Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DennistheMenace

O'Neill fo you have some sort of speed/distance watch (not sure of the technical term) that tells you how fast or how far you have run ?

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: Baile an tuaigh on June 17, 2009, 09:53:53 PM
I'm a regular long distance runner. The problem is, that it has slowed me down from running at speed. Has anyone any idea how to pick up the anti as regards speed or do they not go hand in hand. I really need it for  Hurling. I was thinking cutting out so many miles? Is this the way to go..

start with Speed endurance for a few weeks.
Then full sprints, short sharp work
You should find yourself quicker after that.
PS Dolly in in my early to mid 20's   :P

ONeill

It's an app on the iphone called fitnio (you can see it on fitnio.com).

It tracks your run by gps and whilst running it tells you your distance, speed and time.
When you are finished it uploads the data onto the website and you can see a print out of your route, your split times for each mile, a graph of your average speed and inclines/declines, calories etc.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

DennistheMenace

Good excuse for an iphone then  :D

Sounds like a nifty application.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: ONeill on June 17, 2009, 10:29:09 PM
Wee bit disappointed with the Lisburn 10k tonight. Did it in 56 mins. Was around 25mins for 5k and planned to step it up between 4 and 6 miles. At 4 miles stepped up to 8.5 mph and felt good. Hit the wall at 4.5 miles during a smallish hill climb. Slowed right down and never picked it up again. Also made the mistake at stopping at a water point for a swig. The last 1k was a feckin tragedy. Much work to do yet. Still want to break 50mins by the end of the summer.

Also made the mistake at starting towards the back of the field. It took a mile before you could run at a decent pace due to the amount of feckin grannies. Must've been over 2000 doing it.

You feel slightly better after you've had a drink and in your car when you see hordes still trying to finish it!
You're not far away O'Neill. Do you do any incline work in training? I'm gonna have to pull the finger out as I've a wedding suit to get into in 4 weeks!

Dunno if you replied but I was asking what sort of heart rate monitor you had?

DennistheMenace

www.fitnio.com doesn't seem to work.

Going to try and become competent doing 5k runs in 20-25 3 times a week for next month then build it up to 10k runs.

ONeill

No specific incline work - just really whatever hill I meet. Also, haven't done any interval stuff either. Not training enough really.

It's a boyo I strap around under my chest. It syncs itself up to a watch that comes with it. It simply tells you your heart rate when you run.

It's called a dsx heart rate monitor - http://www.shopwiki.co.uk/Dsx+Heart+Rate+Monitor?sb=1

I stole it out of school when the head of PE was in hospital.

ONeill

Quote from: DennistheMenace on June 17, 2009, 10:47:29 PM
www.fitnio.com doesn't seem to work.

Going to try and become competent doing 5k runs in 20-25 3 times a week for next month then build it up to 10k runs.

Yes, the site seems to be down right now - hope it's not terminal.

http://www.perivision.net/wordpress/?p=464

imtommygunn

Baile an tuaigh do intervals and they'll help you...

If you want to keep the distances up then do pyramid intervals - say for example 3 minutes fast, 2 minutes fast, 1 minute fast with a rest in between. If not just batter out 30 second or closeintervals.

I bought a garmin 405 recently. They're a great job but dear at £200. Got the HRM as well as I'm going to start using it for the long runs.

The squinted eye

I did Nenagh triathlon, didnt find it too bad but I had borrowed a bike for the day so only used exercise bike till then. Had tried to run off the bike effects by doing "brick work"sessions (straight from the bike into run) but it still took me ages to get over the effects of the bike, legs were like lead even though I was feeling pretty good at that stage. I have only swam for about a year now, I got a swimming dvd called Total Immersion - Freestyle about 5 months ago and the swimming has come on in leaps and bounds since I got it. I am not noticably faster but i take way less strokes to get there so I can swim fairly long distances now and not be shagged after. Google it.............I got it on pirate bay, racing Tri Athlone next looking forward to it!

ONeill

The fcukers have me down at 58 on the website. That probably includes waiting for a minute and a half at the start before actually moving.

stevo-08

Quote from: The squinted eye on June 17, 2009, 11:42:53 PM
I did Nenagh triathlon, didnt find it too bad but I had borrowed a bike for the day so only used exercise bike till then. Had tried to run off the bike effects by doing "brick work"sessions (straight from the bike into run) but it still took me ages to get over the effects of the bike, legs were like lead even though I was feeling pretty good at that stage. I have only swam for about a year now, I got a swimming dvd called Total Immersion - Freestyle about 5 months ago and the swimming has come on in leaps and bounds since I got it. I am not noticably faster but i take way less strokes to get there so I can swim fairly long distances now and not be shagged after. Google it.............I got it on pirate bay, racing Tri Athlone next looking forward to it!

I got the very same DVD (well, actually I downloaded it through torrents). Also the tri club in my area had pool swims every friday night, and the instructor had spent weeks in the US perfecting the TI method. He was already a top class swimmer anyway (always first to finish the swim in mulloughmore and rosses point) but reckoned TI improved him big time. So he was trying to teach us this new method. I've definitely improved alot on the swim (as you say it allows you to swim long distances without getting too tired), but it's still my weak point by a long way.

The 5k in mulloughmore is a tough little run - straight from Bike onto a tough uphill for nearly half the route. Downhill then but another slight uphill to finish. Have already done it in 22-23mins but during a triathlon, im sure it'll be a different story, will find out saturday.

theskull1

Quote from: ONeill on June 18, 2009, 12:14:15 AM
The fcukers have me down at 58 on the website. That probably includes waiting for a minute and a half at the start before actually moving.

For a while I though he was a she

The times have now been updated
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

ONeill

Quote from: theskull1 on June 18, 2009, 09:24:44 AM

That's more like it!

gerrykeegan

Quote from: ONeill on June 18, 2009, 01:03:17 PM
Quote from: theskull1 on June 18, 2009, 09:24:44 AM

That's more like it!

what was your time?
2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)