PM

Again, as someone said earlier, take load of pictures to avoid any claims that the van was damaged in your care.
The guy in Hertz emailed me photos of existing damage and told me that unless the door was hanging off and there was a hole in the side of the van, they wouldn't be looking too hard.  It was a Hertz outpost on Ravenhill Road.  Dropping off tomorrow, I'll let you know how true his words were. 

Owen Brannigan

Used Enterprise last year and they did their best to find an issue with the van on return, they have a gauge and if a dent or scratch sits outside the gauge you get charged unless you have bought their complete CDW package to cover the excess.

Small firms tend to be less exact because their stock is older and kept for much longer than the main hire companies.