Round 4 Qualfier: Armagh v Meath

Started by armaghniac, July 20, 2014, 03:49:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maddog

Quote from: Harold Disgracey on August 03, 2014, 05:30:58 PM
Taken from the Armagh discussion forum:

Right folks. Please take time to read this as I feel strongly about this.

Its been a long time since I posted a comment on this site, although I regularly link in to read all the various insightful (and some less insightful) contributions about our county players and county team's performances.

I thoroughly enjoyed the game last night and the result and also the Monaghan/Kildare match - I even found myself cheering when Monaghan scored their first goal!

Anyway, most of you will be familiar with the big "Garvaghy Road Orangemen On Tour" banner which the Breen brothers from Portadown have taken to Armagh matches all over the country for the past decade and and half. It has appeared at McKenna Cup matches, N/League matches, and Championship matches. You name the ground - that banner has been there - especially not far away from the goal end-lines where it has been seen on TV on countless times. The lads and their banner have seldom missed a game.

As genuine county fans, they have followed Armagh through the glory years and the lean years.

What many people do not know is that each time before they leave for an Armagh game, they go to St John's cemetery to place the Armagh flag over their brother's grave. He was an ardent Armagh fan who died too young.

That said, I don't know how many of you saw or noticed the incident involving the Breens in Croke Park at Saturday's match. The lads had spread their banner across several rows of empty seats in the old Canal End (now the Davin stand).

Given the ongoing and horrific events in the Middle East, the Breen brothers had added four words to their banner -"We Stand With Gaza" - along with a Palestinian flag.

At half-time, Croke Park officials - not the stewards, but the well-paid men in green jackets - sought to remove the banner. When the Breen's refused, 'the men in green jackets' threatened them with the Gardai.

The Gardai dutifully arrived and threatened them with arrest.

Sitting at the far end of the Cusack Stand, myself and a number of other fans were too far away to help the lads.

Clearly, such a banner was deemed by 'the men in green jackets' as possibly upsetting to some SKY viewers.

After a lot of arguing, the lads reluctantly removed the banner.

However, during the second half, when all "officialdom" had left the area in the belief that the brothers had been cowered, they again spread their banner out once more where it stayed until the final whistle. And at the final whistle, they raised aloft the Palestinian flag.

Next Saturday, Armagh are back in Croke Park - its been a long time since we've been there two weekends in a row!!

The Breen bothers will also be back with their banner.

Yes, I know there are those who say you shouldn't mix sport and politics.

But opening up Croke Park to other games was done for political as well as financial reasons.

Inviting and hosting the British (or as our Celtic cousins in Scotland would say) the English Queen to Croke Park was done for political as well as 'national reconciliation' reasons.

Putting "We Stand With Gaza" on a banner may be political to some, but given the civilian death toll and the hundreds of children slaughtered there, it is also a very basic humanitarian sentiment shared by tens of thousands of ordinary GAA members, players and supporters.

Saturday's 'Irish News' (2/9/14) had an article on page 7 stating that the Michaela Harte Foundation had launched an appeal to help those children suffering in Gaza. Michaela's widower, John McAreavey, was quoted as stating that he had been "horrified by the death and destruction in Gaza".

I have no doubt that, at some time in the near future, John and the Michaela Harte Foundation will most likely seek to promote that cause in Croke Park.

Just like the Breen brothers who have also been horrified by the death and destruction in Gaza.

Hopefully, the Breens will stand with their banner behind the Goals in Hill 16 next week.

All I am asking is that Armagh, Donegal, Dublin and Monaghan fans all stand firmly beside the Breen brothers next week in case 'the men in green jackets' try to stop their banner's message from offending the sensitivities of some SKY viweres.

If we all stand together, 'the men in green jackets' will not be as keen in enforcing their petty censorship.

I remember an Ulster final 2004 I think it was against Donegal in Croke Park. The Garvaghy road Orangemen on tour banner was draped from upper deck of canal end. They were asked to remove it then and they did. Only a bit of craic FFS.

Jinxy

The issue is bringing banners and massive flags into CP per se as opposed to the message on them.
They're not allowed.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Dinny Breen

In the AI semi against Down Kildare fans protesting the Hill 16 fencing had banners removed. It's Croker Policy end of right or wrong.
#newbridgeornowhere

maddog

Quote from: Jinxy on August 03, 2014, 08:30:01 PM
The issue is bringing banners and massive flags into CP per se as opposed to the message on them.
They're not allowed.

Fair enough but it was only draped over the wall in front and not obscuring anything. There was others as big there that day, I was under impression it was because of what was on it. It was the day after my brothers wedding and my view of events might have been somewhat skewed. Anyway could be wrong, and personally think all politics should be kept out of sport but what then is the retort when you get the national anthem being played in the north issue getting thrown into the mix ?

Whishtup

Fair play to the Breen brothers-sometimes these rules are worth breaking. 
   Would this humanitarian statement be seen as inflammatory?-hardly.  The Republic is like a political ostrich these days-afraid to upset anyone in case of financial repercussions.

macdanger2

Its been a long time since I posted a comment on this site, although I regularly link in to read all the various insightful (and some less insightful) contributions about our county players and county team's performances.

I thoroughly enjoyed the game last night and the result and also the Monaghan/Kildare match - I even found myself cheering when Monaghan scored their first goal!

Anyway, most of you will be familiar with the big "Garvaghy Road Orangemen On Tour" banner which the Breen brothers from Portadown have taken to Armagh matches all over the country for the past decade and and half. It has appeared at McKenna Cup matches, N/League matches, and Championship matches. You name the ground - that banner has been there - especially not far away from the goal end-lines where it has been seen on TV on countless times. The lads and their banner have seldom missed a game.

As genuine county fans, they have followed Armagh through the glory years and the lean years.

What many people do not know is that each time before they leave for an Armagh game, they go to St John's cemetery to place the Armagh flag over their brother's grave. He was an ardent Armagh fan who died too young.

That said, I don't know how many of you saw or noticed the incident involving the Breens in Croke Park at Saturday's match. The lads had spread their banner across several rows of empty seats in the old Canal End (now the Davin stand).

Given the ongoing and horrific events in the Middle East, the Breen brothers had added four words to their banner -"We Stand With Gaza" - along with a Palestinian flag.

At half-time, Croke Park officials - not the stewards, but the well-paid men in green jackets - sought to remove the banner. When the Breen's refused, 'the men in green jackets' threatened them with the Gardai.

Sitting at the far end of the Cusack Stand, myself and a number of other fans were too far away to help the lads.

Clearly, such a banner was deemed by 'the men in green jackets' as possibly upsetting to some SKY viewers.

However, during the second half, when all "officialdom" had left the area in the belief that the brothers had been cowered, they again spread their banner out once more where it stayed until the final whistle. And at the final whistle, they raised aloft the Palestinian flag.

Next Saturday, Armagh are back in Croke Park - its been a long time since we've been there two weekends in a row!!

But opening up Croke Park to other games was done for political as well as financial reasons.

Inviting and hosting the British (or as our Celtic cousins in Scotland would say) the English Queen to Croke Park was done for political as well as 'national reconciliation' reasons.

Putting "We Stand With Gaza" on a banner may be political to some, but given the civilian death toll and the hundreds of children slaughtered there, it is also a very basic humanitarian sentiment shared by tens of thousands of ordinary GAA members, players and supporters.

Saturday's 'Irish News' (2/9/14) had an article on page 7 stating that the Michaela Harte Foundation had launched an appeal to help those children suffering in Gaza. Michaela's widower, John McAreavey, was quoted as stating that he had been "horrified by the death and destruction in Gaza".

I have no doubt that, at some time in the near future, John and the Michaela Harte Foundation will most likely seek to promote that cause in Croke Park.

Just like the Breen brothers who have also been horrified by the death and destruction in Gaza.

Hopefully, the Breens will stand with their banner behind the Goals in Hill 16 next week.

All I am asking is that Armagh, Donegal, Dublin and Monaghan fans all stand firmly beside the Breen brothers next week in case 'the men in green jackets' try to stop their banner's message from offending the sensitivities of some SKY viweres.

If we all stand together, 'the men in green jackets' will not be as keen in enforcing their petty censorship.

Fair play to them. I won't be there but I hope the banner is out

Harold Disgracey

From what I understand the order to remove the flag came from Sky representatives.

BennyHarp

Quote from: Harold Disgracey on August 04, 2014, 12:16:38 AM
From what I understand the order to remove the flag came from Sky representatives.

Who told you that? Croke Park have had this policy long before Sky came along.
That was never a square ball!!

Harold Disgracey

From someone who witnessed & videoed the incident. I'm aware of previous incident of stewards trying to get the boys to take down the flag in years over the years. This was different I believe and related to Gaza.

Jinxy

So, in previous years they were also asked to remove it, but this time it was because of Sky and gaza?
If you were any use you'd be playing.

thebandit

Quote from: maddog on August 03, 2014, 07:19:24 PM

I remember an Ulster final 2004 I think it was against Donegal in Croke Park. The Garvaghy road Orangemen on tour banner was draped from upper deck of canal end. They were asked to remove it then and they did. Only a bit of craic FFS.

On a personal note, my sympathies are very firmly with the Palestinian people. I think the Jews are acting the Hitler in this situation.

But I also believe that all politics, be it republican/unionist or anything else, should be kept out of the GAA.

T Fearon

I better not bring my "Garth Brooks on Tour" banner next week then?