Worst GAA club team in Ulster

Started by general_lee, July 21, 2015, 10:20:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

general_lee

Was having this discussion with a few lads last week after Armagh were bate. Trying in jest to think of a club that would take one of our more portly acquaintances. We reckon in Armagh right now it is probably O'Hanlon's, with honourable mentions for Corrinshego, Mullabrack, phelim bradys and Killeen. The last 3 have all folded. The overall standard of football in Armagh is at best average so we think we might have a contender. I've heard tales of dromintee-esque attire in games in Co Down, though they possibly face stiff competition from Co Antrim?

WeeDonns

I don't think a thread like this will do anything to help them

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Whats the criteria to make this list?

JoG2

Quote from: WeeDonns on July 21, 2015, 10:28:35 AM
I don't think a thread like this will do anything to help them

Absolutely.  I'm sure there's good men and women working tirelessly to keep them going.  Starting a thread to name and point fingers at their current status is fairly low

From the Bunker

Have to agree. I know from the hardship of running a club that the ones who shout loudest about failures are the one who do feck all for the club and always expect others to do the work. Every club is special to it's own community.

general_lee

Not the intention of the thread... Knew I'd get replies like the above. I am not trying to run down any GAA club or their respective community. I should have made the title clearer. Just going for a renford rejects type theme. Some of the clubs I mentioned are actually quite successful in other aspects of the GAA.

manfromdelmonte

Great way to knock a club when they are down

WT4E

winghalfback

pearseog

Think the worst thing here is he's named Corrinshego. A club who have made huge strides in recent years and could be playing Intermediate football in Armagh next year as they are top of Div 3A. They aren't even in bottom Division in Armagh football.

themac_23

Yip General_Lee why not throw the boot into small clubs, the clubs that may not have the catchment area, financial backing or so called 'history' to be a big club. in fact ii will take it a step further, for me the people in these clubs are as big of GAA people than those at the big clubs. Not a slight on any club i am going to mention here but just using it as an example. it is easy to be a Gael in places like Crossmaglen, Dromore, Cargin, Dungiven etc. now lets compare this to a club like Lisburn for example which is a small club in a mostly Unionist town, who have little in terms of money, are constantly losing their best players to bigger clubs and find it a struggle just to put jerseys on their players backs, these are the real heroes of the GAA the people with pride in their own community, a committee who probably do everything from was the kit to cutting the grass to taking teams all this with little or no money in terms of sponsorship, everything coming out of player and member pockets to keep the club ticking over year after year with little or no chance of any real glory. They are the people i really admire in the GAA and when its all stripped back, for me thats what the GAA is about, keeping the pride in the community going, NOT who is 'the worst' team in Ulster, any club who is still standing for me deserve all the credit the get.  I wouldn't have any real issues if the thread was a 'worst senior team' in ulster, but to try and have a go at clubs who for some it is an achievement just putting 15 men on a pitch is disgusting. as you said in your post a number of the clubs you mentioned had to fold, so that in itself tells its own story.

naka

Quote from: From the Bunker on July 21, 2015, 10:47:12 AM
Have to agree. I know from the hardship of running a club that the ones who shout loudest about failures are the one who do feck all for the club and always expect others to do the work. Every club is special to it's own community.
well said
it pisses me off criticism clubs get when real gaa man are working hard to keep it alive

Christmas Lights

The sensitivity of some of the posters on here is pathetic, hes on the wind up.

hairyhog

Augher

Worst people therefore worst club

longballin