We're going to bring home the SAM

LooseCannon

Quote from: Rossfan on January 04, 2018, 09:37:32 PM
Quote from: LooseCannon on January 04, 2018, 12:43:23 AM
Quote from: Jinxy on January 04, 2018, 12:39:36 AM
World's greatest division.
Nah, I think that's Arles in Leix
Leix/Laois is hardly in this world :o

Some would argue the same for Roscommon.
I hear that there's no such thing as H2O there. ;D ;D

Kurtz

Quote from: Itchy on January 02, 2018, 04:06:34 PM
Quote from: Blowitupref on January 02, 2018, 03:41:51 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on January 02, 2018, 03:23:07 PM
Meath population 195,044 in 2016 Census (3 time Ros or Monaghan)
Now very much an Intermediate team.
Where did it all go wrong lads and lassies?
80s and 90s they had a good batch of footballers and they were managed by a very wise head in Sean Boylan. Since Sean left things turned south, the quality of players no longer there and only recently they started improving things at county underage and club level.

I'd say it is not so easy to harness the commuter belt people that work in the city and moved out. That would be a big part of the current population. I am sure the competition from other sports is also much higher than it used to be. Still there does appear to have been an element in Meath football that didn't want to move with the times convinced that the Meath way could still overcome. Cavan thought the same leaving the 60s and crashed through the floor and are really struggling to be relevant again. Its a slippery slope to climb back up once you go down.

Everyone I know in Meath plays Rugby
Yet their parents would have all played GAA

tippabu

We were due to play UCD in a challenge last night but was called off due to the bad weather, only had two very easy games this year that i know of, would have rathered a stiffer test and UCD game wouldve been ideal game before heading into the league.

giveballaghback

Well here we go, league starting this weekend, here is my predictions for div 2
Rossies to beat the royals
Cavan to beat Clare
Cork to beat Tipp
Down to beat Louth.

Jinxy

Has next week's game been switched to Kiltoom yet?
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Rossfan

Them days are gone thank God ;)
Syfīn still in mourning though.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Itchy

Quote from: giveballaghback on January 21, 2018, 08:36:24 PM
Well here we go, league starting this weekend, here is my predictions for div 2
Rossies to beat the royals
Cavan to beat Clare
Cork to beat Tipp
Down to beat Louth.

Agree with all that expect Clare will likely best Cavan.

tippabu

looking at it i think we are the value bet of the round, theres been a kick of the ball in it between ourselves and cork the last 4 years, they are missing loads through retirements, club and retirements. we are a summer team usually and dont perform in the league but 2/1 is very good

OgraAnDun

Clare v Cavan
Cork v Tipp
Louth v Down
Roscommon v Meath

twohands!!!

Quote from: tippabu on January 22, 2018, 12:09:19 AM
looking at it i think we are the value bet of the round, theres been a kick of the ball in it between ourselves and cork the last 4 years, they are missing loads through retirements, club and retirements. we are a summer team usually and dont perform in the league but 2/1 is very good

I wouldn't be surprised to see Cork struggling a lot in terms of defence - O'Halloran in goals (who was only middling enough has retired and there looks to be no obvious natural successor) Cadogan has jumped ship to the hurlers, Shields has retired , Stephen Cronin is missing with Nemo. They conceded 3-12 to Clare in their last game ; 1-9 (1-7 from play)of it to the Clare full-forward line

Just looked at their back 7 for the MCGrath Cup

1. Mark White (Clonakilty)
2. Sam Ryan (St Finbarr's)
3. Conor Dorman (Bishopstown)
4. Michael McSweeney (Newcestown)
5. Padraig Clancy (Fermoy)
6. Kevin Flahive (Douglas)
7. Cian Kiely (Ballincollig)

It wasn't as if there were a huge pile of options on the bench either - the only one of the 7 subbed was
Ian Maguire (St Finbarr's) for Dorman (53)

I would have said Dorman was more of a natural wing-back and Maguire is a midfielder so I'm not sure what was going on there.

Overall though that looks like a very unsettled/experimental defence and while it was only a one-off game, it's not as if there is much in the way of options in terms of fixing it up.

If Quinlivan and Sweeney are available and they get any sort of reasonable share of ball I could see them getting a lot of joy from that defence.

Even though I'm not a fan of betting on the first round of league games in general I think I might have a minor nibble.

Cunny Funt

Shields retired is a bonus to Cork. He was total liability the last few years of his career.  Where are defenders J Loughrey, J O'Sullivan,T Clancy that started against Mayo last summer?

Horse Box

Cavan
Tipp
Down
Roscommon

Tipp have been going really well Preseason . Steven O`Brien in Midfield will supply the Forwards with plenty of ball . 7/4 is a serious price with PP ! ! !

oliverkelly

Who did they play in Preseason?

Farrandeelin

I will be shocked if Roscommon don't get promoted again. There's no distractions, such as managerial upheaval like last year and I reckon Ros can afford to go for it as it probably will be mid June when they face stiff opposition afterwards.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.