Boxing Thread

Started by bennydorano, November 04, 2007, 09:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Uladh

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 21, 2008, 03:08:11 PM
I think the other lad was Pele something, and he was an ex-kick boxer.

Was it pele reid? formerly the great er black hope of british heavyweight boxing?

AZOffaly

That was him. Pele Reid. Mad lad for jumping around, tipping his toes, and a chin like a porcelain jug.

Uladh

Thats the bugger. good boxer but no chin.

I thought hopkins won the fight for what its worth but i can see how you can reason an argument either way. a matter of what style is to your liking

The Iceman

Pele Reid was horrible.  big punch, no technique and those ridiculous shorts
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

DirtyDozen12

Great site lads for watching all the big HBO fights (after thye have happened of course).  Most of them are on too late on a Saturday night for us Sunday footballers  ;)  Instant streaming:

http://www.watchtvsitcoms.com/boxing.php 
Beer, now there's a temporary solution!!!

bridgegael

anyone going to watch kelly pavlik and gary lockette tonight??  i don't know an awful lot about lockette,  but i'd imagine pavlik would be to strong for him.  i see pavlik trainer was slagging off enzo and joe,  clearly tryin to get a potential fight with pavlik and calzaghe started up.

martin rogan will fight hardly harrison on july 12 in o2 arena,  hopefully big marty knocks him out first round!!!
"2009 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

Uladh

Disappointing to hear Mayweather has retired but i think he's retired before?

An absolute legend of a boxer who's up there with the best of all time

Rav67

Pavlik Calzaghe could be a possibility as Pavlik is struggling a bit to make middleweight now apparently so he could step up to super-middle and fight Joe.  He's got a huge following in America too, he's becoming the new biggest draw out there so that should pave the way for a Calzaghe fight as the only reason Joe would want to fight Roy Jones Jr instead would have been for the $, but if Pavlik can put bums on seats and sell the PPV shows then there's no reason to avoid him, well apart from a greater likelihood of Calzaghe not getting to retire with an unblemished record of course.

Rav67

Pretty Boy Floyd has retired before, I really hope we haven't seen the last of him but here's his statement below.  He was meant to fight De la Hoya again in the autumn and I was hoping we'd get to see him square off with Cotto before he went.  Unusual for a boxer to retire with so much still left in the tank.

On June 6, 2008, he offically announced his retirement, saying the following in a statement:

"It is with a heavy heart that I write you this message today. I have decided to permanently retire from boxing. This decision was not an easy one for me to make as boxing is all I have done since I was a child. However, these past few years have been extremely difficult for me to find the desire and joy to continue in the sport. I have said numerous times and after several of my fights over the past two years that I might not fight again. At the same time, I loved competing and winning and also wanted to continue my career for the fans, knowing they were there for me and enjoyed watching me fight. However, after many sleepless nights and intense soul-searching I realized I could no longer base my decision on anything but my own personal happiness, which I no longer could find. So I have finally made up my mind, spoken to my family, particularly my mother, and made my decision. I am sorry I have to leave the sport at this time, knowing I still have my God-given abilities to succeed and future multi-million dollar paydays ahead, including the one right around the corner. But there comes a time when money doesn't matter. I just can't do it anymore. I have found a peace with my decision that I have not felt in a long time. Finally, I want to personally thank all of my fans for their loyalty and dedication as my career comes to a close. I always believed that their enthusiasm and support helped carry me to victory with every fight I ever had. It was a great joy to have fought for all of you. Now I hope you understand my decision and wish me well with the rest of my life."

CiKe

Have been away for a bit but will hopefully be back more often. Haven't seen any of the fights below from last night but a coupld of upsets. Daniel Ponce de Leon who is recognised as one of the hardest punchers in the sport (although zero technique altogether) was chinned in the first by Juan Manuel Lopez. The writers on Secondsout were talking about this as a real war.

Paul Williams also got revenge for losing last time out kncking out Carlos Quintana in the first - pre fight people saw it as a pick em.

Lockett was destroyed in three by Pavlik. NO surprise.

Also James Moore was beaten the other night - another talked about Irish boxer on the up.

Duddy is back a gainst a no hoper at end iof June in Boston, not sure how long he can be fed stiffs as heaint a novice any more. He needs to start stepping things up pretty quickly.

DirtyDozen12

Quote from: Rav67 on June 07, 2008, 04:17:38 PM
Pretty Boy Floyd has retired before, I really hope we haven't seen the last of him but here's his statement below.  He was meant to fight De la Hoya again in the autumn and I was hoping we'd get to see him square off with Cotto before he went.  Unusual for a boxer to retire with so much still left in the tank.

On June 6, 2008, he offically announced his retirement, saying the following in a statement:

"It is with a heavy heart that I write you this message today. I have decided to permanently retire from boxing. This decision was not an easy one for me to make as boxing is all I have done since I was a child. However, these past few years have been extremely difficult for me to find the desire and joy to continue in the sport. I have said numerous times and after several of my fights over the past two years that I might not fight again. At the same time, I loved competing and winning and also wanted to continue my career for the fans, knowing they were there for me and enjoyed watching me fight. However, after many sleepless nights and intense soul-searching I realized I could no longer base my decision on anything but my own personal happiness, which I no longer could find. So I have finally made up my mind, spoken to my family, particularly my mother, and made my decision. I am sorry I have to leave the sport at this time, knowing I still have my God-given abilities to succeed and future multi-million dollar paydays ahead, including the one right around the corner. But there comes a time when money doesn't matter. I just can't do it anymore. I have found a peace with my decision that I have not felt in a long time. Finally, I want to personally thank all of my fans for their loyalty and dedication as my career comes to a close. I always believed that their enthusiasm and support helped carry me to victory with every fight I ever had. It was a great joy to have fought for all of you. Now I hope you understand my decision and wish me well with the rest of my life."

:'( Crap, loved watching mayweather, build ups to fights where always magnificant and really made you want to tune in.  Would loved to have seen him fight Cotto rather than a rematch with Hatton or DLH as if he had beaten Cotto, no one could question him as an undisputed champion and he could have retired knowing he had beat everyone worth beating in the weight divisions he competed in.

Dont know if he would have beat Cotto though......

Uladh

Just noticed this hat on hatton.

jaysus Hughie Morgan is everywhere

Square Ball

from the BBC

Defeated McCullough quits boxing 

Wayne McCullough has announced his retirement
Former world bantamweight champion Wayne McCullough quit on his stool and then announced his retirement after losing a fight in the Cayman Islands.

McCullough was returning to the ring after three years against American Juan Ruiz in a NABF featherweight contest.

Despite being ahead on two of three judges' scorecards after six rounds, he told his corner he could not go on.

The Belfast boxer, 38 next month, took the microphone and revealed this would be his swansong.

He said: "I think this is my last fight and I want to thank you all for coming. I am disappointed with the way things went but I just felt I could not go on."

McCullough had not fought since losing a WBC super bantamweight title fight against Oscar Larios in Las Vegas in 2005.

606: DEBATE
Should McCullough have retired earlier?

His first professional bout was in 1993, seven months after winning an Olympic silver medal in Barcelona.

In July 1995 McCullough, who based himself in Las Vegas, claimed his world championship by beating WBC bantamweight champion Yasuei Yakushiji.

He defended the belt on two occasions against Johnny Bredahl and Jose Luis Bueno.

McCullough relinquished the title because of weight difficulties and then lost on points to the veteran Daniel Zaragoza in a WBC super bantamweight bout in 1997.

The Belfast man went the distance against Naseem Hamed and Erik Morales but was outpointed on both occasions.

McCullough was then sidelined after a British Boxing Board of Control scan found a small cyct in the arachnoid space between the brain and the skull.

After a two-year battle, however, he was back in the ring again and earned earned a bout with WBO featherweight champion Scott Harrison but suffered a punishing defeat.

McCullough later lost two world title bouts against Oscar Larios.

a bit sad that it ended like that
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

bridgegael

in all fairness to wayne,  he should have quit long ago.

how do you think khan will go tonight??  its about time he stepped up his quality of opponent
"2009 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

DirtyDozen12

Anyone see the Khan - Gomez fight last night?  Very exciting stuff, at that pace it was never gonna last 12 rounds!!!  Got to admire the speed and power of Khan but i would question his ability to take a punch.  Gomez on the other hand - i cant believe he survived until the 5th round, man he took some heavy hits!!!