Hatchet Men In Soccer

Started by ONeill, December 11, 2015, 10:57:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

michaelg

Norman Whiteside, Steve McMahon, Peter Reid, Peter Nicholas - All fairly hard back in the day.

michaelg

Terry Hurlock, also bit of a hallion.

5 Sams

in fairness lads they were all puffs (excuse the 70s derogatory reference to effeminate people) compared to Mick Lyons, Brian Mullins, Páidí Sé, Ciaran Duff, McGilligan, Blaney....not to mention the Grimleys.
The Aristocrat Years

armaghniac

Quote from: 5 Sams on December 12, 2015, 01:30:29 AM
in fairness lads they were all puffs (excuse the 70s derogatory reference to effeminate people) compared to Mick Lyons, Brian Mullins, Páidí Sé, Ciaran Duff, McGilligan, Blaney....not to mention the Grimleys.

Kevin Moran bridged the gap.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Gaffer

Vinnie Jones and John Fashnau!
"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

T Fearon

Graham Roberts,Spurs.Once saw him literally have a running battle with two Mc Creery brothers,from a notorious East Belfast family,during a so called friendly against Glentoran.

Also big Dermot Keeley, of Dundalk and Shamrock Rovers,took no prisoners.Famous up North,during his Glentoran days,after an Irish Cup final which they'd won against Linfield,for ringing every Linfield supporters club he could get a number for,and asking in a broad Dublin accent, "Who won the Cup?"

imtommygunn

Catamole / caramarole??

Dirty hallion.

Newbridge Exile

Never saw him play but Billy Whitehurst had quite the reputation, (Martin Keown in a newspaper article earlier in the year said  playing against Fashanu was easy in comparison)

Aaron Boone

That Jamie Vardy at Fleetwood Town was a bit of a nut. That was his level.

GaillimhIarthair

Quote from: J70 on December 11, 2015, 11:33:40 PM
Norman Hunter was notorious.

I remember  a lad called Mark Dennis back in the 80s. Southampton and QPR if I remember  correctly
Mark Dennis is a great call, remember him at Southampton alright during the 80's, he was one hard bastard for sure.

J70

Quote from: GaillimhIarthair on December 12, 2015, 01:17:03 PM
Quote from: J70 on December 11, 2015, 11:33:40 PM
Norman Hunter was notorious.

I remember  a lad called Mark Dennis back in the 80s. Southampton and QPR if I remember  correctly
Mark Dennis is a great call, remember him at Southampton alright during the 80's, he was one hard b**tard for sure.

Used to get the line two or three times a season for ridiculous tackles!

Gaffer

Quote from: T Fearon on December 12, 2015, 06:21:58 AM
Graham Roberts,Spurs.Once saw him literally have a running battle with two Mc Creery brothers,from a notorious East Belfast family,during a so called friendly against Glentoran.

Also big Dermot Keeley, of Dundalk and Shamrock Rovers,took no prisoners.Famous up North,during his Glentoran days,after an Irish Cup final which they'd won against Linfield,for ringing every Linfield supporters club he could get a number for,and asking in a broad Dublin accent, "Who won the Cup?"

Dave McCreery from a notorious East Belfast family? What's the story there?
"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

Tony Baloney

Stevie McMahon was the name that sprang to mind when I saw the title.

seafoid

Quote from: 5 Sams on December 12, 2015, 01:30:29 AM
In primary school in the early 80s we were indoctrinated by a passionate Galway hurling man who told us, after one episode of Superstars, that the reason the GAA players could do more chin ups than the likes of Mark Lawrenson was because they were REAL MEN with well developed biceps.