Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gizzy15

Quote from: MoChara on October 28, 2015, 11:14:00 AM
Cork hurling legend tipped for key role alongside potential new Antrim boss

Justin McCarthy will work alongside PJ O'Mullan if he's appointed as new Saffrons supremo.

Justin McCarthy is in line to work with the Antrim hurlers. Justin McCarthy is in line to work with the Antrim hurlers.

A LEADING ANTRIM GAA official has confirmed this morning that Cork hurling legend Justin McCarthy is in line for a role on a potential new management team in the county.

If PJ O'Mullan is successful in his quest to succeed Kevin Ryan as Antrim supremo, he will be enlisting the services of McCarthy as consultant.
McCarthy famously guided Waterford to a breakthrough Munster SHC title win in 2002 and he was also in charge of Limerick for an ill-fated spell in later years.

Source: INPHO
Under McCarthy's guidance, the Shannonsiders suffered a crushing 2009 All-Ireland semi-final defeat against Tipperary before he was faced with a player mutiny in the following season.
But McCarthy is fondly remembered in Cork as a former All-Ireland, Munster and National League medallist.
Over the years, McCarthy has forged close links in Antrim, helping out with club and intercounty teams in coaching capacities.

Antrim PRO Sean Fleming confirmed to The42 this morning that McCarthy's name has been linked with the PJ O'Mullan ticket.
Former Loughgiel Shamrocks manager O'Mullan is the hot tip to step into the role vacated by Waterford native Kevin Ryan.
Candidates will be interviewed by former Allstar CiarĂ¡n Barr and two members of the county board executive, Fleming explained.

PJ O'Mullan is tipped to become the next Antrim senior hurling manager.

"We're hoping to have it done and dusted within ten days," said Fleming.
That will ensure a new man is in place before Antrim begin pre-season training in mid-November.
"Justin's role with PJ would be as a consultant, it wouldn't be a full-time role," Fleming added.
"He wouldn't be up and down at every training session.
"He's definitely linked to PJ," Fleming said.
"To be fair to Justin, he would know a lot of people in Antrim, from club and county level.
"He's always had close links here and is very highly thought of.
"There are others still in the hunt, however, and it would be unfair to say who's favourite or otherwise," Fleming stressed.

http://www.the42.ie/justin-mccarthy-antrim-hurling-2411243-Oct2015/

I would say PJ has not set this up but instead the CB are moulding their own team together and not even waiting for interview process to complete. if it was done properly they would not be able to comment on Justin as his role would only be outlined at Interview by PJ or at least this is how previous appointments were conducted at interview.

culchie11

MR2 why always make things about the referee, u must like ur ego massaged lol only kidding!
the problem lies where there are not enough high profile matches in ulster to develop hurling refs.
one high profile game a year will not develop them unfortunately.

have any/many of you had a read at the "saffron vision"

they want to demolish divisional boards & make all leagues all county, to help county teams & dev squads!
i am all for antrim county teams doing better but surely our clubs wont vote for this as the divisionals boards are essential to antrim gaa.
like him or loathe him but our leagues havent ran as well as long as i can mine since the wee man took control. things have improved vastly.
u21 county hurling seems to be a problem this last lot of years if it was ironed out, would be grand. u dont need a sledge to crack a nut though.

some of the men that have put their name forward under saffron vision, have been there before and couldnt/didnt change it then, why would they now?! i am sceptical as to the reasoning behind this group and have heard different stories, one regarding money/business contracts down the line, but hey i dont know the whole story.

anyone care to give their opinion?!

btdtgtt

Delighted to see some movement and an Antrim vision however:
I'd prefer individuals to run of their own right - rather than as one group.
Connotations of potentially replacing one cartel with another.
Any precedent for this?
Time will allow us to judge.

btdtgtt

I still feel they should have ran alone and on their own merit.
Not sure I know of a precedent.
What does it say to clubs who might vote for some of the old and some of the new?
Take us all or none?
If the old and new grouping are split in the returns how would they work together?
In running as one group their proposed new regime will all be judged together also - that might not suit any of them in the long run.
Yes I'm delighted to see some change - but I'm not sure this is the best way to go about it.

themac_23

Quote from: btdtgtt on October 28, 2015, 04:43:23 PM
Any precedent for this?

Is this 'Antrim Vision' available to view anywhere?

themac_23

Quote from: hardstation on October 28, 2015, 06:37:59 PM
Quote from: themac_23 on October 28, 2015, 06:33:28 PM
Quote from: btdtgtt on October 28, 2015, 04:43:23 PM
Any precedent for this?

Is this 'Antrim Vision' available to view anywhere?

Quote from: theskull1 on October 25, 2015, 11:00:18 PM
I see the wheels are in motion

https://twitter.com/AntrimPost/status/658387689117458433

Change is needed. We all hope a shake up has the positive effect that's needed.
Thanks, interesting enough reading kinda says a lot without saying much really.

btdtgtt

No argument on the last point.

But the group approach will mean any single wrong step will see them all tarnished.

brendanbelfast

have any/many of you had a read at the "saffron vision"

"they want to demolish divisional boards & make all leagues all county, to help county teams & dev squads"

That's not the case and the letter sent to all clubs does not say that.

brendanbelfast

[/quote]
Be prepared for much more of this in the coming weeks. They lay it on in buckets. Although, you should know.
[/quote]

I do know that, but it's a pity.

btdtgtt

Quote from: hardstation on October 28, 2015, 07:47:11 PM
Quote from: btdtgtt on October 28, 2015, 07:41:56 PM
No argument on the last point.

But the group approach will mean any single wrong step will see them all tarnished.
I don't really follow what you mean.

If one bloke becomes position X in a committe and f**ks up - then he's tarnished.

If a whole load of blokes take positions en masse - and X f**ks up - then rightly or wrongly the whole load may well be tarnished.
"Ah sure that whole crowd are a joke then" is at least as likely as "well let's hope the rest of that crowd aren't as bad as that mr X"

Rightly or wrongly - running as a group rather than individuals lends itself to that.

But all said and done - I'm happy for the options and prospects of change.

It will be interesting to see if the current position holders fight for their offices or relinquish them?

btdtgtt

Quote from: hardstation on October 28, 2015, 08:19:11 PM
If one person fcuks up, the whole committee fcuks up. That's the way it should be. Nobody should be doing anything off their own bat. A committee is there to "yay" or "nay" everything.

No argument there - reinforced when they stage a coup to put it one way!

I quite like the idea of "strorming the casement Bastille" :)

Sleeping giant

Quote from: hardstation on October 28, 2015, 10:05:41 PM
Can't believe the Knights of St Columbanus haven't been mentioned yet!!
will you leave that clown be where he is.
1983 & 2012 All Ireland Champions.

culchie11

So it doesn't say the antrim vision will manage all leagues hurling and football of all ages?! To benefit county teams and dev squads?!

How can they do that if divisional boards run underage leagues?!

brendan I wonder why u would go back to the trough again after being there before!?

Say if only half the vision gets voted in, it will be blurred lines for a lot of ppl!

Hardstation will ur club, not the social club now, ur gaa club vote against one of its own in preference of the vision?!

culchie11

My point is as was said earlier u can vote for one of the candidates put forward whether part of vision or not. Only certain clubs will be put in that position.

In my opinion some of vision will be elected and some won't.

Some seem to think it's all or nothing it's not. Ideally the vision want it to be all but gaa democracy doesn't work like that. It's a clever move by terry as they cover 2 of the 3 divisional boards clubs in the vision. Majority rule and all that.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: culchie11 on October 28, 2015, 04:14:11 PM
MR2 why always make things about the referee, u must like ur ego massaged lol only kidding!
the problem lies where there are not enough high profile matches in ulster to develop hurling refs.
one high profile game a year will not develop them unfortunately.

I'm just giving that perspective.... I'm just as easy giving view from player/manager and supporters, plenty here doing that😉

As for ego, watch me ref, I'm the least ego ref you'll find  :o

Agreed and have already said similar to your point on developing referee's...

On another note, when will all this other shit kick off?? Agm soon? Dates?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea