Monaghan v Cork Castleblayney 8/2/2014

Started by babarino, February 02, 2015, 11:08:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

babarino

Both sides line meet after winning their opener.

When did Monaghan last beat Cork? I was at an All Ireland semi final defeat to them back in '88. Saw them relegate us in 'blayney a lock of years ago and we lost to them (narrowly) after conceding a 3 soft goals last time we met. Surely time to get that monkey off the back.

Why are we playing this in Castleblayney? What are the County board thinking of not playing it in Clones?

Do any Cork supporters use GAA Board?

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

Main Street

Quote from: babarino on February 02, 2015, 11:08:54 PM

When did Monaghan last beat Cork? I was at an All Ireland semi final defeat to them back in '88. Saw them relegate us in 'blayney a lock of years ago and we lost to them (narrowly) after conceding a 3 soft goals to them last time we met. Surely time to get that monkey off the back.

Why are we playing this in Castleblayney? What are the County board thinking of not playing it in Clones?

Probably using Blaney for this game is a recognition for the efforts that went into the development of their new 2,000 seater stand and their new prunty pitch.
I think it's okay to use places like Blaney, Scotstown or Inniskeen for these games,  the nfl games do not attract more than these places hold and not any less than if the game was played in Clones.

Farrandeelin

Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Ciarrai_thuaidh

This will be an interesting game given the form of both teams. Cork despite having a manager who appears clueless have a few players on the up and in great nick. They've had superb u21 teams over last 5 years so even despite the difficulties, they could easily turn into AI contenders.
Monaghan have turned into solid citizens in recent years and at home one would expect them to beat most teams, especially in Castleblaney. I'd foresee a narrow home win.
"Better to die on your feet,than live on your knees"...

orangeman

Cork or their supporters don't travel the best. Monaghan to be top of the table next weekend.

seafoid

Quote from: Jinxy on February 02, 2015, 11:12:11 PM
They don't even go to the games.

Maybe there is an opportunity to convert a few Tyrone fans with time on their hands and a long period of introspection ahead into Cork supporters just for bored/board purposes. The only meaningful activity they have at the moment is counting their 3 all irelands.

Bingo

When did Monaghan last beat Cork? I was at an All Ireland semi final defeat to them back in '88. Saw them relegate us in 'blayney a lock of years ago and we lost to them (narrowly) after conceding a 3 soft goals to them last time we met. Surely time to get that monkey off the back.

Do tell me why not?

cluaineois

Quote from: Bingo on February 03, 2015, 09:33:42 AM

Do tell me why not?

wouldn't dare speak for Babarino but our record in Clones is good  don't think we have lost a league game there since 2010. If its not broke why fix it.
once your a clone your never alone

Bingo

Quote from: cluaineois on February 03, 2015, 01:00:13 PM
Quote from: Bingo on February 03, 2015, 09:33:42 AM

Do tell me why not?

wouldn't dare speak for Babarino but our record in Clones is good  don't think we have lost a league game there since 2010. If its not broke why fix it.

Lost the last two competitive games there  ;) And Monaghan are unbeaten in Blayney in 2015  ;D

If a team is relying or even looking at the venue and their record there then they are a mentally weak team. What happens when they play a team at a venue they don't have a good record at? Already a weak mindset. You play the opposition not the venue and likewise for the opponents. The playing surface is also the same size as Clones, so that's not an issue.

Main Street

Quote from: Ciarrai_thuaidh on February 02, 2015, 11:52:42 PM
This will be an interesting game given the form of both teams. Cork despite having a manager who appears clueless have a few players on the up and in great nick. They've had superb u21 teams over last 5 years so even despite the difficulties, they could easily turn into AI contenders.
Monaghan have turned into solid citizens in recent years and at home one would expect them to beat most teams, especially in Castleblaney. I'd foresee a narrow home win.
There's nothing that special about Castelblaney  :) It's there and been there for a while, therefore it is.

Possibly there is about Inniskeen where we "always" beat Tyrone,  and possibly Scotstown (way beyond the navigational skill of any rebel supporter), where Cork scraped a one point win, exactly 5 years ago.

babarino

As has been said, if it ain't broke why fix it?

Don't agree with you Bingo, about the weak mindset line. Small details count and we beat Galway last year in Clones, playing shite. Likewise we had an off day against Armagh, in the Ulster Championship, drew and still could have won.  We've built up a bit of a fortress in Clones, which gets diminished when we chop and change the venue. TV commentators say so, which feeds into the general psyche. Not that we've played in 'blayney much, but I don't have any memories of county victories there.

thebandit

I'm very much in favour of games going to Blayney/Scotstown/Inniskeen, it makes for a good occasion and atmosphere and it's a great boost the host club and community.

A past member of a management team did make a good point to me about Clones however, that making it our base in the league helps it to become a 'fortress' in the championship.

babarino

Quote from: thebandit on February 04, 2015, 05:05:44 PM
I'm very much in favour of games going to Blayney/Scotstown/Inniskeen, it makes for a good occasion and atmosphere and it's a great boost the host club and community.

A past member of a management team did make a good point to me about Clones however, that making it our base in the league helps it to become a 'fortress' in the championship.

Sounds to me like you've made a better argument for Clones than going elsewhere. Your management team past member was right. 

Anyroad we'll not fall out over it (so long as we win), or we'll descend into a north v south, or east - west divide, like what's happened in Tyrone. 

Main Street

Some welcome deferred coverage of this game is scheduled on TG4

GAA Beo13:30  Live coverage of Mayo v Tyrone and deferred coverage of Monaghan v Cork in the 2nd round of the Allianz Football League. Highlights also of...zzzzzzzzz

Monaghan are made favourites for this game, I find it hard to see the reasons for that as Cork have consistently been a better team than Monaghan in the playing life of the current squad.  Maybe the fear of the unknown, the mythical Blaney factor has some currency.