'GAA Athletes for a No Vote'

Started by Jinxy, April 21, 2018, 08:17:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Itchy

Quote from: Syferus on April 22, 2018, 08:05:55 PM
Quote from: Itchy on April 22, 2018, 06:40:45 PM
No vote is going to win this election. They look much better organised on the ground. Every where I go I see no posters, nothing from the yes side or the major parties.

The people who will vote Yes don't get their news from papers or direction from political parties. The Yes side is by and large younger and far more tech savvy so trying to judge it on posters is ludicrous. There's a massive campaign to crowdfund tickets for exiles to return to vote Yes. The Yes side have been mobilised for this moment for at least a decade at this stage. It will not be a contest.

And when you make a stupid prediction you can be sure it will be wrong as usual

Syferus

Quote from: Itchy on April 22, 2018, 08:29:20 PM
No vote is going to win this election. They look much better organised on the ground. Every where I go I see no posters, nothing from the yes side or the major parties.

The people who will vote Yes don't get their news from papers or direction from political parties. The Yes side is by and large younger and far more tech savvy so trying to judge it on posters is ludicrous. There's a massive campaign to crowdfund tickets for exiles to return to vote Yes. The Yes side have been mobilised for this moment for at least a decade at this stage. It will not be a contest.

Aren't you the fella who thought the evil Brits were setting up the Russians on the nerve agent assassination?

:-[

southtyronegael

will be interesting to see if the tyrone county board will issue a statement distancing themselves from hartes disgraceful pr stunt in dublin. he should be banned for bringing the gaa into disrespute.

southtyronegael

Quote from: hardstation on April 22, 2018, 09:12:53 PM
How have they brought the association into disrepute?
well i thought the gaa wasnt supposed to get involved in politics and such so for harte and co to try and use the name of the gaa to influence the outcome of a referendum is disgraceful.

southtyronegael

well if the gaa has a rule that the organisation cannot be used for political purposed then they obviously have broken that rule.

Jinxy

The name of the group plus the fact that they ran a coaching session for the kids at the launch are both pretty cynical stunts as far as I'm concerned, but I don't think they have breached any rules.
If sufficient people think the GAA are officially behind this, then you could probably make the 'disrepute' case but thus far it seems to me that most people know this is a solo run by Mickey & Co.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Orchard park

I dont think yes Is as engaged as the gay marriage campaign was by a long shot

longballin

I have a feeling there is a huge silent No vote waiting to go to the booths on election day

Syferus

Quote from: Orchard park on April 22, 2018, 10:08:12 PM

I dont think yes Is as engaged as the gay marriage campaign was by a long shot

They are waaaay more engaged. There have been regular big rallies to repeal the 8th for years now. They have been mobilised for this moment for a very long time.

This is a much more heated debate than gay marriage - this one directly effects 50% of the population and indirectly effects the other half, so you can expect overall turnout to be up and that's very bad news for the No side.

Lar Naparka

I think it should be remembered that when the votes are cast and the controversy dies down, there will be little if any change to the current state of affairs.
Women who want abortions can still travel openly to Britain or any other country where abortion is legal or else abortion pills may be ordered by post.
We will still have an Irish solution to an Irish problem as Charlie Haughey might put it.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Itchy

Quote from: Syferus on April 22, 2018, 09:01:42 PM
Quote from: Itchy on April 22, 2018, 08:29:20 PM

Aren't you the fella who thought the evil Brits were setting up the Russians on the nerve agent assassination?

:-[

No clown. I said just cos the Brita say something doesn't make it true. Check out Robert fisks article on chemical attack on Syria as another example. Some people are too stupid or have memory of a gold fish to think straight

Westside

Quote from: Lar Naparka on April 22, 2018, 10:32:19 PM
I think it should be remembered that when the votes are cast and the controversy dies down, there will be little if any change to the current state of affairs.
Women who want abortions can still travel openly to Britain or any other country where abortion is legal or else abortion pills may be ordered by post.
We will still have an Irish solution to an Irish problem as Charlie Haughey might put it.

This is not a solution, women taking dodgy pills without medical supervision, women getting procedures with no aftercare. Women not being in a position to travel and essentially being forced to continue with an unwanted pregnancy.

This is not an Irish solution to an Irish problem. That's a damaging phrase that suggests that the current status quo is any sort of 'solution'.

Mickey Harte seems to have more compassion for lads accused of sexual assault and murder than he does for vulnerable young women.

He's a dinosaur, needs to take his hard line catholic shite and get it away from anything related to the GAA.

southtyronegael

Syferus

Quote from: Westside on April 22, 2018, 11:15:48 PM

This is not a solution, women taking dodgy pills without medical supervision, women getting procedures with no aftercare. Women not being in a position to travel and essentially being forced to continue with an unwanted pregnancy.

This is not an Irish solution to an Irish problem. That's a damaging phrase that suggests that the current status quo is any sort of 'solution'.

Mickey Harte seems to have more compassion for lads accused of sexual assault and murder than he does for vulnerable young women.

He's a dinosaur, needs to take his hard line catholic shite and get it away from anything related to the GAA.

+10000

Lar, you've shown yourself up big time again.

Jinxy

Quote from: Westside on April 22, 2018, 11:15:48 PM

I think you may have taken Lar up the wrong way.
If you were any use you'd be playing.