Boxing Thread

Started by bennydorano, November 04, 2007, 09:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ludermor

Anyone going to the Odessey on the 15th for the Rogan fight. The 'Western Warrior' Henry Coyle is fighting on the undercard bringing a good gang of mayo supporters to belfast.

AFS

Quote from: Rav67 on April 28, 2009, 07:19:08 PM
Quote from: DownFanatic on April 28, 2009, 01:51:34 PM
I have a fleeting interest in boxing and to be honest I dont really know a hell of a lot about its structures.

Tell me this, how many organisations are there (i.e - WBO, WBC etc) and are some organisations more prestigous than others?

Also, can a boxer hold titles in different organisations?

WBC, WBO, WBA, IBF would be the four respected sanctioning bodies.  IBO is a bit of a mickey-mouse title and you won;t find their title holder on a list of champions usually.  You can hold different belts at once.

Ring magazine in the past few years have had their own 'linear' champion who would generally be the best in the division.  They work it through who the champions would be were there still one belt in each division, by working through the line of champions and who beat them each time.  If the line has broken then to win the Ring title one of its top 3 ranked boxers in the division has to beat the other to become champion.  Ring would be the real definitive champion in each division which has a Ring champion.

It is a bit shit that there are so many world titles.  Great as it was to see Dunne win his belt and everyone saying it was great to have an Irish world champ, the reality is he's not even in the top 5 or 6 in his division.

The 'title' he won was a bit strange too wasn't it? I'm not 100% on these things but he seems to have won a second watered down version of the WBA title, as the original WBA title holder became a 'super champion' by winning another belt. I've read that this is a bit of a scam that the WBA pull, having two champions at once so that they pick up sanctioning fees from two sets of title fights.

CiKe

http://www.boxrec.com/ratings.php?division=Super%20Bantamweight&sex=m

There is one list of rankings anway with Dunne at number seven. You could argue all day about the order. De Leon isn't much of a boxer but packs a hell of a punch - would be surprised if Dunne started favourite against him. Munroe has schooled Martinez on two occasions and would give Dunne a very good fight. Not sure why Rafael Marquez and Israel Vasquez aren't there. Only thing I can think of is possibly inactivity - i've seen Vasquez and also sometimes Marquez in quite a few P4P lists.

Manny wins for me. Hatton is bigger but suspect Pac Man is actually the puncher in this fight. He is almost as fast as Mayweather. Despite some people claiming it was a close fight, Mayweather handed him his ass that night and made Hatton look slow. Whereas Mayweather picks his punches beautifully Pacman will be non stop himself. Wouldn't be surprised if Hatton was stopped late but more likely a UD by 2-4 points.

Rav67

http://www.ringtv.com/ratings/jr_featherweight/

There's the rings ratings at super-bantam, they have Dunne as 8th in his division with Vazquez as the champ.  AFS - you're right, Caballero unified 3 of the titles I think so WBA promoted him to super-champion which allowed Cordoba to win the vacant title, then Dunne beat him.  A complete joke really but it hasn;t been mentioned much as everyone wants to build up rather than knock down what Dunne has achieved.

As for Saturday, I'm confident Pacquiao will outclass Hatton and I have a feeling he'll knock him out.

Katchit

Quote from: ludermor on April 28, 2009, 07:46:40 PM
Anyone going to the Odessey on the 15th for the Rogan fight. The 'Western Warrior' Henry Coyle is fighting on the undercard bringing a good gang of mayo supporters to belfast.

Coyle is a pretty decent boxer from the limited viewing of him, are they expecting a capacity crowd in Belfast for this ?

The GAA

Manny Pacquiao defies pain by sticking to his guns

Ron Lewis, Las Vegas
Behind the engaging smile of Manny Pacquiao is a man of steely courage. Becoming the best boxer in the world was not something that came easily, because Pacquiao had to work his way up from poverty on the streets of the Philippines and there was plenty of pain and struggle on the way. In fact, pain is something he has learnt to put himself through on a regular basis.

Pacquiao uses his training sessions not just as ways of getting fit and working on his skills and strategy — he uses them as opportunities to endure pain. The more pain he endures in training, he reasons, the less he will feel it in the ring against Ricky Hatton here on Saturday night.

One method that Pacquiao uses to toughen up is being hit by martial arts sticks. In Thailand, kick boxers use them to harden their forearms and shins, but Pacquiao uses them on his torso. "It's a Thai method of deadening the nerves to take away pain," Freddie Roach, Pacquiao's trainer, said. "You're supposed to get used to it [the pain]. They are just pieces of wood. I don't hit him because I don't believe in it, but he likes it. One of my guys who learnt it in Thailand does it. It goes on for 20 minutes every other day, on the arms, but mostly the stomach."

As Pacquiao — who won his first world title at flyweight (8st) but who will face Hatton at light-welterweight (10st) — has moved up the weight divisions, he has had to answer more and more questions about whether he can take punches from bigger boxers. He leaves little to chance.

"Manny got knocked out by a body shot once at 112lb [flyweight]," Roach said. "Since that happened, he works so hard on his body, he makes sure that will never happen again. During sparring, he will put himself on the ropes, lift his arms up and say to the guys, 'Go to work', and just let those guys fire off at him. We also do two sets of sit-ups a day, that's over a thousand motions."

The confidence surrounding the 30-year-old Pacquiao remains ominous and that has been reflected in the betting here, where the Filipino has been backed down to odds-on that he will beat Hatton inside the distance.

"I'm a believer that speed kills," Bob Arum, Pacquiao's veteran promoter, said. "I've never seen such a mixture of speed and explosive punching power that Manny has. I think that carries him to victory. The sparring partners he had were top professionals and they couldn't handle them. Manny just beat the s*** out of them. Ricky Hatton says he's fast and he is, but his speed is just on a different level to Pacquiao."

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/more_sport/boxing/article6194088.ece

The GAA

Can't understand him fighting Marquez

Square Ball

any one staying up to watch it?
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

Carmen Stateside

Looking forward to it! cans are in the fridge cooling as i type :)

Pacman in 10!

Tyrone Dreamer

Think Hatton can do it. Manny could well be hit tonight harder than ever before given Hatton's size (De La Hoya never really caught him). Hasnt Manny already been stopped twice before at lower weights?

tyssam5

Quote from: Tyrone Dreamer on May 02, 2009, 09:40:18 PM
Think Hatton can do it. Manny could well be hit tonight harder than ever before given Hatton's size (De La Hoya never really caught him). Hasnt Manny already been stopped twice before at lower weights?

Maybe when he was a lot younger? Think he's been a pro since about 15.

Doogie Browser

Latest odds:
Pacquiao - 1/2
Hatton - 13/8

Carmen Stateside

Quote from: DirtyDozen12 on May 02, 2009, 09:52:08 PM
Quote from: Carmen Stateside on May 02, 2009, 09:32:19 PM
Looking forward to it! cans are in the fridge cooling as i type :)

Pacman in 10!

Alright for you carmen, you dont have to get up at a ridiculous time to watch it, wouldnt be that way if you where in Carrickmore  ;D

Your usually a good man for the streams?  Any links otherwise ill have to pay for it on Sky Box Office (thats HBO to you  ;D)

take a look here around fight time!
http://www.myp2p.eu/broadcast.php?matchid=37803&part=sports

Tommy Tibbs

This is pretty decent as well so far anyway

http://www.justin.tv/vip_pub

whiskeysteve

Quote from: Square Ball on May 02, 2009, 09:02:34 PM
any one staying up to watch it?

Think il try stay up for it, but feeling it already!
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w