All Ireland Football Final 2017 Mayo V Dublin

Started by never kickt a ball, August 27, 2017, 07:24:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orchard park

excellent almost always, the day in Tuam was only day i ever saw him roasted but by God he came back in style that year.... a tough hard man in the best sense of the word, when Tom Mannion hit you you knew about it and to his credit there was always a ball present. a model back

westbound

Quote from: Lar Naparka on September 29, 2017, 10:16:41 AM
Quote from: westbound on September 28, 2017, 10:31:16 PM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on September 28, 2017, 10:17:07 PM
Quote from: Hound on September 28, 2017, 07:08:00 PM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on September 27, 2017, 05:42:10 PM
I've no doubt that if it was Cillian O'Connor who was taking that free, Jonny or Philly would do what Leeroy did, if they got the chance and I could see all the Mayo forwards manhandling the Dublin backs also.
Utter nonsense.
O'Connor had a very late free to go ahead and Philly and Jonny did no such thing.
Rock's free wasn't the last kick. Still time for equalizer.
Defending what Keegan did is beyond me. It was pure stupid. The most likely outcome was the free being moved in to an unmissable position if the kick had been missed (regardless of whether the GPS caused the miss).
As for a ban, I think he should be punished to show what he did was unacceptable. But a 1 match ban would be sufficient.

Quoting players talking shite about the late black card etc is totally irrelvant. The fact of the matter was, the ref punished Dublin and allowed a retake and added time on. Clarke had an opportunity to take a kick out when Mayo had an extra man. All he needed was a smidgen of composure.
Something tells me you didn't quite get what I was saying! You got it arseways, my good man. If Cillian had taken the free and it had gone over, I'm sure the Mayo attack would have done the same thing  as the Dub forwards.
It's bullshit to single out Keegan for what was an impulsive gesture when the collecive action of the Dubs in slowing down Clarke's kickout was far more cynical.  And I am not too upset about this as it was a cynical, filthy game from beginning to end, with neither side smelling of roses. Asking Clarke to have composure with all that was happening around him and half his backs on their arses is a bit much.
There now, you got that?  ;D

How impulsive is it to consider what can I do to put the freetaker off, to open the gps pack, to hold the unit in my hand until the kicker is almost ready to strike and then throw it at the ball/him?
Enough time to consider ones actions I would have thought? Not saying I wouldn't have done the same/similar in the same situation but lets call it for what it was.
You cannot be serious, right? ;D ;D
Did Leeroy intendto do this before the start of the game or even at any time until the free was awarded and Rock stepped up to take it? How the hell could he; he may be the best player around but he can't foretell the future.
I dunno how long it takes to slip a gps out of its pouch but my guess that it only takes seconds. Watching yet another All Ireland slipping away on him , would put any man under pressure.
Now, I've no problem with what h did being illegal but spare me the crap that he flung his unit at Rock/ and that this act was the lowest any one , including Charlie Redmond of all people, had seen.
What happened next was far, far worse and I don't thnk I saw the likes in a long, long time.
Nothing about the concerted decision by the Dub forwards to attack and hassle the Mayo forwards after fecking Clarke's tees way.
All I'masking that there should be a bit of balance here. And don't put the blame on Clarke'spoor kickout either./ Given what was happening out in front of him, he was some man to manage to kick the ball at all.
Don't forget that the normally ice cool Clucko made a donkey's collar oof of his kickouts in the first half when Mayo were winning most of them and he was under far less pressure that Clarke was at that time.
Sauce for the goose, sauce for the gander and all that..

(And if you really want to know, I never saw any thing as low as what the Dubs' did to deny Mayo possession of the kick-out for a lot more than 25 years. I'd go back to the second test in South Africa in 1974. The Dubs Springboks were filthy hoors all through the tour and the Lions captain, Willie John McBride, got pissed off.
So going into the second test, he told his colleagues that whenever he shouted out "99," they were to turn on the nearest Springbok and flatten him, kick bite, loaf him, any thing that came to mind. Willie John knew the ref couldn't put them all off and is plan worked.'
Now if the Mayo forwards had met fire with fire and gave as good as they got, the result could have been very different. At the very least it couldn't be any worse. ;D)

I'm not arguing with 99.99% of your post, but I just want to point out that I never said it was the lowest act I've ever seen.

I was only taking issue with your interpretation of impulsive.

Anyway, I was in cranky mood last night when I posted that, so if someone looked at me sideways I've have argued with them!!

Although, I would say that Vaughan's discretion was more impulsive than Keegan's. Keegan's was more calculated.

Anyway, aside from the specifics of the incidents, the entire spectacle of gaelic football is being ruined by cycnical/win at all costs indiscretions. But I don't blame the management or players for this. These indiscretions are facilitated by the gaa because the punishment for them is not a sufficient deterrent.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: GaillimhIarthair on September 29, 2017, 11:42:09 AM
Quote from: Orchard park on September 29, 2017, 10:09:22 AM
one that was created by accident with Tom Mannion getting another hole opened at corner back in Tuam Vs Roscommon, was brought out to centre half in the qualifiers and rest is history.

one of the most underrated footballers outside of Galway
Very true Orchard.  He was excellent though at corner back on Martin Lynch in the '98 final - totally dominated him.  Himself and Ja were huge losses by the time we got to Sept football in 2000.

Plus Kevin Walsh not fully fit, Galway were a better team during that period and its shame that Galway were nowhere near full strength during the final and the replay. I often wonder whether if they'd won it in 2000 if they'd have back the next year to beat Meath.

Hound

Quote from: From the Bunker on September 28, 2017, 08:10:08 PM
You have to congratulate Dublin on the way they just went into complete anarchy for the final Clarke kick out. There was no way Joe McQuillan was going to be able to deal with so many incidences and he was never going to Black more than one Dublin player with them playing on their home ground. The yellow card was a token jesture and as effective as a ashtray on a motorbike. In fairness, bar giving a free for two Dublin players running into to each other (I can now laugh at this given the healing powers of time) and bottling giving Lee Keegan a definite penalty. He did as well as a Referee with his limitations could do. He even give Mayo 2 minutes to run around the Dublin players playing piggy in the middle which helped a bit more in covering his ass as before the final whistle.

The shock and disgust on here about players involved in win at all costs amuses me. What games have you watched all your lives?

You have to congratulate the Mayo supporters on how they've convinced themselves that the penultimate Clarke kickout was the final Clarke kickout. It's hillarious!

Very similar to how they convinced themselves that the only reason Keegan pulled down Connolly last year was because of Charlie Redmond and Paul Curran!

You should really re-watch the video. You'll love it. Apart from the bit where, for the FINAL kickout, Clarke missed the Mayo extra man, and kicked the ball straight over the sideline. 

From the Bunker

Quote from: Hound on September 29, 2017, 09:23:22 PM
You have to congratulate Dublin on the way they just went into complete anarchy for the final Clarke kick out. There was no way Joe McQuillan was going to be able to deal with so many incidences and he was never going to Black more than one Dublin player with them playing on their home ground. The yellow card was a token jesture and as effective as a ashtray on a motorbike. In fairness, bar giving a free for two Dublin players running into to each other (I can now laugh at this given the healing powers of time) and bottling giving Lee Keegan a definite penalty. He did as well as a Referee with his limitations could do. He even give Mayo 2 minutes to run around the Dublin players playing piggy in the middle which helped a bit more in covering his ass as before the final whistle.

The shock and disgust on here about players involved in win at all costs amuses me. What games have you watched all your lives?

You have to congratulate the Mayo supporters on how they've convinced themselves that the penultimate Clarke kickout was the final Clarke kickout. It's hillarious!

Very similar to how they convinced themselves that the only reason Keegan pulled down Connolly last year was because of Charlie Redmond and Paul Curran!

You should really re-watch the video. You'll love it. Apart from the bit where, for the FINAL kickout, Clarke missed the Mayo extra man, and kicked the ball straight over the sideline.

Of course it was not Clarkes last kick out. My apologies! Hope you have a nice evening!

dublin7

My favourite part is watching the last few minutes on you tube with the mid west radio commentary. Green entertainment and I highly recommend it

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Hound on September 29, 2017, 09:23:22 PM

I accept your felicitations in the spirit in which they were offered so sucks to you also! ;D
In actual play, neither Clarke nor anybody else involved, probably including Joe Mac, knew how much time was left. Without the benefit of a watch or the composure to look at it, he knew there was little or no time left.
Same applies to the Dublin forwards, who were even less inclined to play by the rules than Keegan was. The last kick out was even more pressurised  and the fact that he misdirected it when he knew he couldn't find a back who wouldn't be dragged down again didn't help.

You should appreciate the pressure the goalie, the last line of defence, can be under when things are not going the way he planned.,
What about Steo in the first half when he found Mayo had copped on to his restarts and were winning most of them? He wasn't exactly ice cool, was he?
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

randomusername

I'm only going by the TV clip, but was the Dubs' cynicism at the end as bad as suggested? I think Ciaran Kilkenny got involved with Keegan, possibly after noticing Keegan throw the GPS at Dean Rock. Other than that I don't see anything too outrageous. Then again, Cormac Costello was acting the maggot I suppose.

The Hill is Blue

Quote from: randomusername on September 30, 2017, 04:42:39 PM
I'm only going by the TV clip, but was the Dubs' cynicism at the end as bad as suggested? I think Ciaran Kilkenny got involved with Keegan, possibly after noticing Keegan throw the GPS at Dean Rock. Other than that I don't see anything too outrageous. Then again, Cormac Costello was acting the maggot I suppose.

Well spotted. I was quite close to that incident.
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

Lar Naparka

Quote from: The Hill is Blue on September 30, 2017, 05:15:18 PM

I'm sure you are both right.
He just had to be appalled at the heinousness of Keegan's attempt to obstruct a free taker. Such behavious is strictly forbidden in Dublin circles, isn't it? And I suppose Costello removed Clarke's tee because it might be a danger to life and limb if it remained where it was.  And he was also thoughtful enough to go and take Clarke's other tees and fecked them away also in case the wind blew them onto the pitch.
And the rest?
They just wished to communicate their shock and outrage at Keegan's ignoble act and inform their opponents that they would never sink to that base level.

Will ya get up the bleedin' yard, the pair of ya?  ;D ;D
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

dublin7

Quote from: Lar Naparka on October 01, 2017, 10:52:05 PM
Quote from: The Hill is Blue on September 30, 2017, 05:15:18 PM

I'm sure you are both right.
He just had to be appalled at the heinousness of Keegan's attempt to obstruct a free taker. Such behavious is strictly forbidden in Dublin circles, isn't it? And I suppose Costello removed Clarke's tee because it might be a danger to life and limb if it remained where it was.  And he was also thoughtful enough to go and take Clarke's other tees and fecked them away also in case the wind blew them onto the pitch.
And the rest?
They just wished to communicate their shock and outrage at Keegan's ignoble act and inform their opponents that they would never sink to that base level.

Will ya get up the bleedin' yard, the pair of ya?  ;D ;D

When COC was taking his free kick in injury time I don't remember anything getting thrown at him.  It's amazing how all Mayo fans seem to think any player would do this when NO ONE has ever done it before.

The cynicism in the SECOND last kick out from the dublin players is common throughout the GAA and while not right it is something any player would do.  At least Clarke got to have another go, but I'm sure that it was Dublin's fault he kicked it over the sideline as well

TheGreatest

That's Mayo's biggest issue, blame everyone and everything but themselves. Sad really.

seafoid

Who were the 3 Mayo players that were wrestled to the ground in the last few minutes per Paul Kimmage ?

The AIF this year left a very bad taste.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU