Congress 2016

Started by Line Ball, February 23, 2016, 07:47:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tiempo

Quote from: Rossfan on February 25, 2016, 04:43:09 PM
Very sensible restricting eligibility to prevent burn out.

Do hurlers not suffer burnout?

Rossfan

Hurlers are if course a special type of man and can't be compared to mere football players.
Also Hurley things can only be changed if the President is from Cork or Kilkenny etc. ;)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Main Street

Motion 57 (Carlow)
Why do they bother? Is there nothing else on the minds of Carlow GAA than to come up with some proposal that would further reduce their chances of winning a game.
Carlow is a nice county, I like Carlow....  but

ONeill

Do other sports have that many proposals for change every time?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

DuffleKing

I'm assuming noone has had an input to a club decision on any of the congress motions?

seafoid

I think the mark is a super idea. I don't think the current version of GF is as good as it could be.

LeoMc

Quote from: seafoid on February 26, 2016, 11:12:42 AM
I think the mark is a super idea. I don't think the current version of GF is as good as it could be.
In theory. In practice what you will have is a series of Cluxton clones chipping the ball into the chest of mobile MDMA / Mattie Donnelly types running into space.

westbound

Quote from: LeoMc on February 26, 2016, 12:49:14 PM
In theory. In practice what you will have is a series of Cluxton clones chipping the ball into the chest of mobile MDMA / Mattie Donnelly types running into space.

A mark would only be awarded if the ball has travelled outside the 45m line, so at least it might stop some of the short kick outs that don't even go outside the 13m line!!

AZOffaly

Is the mark only from a kickout? Because a lot/most of the AFL marks are those cheap 15m passes into the chest.

armaghniac

I think the B Championship proposal is already toast.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Rossfan

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 26, 2016, 02:45:48 PM
Is the mark only from a kickout? .
Yes. And outside the 45 and can't have touched the ground after being kicked.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

LeoMc

Quote from: westbound on February 26, 2016, 02:11:03 PM
Quote from: LeoMc on February 26, 2016, 12:49:14 PM

A mark would only be awarded if the ball has travelled outside the 45m line, so at least it might stop some of the short kick outs that don't even go outside the 13m line!!
Cluxton regularly picks our runners outside the 45 in space on the wings from Shane Ryan through to MDMA.
Awarding a mark for this will not encourage contested high fielding.

ONeill

Motion 5 to change inter-county football U21 to U20, and play in June, July, and Aug is PASSED, with 68.6% for
Motion 4, to lower Minor grade age from U18 to U17,  is just PASSED, with 68.2% for. Effective from Jan 1, 2018. Inter-county Minor to U17 in football and hurling. Still U18 for clubs.

ONeill

From Louthgaa.ie

Motion 1: The first motion relates to the All-Ireland Senior Hurling Championship and it essentially seeks to retain the structure used for the championship from 2014-2016 for future years. The current structure, which includes a Leinster 'round robin' qualifying group, was introduced at Congress 2013 for a three-year period and this motion seeks to retain that structure. PASSED

Motion 2: This motion, if passed, paves the way for an All-Ireland 'B' Championship in football to be introduced. The 'B' Championship, which would take place after the completion of the provincial championships, which would take place as normal, would comprise of the eight teams that would make up Division IV of the following year's league. In the event of one of those teams reaching their provincial final, the lowest placed team that was not relegated in that season's Division III would enter the 'B' Championship, with the provincial finalist from next year's Division IV taking part in the main All-Ireland Senior Championship. WITHDRAWN

Motion 3: Only applicable if Motion 2 is passed. Would allow for matches in the 'B' Championship to be 70 minutes long.

Motion 4: Proposes that the minor grade, at inter-county level only, become U17 and no longer U18. It proposes that all minor players at inter-county level be aged between 15 and 17 and at club level, between 14 and 18. To be effective from January 1, 2018. PASSED

Motion 5: Proposes the abolition of the U21 grade at inter-county football level, to be replaced with an U20 grade, with players eligible to be aged between 18 and 20. It proposes no such change to the U21 grade for hurling, or at club level, in either code.

The motion includes some supplementary information on the U20 championship, in the event of the motion being passed. The competition is proposed to take place between June and August, with no replays. Drawn games will be decided by extra-time, and, in the event of that not providing a winner, by "the outcome of a sudden-death free-taking competition, the details of which shall be determined by the Central Council." The motion also proposes that any player on a team list submitted to an inter-county referee for a senior inter-county championship match in that season will not be eligible to compete in the U20 competition. The U21 grade in hurling, and at club level in both codes, will be entirely unaffected by this motion. PASSED

Motion 6: This motion proposes the following: "Players who are not included in an Inter-County Senior Panel of 26 players, shall be available to their Clubs on the weekends of National League and Senior Championship games." In the event of this rule not being implemented by counties, the penalty is as follows: "A County shall forfeit Home Venue for its next 'Home Game' in the respective National League." PASSED

Motion 56 (Roscommon): This motion from Roscommon proposes an alternative structure to the All-Ireland Football Championship, distinct to the the one proposed in Motion 2. In the event that Motion 2 is passed, all other motions with separate proposals for the All-Ireland Football Championship structure will become invalid.

The Roscommon motion proposes that, after the provincial championships are finished (by the first weekend of July, the proposal states), the competition will divide into two separate competitions, the Tier 1 competition and a Tier 2 competition. In Year 1 of the new proposal, Tier 1 (Sam Maguire) will feature the eight provincial finalists and the eight highest ranked teams in that year's Allianz Football League (not including provincial finalists where there is a crossover). From year 2 on, the winner of the previous year's Tier 2 competition will also be included in the Tier 1 competition, along with the seven highest ranked national league sides.

The format of the Tier 2 competition is proposed to feature the remaining 16 teams not eligible to compete or the Tier 1 competition. DEFEATED

Motion 57 (Carlow): This motion from Carlow also proposes an alternative structure to the Football Championship. This motion proposes that the provincial championships take place as normal, but then, that the All-Ireland series takes on a new seeded format based on the previous year's provincial championships.

The motion proposes four sets of seeds based on the previous year's provincial championship performances. The bottom two pots of seeds will be determined by that year's National Football League results. The All-Ireland series would then take place with Pot 3 and 4 seeds playing in Round 1, before meeting Pot 2 teams in Round 2 before the winners eventually face Pot 1 teams in Round 3. The remaining eight teams after those three rounds would advance to an open draw All-Ireland quarter-final stage. DEFEATED

2015 Finances

In Brief: Key Figures

Drop of €0.5m in revenues to €56m
Gate receipts down by €2.7m
Central Council championship attendances drop by 40,000
Commercial revenues increased by €2m
Distributions to units similar to 2014 at €12.5m
Games development increased by €1m to €10m
Net result is break-even

Cunny Funt

Quote from: ONeill on February 26, 2016, 10:22:43 PM
Motion 5 to change inter-county football U21 to U20, and play in June, July, and Aug is PASSED, with 68.6% for
Motion 4, to lower Minor grade age from U18 to U17,  is just PASSED, with 68.2% for. Effective from Jan 1, 2018. Inter-county Minor to U17 in football and hurling. Still U18 for clubs.
I think they should have kept the U21 football championship. Passed by 68.6% would suggest massive effort was put in to get rid of it.