Boxing Thread

Started by bennydorano, November 04, 2007, 09:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DennistheMenace

Some world titles are more worthless than a raffle ticket though.

Dunne is a good decent fighter with a lot of heart but he is by no means a great fighter and isn't in the elite at his own weight division.

Fair play to him for getting as far as he did as a WBA title isn't to be sniffed at but his career is on a downhill spiral now after two hefty losses.

WhoAreYaWhoAreYa!

There was a quality fight on the other night. Im not sure of the names or weigh, sorry, im not a big boxing fan really. But the 2 lads went for it right from the off. the fight ended in the 3rd round maybe? There was a class bit in the fight when both boxers were knocked down at the same time! One of you  ore avid fans surely must have seen it?

Archie Mitchell

Quote from: WhoAreYaWhoAreYa! on November 16, 2009, 09:23:21 PM
There was a quality fight on the other night. Im not sure of the names or weigh, sorry, im not a big boxing fan really. But the 2 lads went for it right from the off. the fight ended in the 3rd round maybe? There was a class bit in the fight when both boxers were knocked down at the same time! One of you  ore avid fans surely must have seen it?

Check post before yours.

Hurler on the Bitch

Quote from: DennistheMenace on November 16, 2009, 08:51:16 PM
Some world titles are more worthless than a raffle ticket though.

Dunne is a good decent fighter with a lot of heart but he is by no means a great fighter and isn't in the elite at his own weight division.

Fair play to him for getting as far as he did as a WBA title isn't to be sniffed at but his career is on a downhill spiral now after two hefty losses.

Dunne's biography (Liberties Press) is called 'The Agony and the Ecstasy' and sort of says that he is one of Ireland's elite band to have won a creditable belt, but quit now before he destroys his reputation. Discuss?

gallsman

Quote from: INDIANA on November 16, 2009, 09:45:50 AM
Quote from: Hurler on the Bitch on November 15, 2009, 10:16:58 PM
Quote from: Celt_Man on November 15, 2009, 12:12:00 AM
Quote from: Hurler on the Bitch on November 15, 2009, 12:00:21 AM
Quote from: Celt_Man on November 14, 2009, 10:19:35 PM
Anyone know anything about this frenchie that Lee is fighting soon?  Who is favorite for it?

Just watched it - Andy Lee was 30 secs from a ko and that was of himself - another DUD methinks ..

Gonna have to disagree with you... he would have known the bell was less than 30 seconds away, he grabbed his opponent and brought him to the middle of the ring... like Macklin said he didn't do that against Vera and that shows improvement
bit harsh calling him a dud... thought he boxed very clever apart from that bip in the tenth round, kept the other boy out of reach 90% of the time... would love to know what the punch count would be

Mmmmmh! Still think that Lee is lacking something in the chin department and is a sitting duck. No matter how many punches you throw or how 'good' you look in the ring, if you can't mix it big time with the Mexicans etc, well your rounds are numbered. In truth, he has no punch and is wide open to a fighter that will mix it with him. It's Bernard Dunne all over again.... Bet his next fight is against some European hopeful (probably ranked about 10) who will be the 'acid test' for Lee. Load of balls, just an excuse to pack an arena, get RTE with Dave Boy - Jimmy, I didn't see that punch there - McAuley on board, hyping up a somewhat limited boxer who has, as a pro, failed to live up to his amateur reputation.

You're way off saying Lee is another Dunne. He's better than Dunne, much better but he's low on confidence. And it remains to be seen if he gets it back. and by the way Dunne was still a World Champion. Some people here seem to think World Titles are handed out at raffles or something.

Some of them are. Check out how Lennox Lewis "won" is first heavyweight title, or who the first WBO heavyweight champion was, who happened to be announced in the build up to the unification fight between Tyson and Spinks. Dunne is a reasonably talented fighter who showed great heart to beat Cordoba to win a "world" title. But to imply that the fact that he won a tough, exciting fight against a tough opponent makes him outstanding is stretching the bounds of credibility. I can think of plenty of "world" champions who don't deserve the prefix. Despite the notable achievement of being one of the two best boxers on the planet, Pacquiao has the proud distinction of being the holder of the IBO Light Welterweight title, and the WBO Welterweight title. The belts are a joke, and as mentioned, some of them would be more valuable than raffle tickets.

CiKe

More importantly though Gallsman at junior welterweight and welterweight he beat the men who would be considered "the man" by " the Ring". That is to say that in the absence of PBF, Cotto was the man. Pacquiao is now the man and not PBF. If Pac-Man wins he is GOAT, if Mayweather wins that is not the case.

whiskeysteve

Quote from: CiKe on November 16, 2009, 10:48:33 PM
More importantly though Gallsman at junior welterweight and welterweight he beat the men who would be considered "the man" by " the Ring". That is to say that in the absence of PBF, Cotto was the man. Pacquiao is now the man and not PBF. If Pac-Man wins he is GOAT, if Mayweather wins that is not the case.

I suppose it depends on the hindsight of years after he retires but if pacman rips through floyd hes up there with the best of all time. Right now its hard to compare him to the fighters of more competitive eras. Pacman has never fought anyone of the Hagler, Hearns, Duran, Leonard calibre for example. These 4 are up there with nearly anyone ever and all fought each other (which puts them up there). Nothing manny can do about whose out there now of course but if your talking about greatest of all time you have to ask has he beaten fellow all time greats?

Whilst he has fought superb fighters I dont think any have the same quality of the 4 I mentioned. I wouldn't even include PBF in their league having watched the fights. For one thing all those 4 got involved in WARS Floyd could only dream of. For example, the first round of Hagler-Hearns, holy f**k what a tear up  :o, or all of Leonard-Duran 1 or Leonard-Hagler. Be good to hear what the older posters remember of that era, best ever era in boxing?

But anyway, Pacmans claims to being THE best ever will always be slightly weakened by who he fought, but if he beats Floyd hes up there somewhere IMO
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

WhoAreYaWhoAreYa!

Quote from: Archie Mitchell on November 16, 2009, 09:25:12 PM
Quote from: WhoAreYaWhoAreYa! on November 16, 2009, 09:23:21 PM

Check post before yours.

Aye that was it! i didnt even notice that post! Apologies!

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: whiskeysteve on November 17, 2009, 12:06:34 AM

Whilst he has fought superb fighters I dont think any have the same quality of the 4 I mentioned. I wouldn't even include PBF in their league having watched the fights. For one thing all those 4 got involved in WARS Floyd could only dream of. For example, the first round of Hagler-Hearns, holy f**k what a tear up  :o, or all of Leonard-Duran 1 or Leonard-Hagler. Be good to hear what the older posters remember of that era, best ever era in boxing?

Mayweather did make an interesting point when I saw him interviewed on SSN yesterday. Something along the lines of "there's no glory in getting beaten up during a fight. The object of the sport is to hit your opponent and not get hit yourself. Some fighters forget the second part."

Declan

Managed to see Manny on the repeat last night- Very impressive and as quick as anyone has ever been. Leaves himself a bit open at times but has an incredible dig on him for someone who has come up through the weights. If he fights Mayweather it'll be very interesting as Floyd really hasn't been in a decent fight in years and I'd wonder would he have the stomach for it in the later rounds cos Manny will keep on coming at him and he's as fast if not faster than Pretty Boy. The old adage of a good big un will always beat a good little un would be severely tested.

QuoteBe good to hear what the older posters remember of that era, best ever era in boxing?

Best ever era for middle weights anyway and traditionally that was always viewed as the hardest weight to win at as its at the "average" weight for men so more fighters at that level. Heard a great quote from George Kimball about the hitmans son who is fighting now - he has everything his father had except a chin and a punch!!!

nrico2006

QuoteMore importantly though Gallsman at junior welterweight and welterweight he beat the men who would be considered "the man" by " the Ring". That is to say that in the absence of PBF, Cotto was the man. Pacquiao is now the man and not PBF. If Pac-Man wins he is GOAT, if Mayweather wins that is not the case.

I see not much is mentioned of the losses the great Pac-man has suffered in his career - surely these losses challenge, with 2 of them against pretty much unknown fighters, counter his claims to being the GOAT.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

whiskeysteve

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on November 17, 2009, 01:44:09 AM
Quote from: whiskeysteve on November 17, 2009, 12:06:34 AM

Mayweather did make an interesting point when I saw him interviewed on SSN yesterday. Something along the lines of "there's no glory in getting beaten up during a fight. The object of the sport is to hit your opponent and not get hit yourself. Some fighters forget the second part."

He has a point and if he sticks to his guns, and ducks Pacquaio he will be remembered as a very good fighter but not an all time great. To be an all time great you have to prove yourself against

Every all time great since Joe Louis' 'Bum of the month' has had their wars. Ali-Frazier, Robinson-La Motta, all 4 of the fighters previously mentioned with each other, etc. Its what seperates Ray Leonard from PBF, he had all the skill, speed, slickness but he had the guts, heart and chin for the brawls as well.

All Floyd has done in the later part of his career is duck the hard fights and hard fighters near his weight, fighting men who couldnt dictate the terms of the fight like a limited Hatton or blown up Marquez. He has every right to fight who he wants and in the evasive style he wants but he wont secure the greatness of pacmans legacy if he keeps at it.
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

nrico2006

So how will he be regarded if he beats Pacman?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Declan

QuoteSo how will he be regarded if he beats Pacman?

As one of the all time greats -