Started by IolarCoisCuain, October 04, 2016, 07:27:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

From the Bunker

Quote from: The Hill is Blue on September 10, 2018, 07:45:51 PM
Quote from: Syferus on September 10, 2018, 05:28:41 PM
Quote from: shark on September 10, 2018, 05:27:19 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on September 10, 2018, 04:49:06 PM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on September 10, 2018, 04:31:45 PM
Where are Curtis & Crowe from? I always thought Roy Curtis was a Dub?

Apart from Ewan McKenna I've not read any article from a journalist or ex player who's had a huge pop at them with regards to the money unless I've missed it?

Eamon Sweeney

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/the-rest-are-playing-for-second-place-37297038.html

It only took him until the second paragraph. After embarrassing himself last year Sweeney is still obsessed with the former Mayo manager.

I don't think he's the only one with an obsession..

Dublin's four-in-row win was sweet but it gets sweeter by the day every time another begrudging misery comes on belittling the greatest manager and team that any one of us will ever see. Keep it up lads. It's going to be a great winter watching you all fulminate till you make yourselves sick.

And roll on next Spring and the league when we start whipping you all again.

How much money do the likes of Mayo (the perennial chokers) or Kildare (the last of the big spenders) need to actually win anything?

Enjoy your success, it's worth and the interest in it depreciates every year. And will continue depreciate. This was shown by the coverage in the media leading up to the final this year. There was little or no interest. Games that have forgone conclusions are even beginning to bore the Dubs.

Syferus

Quote from: From the Bunker on September 10, 2018, 08:39:09 PM

Apart from Ewan McKenna I've not read any article from a journalist or ex player who's had a huge pop at them with regards to the money unless I've missed it?

Eamon Sweeney

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/the-rest-are-playing-for-second-place-37297038.html

It only took him until the second paragraph. After embarrassing himself last year Sweeney is still obsessed with the former Mayo manager.

Dublin's four-in-row win was sweet but it gets sweeter by the day every time another begrudging misery comes on belittling the greatest manager and team that any one of us will ever see. Keep it up lads. It's going to be a great winter watching you all fulminate till you make yourselves sick.

How much money do the likes of Mayo (the perennial chokers) or Kildare (the last of the big spenders) need to actually win anything?

Enjoy your success, it's worth and the interest in it depreciates every year. And will continue depreciate. This was shown by the coverage in the media leading up to the final this year. There was little or no interest. Games that have forgone conclusions are even beginning to bore the Dubs.

Long term the best thing for the GAA is Dublin to keep winning. A flukey Tryone win last week would have been an excuse for some of the people in this thread and elsewhere to stick their heads in the sand and pretend there isn't a massive problem that needs to be addressed with Dublin.

If a 10-in-row with non-sellout AI finals and tanking total attendances is what it takes to make the GAA grow some balls, so be it. I don't see any willingness for them to act until their hand is absolutely forced so it's the best we can hope for.

Halfquarter

Eamon Sweeney

Yes,every Dub loves a one horse race.

Lar Naparka

Eamon Sweeney

WTF??  ;D ;D ;D
I'm very much surprised at the tone of your recent last post. I always regarded you as one of the (few) logical  and reasonably well-balanced contributors from the Dublin side of the fence.Taking a cheap dig at Mayo isn't what I'd expect from you. Mayo made you piss yourselves year after year as they kept coming back year after year.
There was no sign of Mayo choking last year when your side had to resort to pulling and dragging in the last few minutes of extra time to hang on and in the year's final before that when you also scraped by with just one point. In 2015, Mayo took you to a replay and you only managed to nose ahead in the last period of extra time.
And let's not forget that you beat Mayo by just one point on 2013 also. I can't help wondering what might have happened if Mayo and Dublin has switched places in any of those years.
However, all of this is of no use to anyone. I gave up taking this topic seriously a good while ago when it became very obvious what was inevitably going to happen.
I think the OTT reaction from Dublin sources in the wake of this year's final shows me that any Dub supporter with an iota of cop on knows this too.
Retaliation first is the best form of defence, as the old saying goes but all the gibes and flag waving won't alter the fact that the GAA is heading for financial ruin unless there is radical changes at the top and there is no sign of this happening.
Dublin county now has one third (or thereabouts) of the republic's population and govt.projections put this figure at over 40% before 2040.  All indications are that this will happen well before that date.

How long do you think this disparity between Dublin and the rest can keep on widening before the whole shebang goes belly up?

PS, If you read the latest from Joe Brolly and Eamon Sweeney (both liked above,)you'll get a more accurate account of what's happening than you can expect from the likes of Ciaran Whelan
or David Hickey and the usual suspects.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Syferus on September 10, 2018, 08:54:41 PM

Eamon Sweeney

Long term the best thing for the GAA is Dublin to keep winning. A flukey Tryone win last week would have been an excuse for some of the people in this thread and elsewhere to stick their heads in the sand and pretend there isn't a massive problem that needs to be addressed with Dublin.

If a 10-in-row with non-sellout AI finals and tanking total attendances is what it takes to make the GAA grow some balls, so be it. I don't see any willingness for them to act until their hand is absolutely forced so it's the best we can hope for.
G'man Syf, sure I never doubted ya.  ;D ;D That's absoutely spot on!
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

From the Bunker

Eamon Sweeney

You look at the chasing Bunch of Tyrone, Galway, Mayo, Donegal, Kerry, Kildare, Monaghan. With the exception of the last two named, there will be little appetite for fans of these counties to dig into their pockets next year!

The Hill is Blue

Quote from: Lar Naparka on September 10, 2018, 09:24:47 PM

Eamon Sweeney

WTF??  ;D ;D ;D
I'm very much surprised at the tone of your recent last post. I always regarded you as one of the (few) logical  and reasonably well-balanced contributors from the Dublin side of the fence.Taking a cheap dig at Mayo isn't what I'd expect from you. Mayo made you piss yourselves year after year as they kept coming back year after year.
There was no sign of Mayo choking last year when your side had to resort to pulling and dragging in the last few minutes of extra time to hang on and in the year's final before that when you also scraped by with just one point. In 2015, Mayo took you to a replay and you only managed to nose ahead in the last period of extra time.
And let's not forget that you beat Mayo by just one point on 2013 also. I can't help wondering what might have happened if Mayo and Dublin has switched places in any of those years.
However, all of this is of no use to anyone. I gave up taking this topic seriously a good while ago when it became very obvious what was inevitably going to happen.
I think the OTT reaction from Dublin sources in the wake of this year's final shows me that any Dub supporter with an iota of cop on knows this too.
Retaliation first is the best form of defence, as the old saying goes but all the gibes and flag waving won't alter the fact that the GAA is heading for financial ruin unless there is radical changes at the top and there is no sign of this happening.
Dublin county now has one third (or thereabouts) of the republic's population and govt.projections put this figure at over 40% before 2040.  All indications are that this will happen well before that date.

How long do you think this disparity between Dublin and the rest can keep on widening before the whole shebang goes belly up?

PS, If you read the latest from Joe Brolly and Eamon Sweeney (both liked above,)you'll get a more accurate account of what's happening than you can expect from the likes of Ciaran Whelan
or David Hickey and the usual suspects.

Aside from all that Lar do you not accept that we are looking at the greatest manager and team of our lifetime. And if you do accept that isn't it churlish not to graciously acknowledge that simple fact?
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

Rossfan

Club Rossie draw for a €425k house in Dublin.
Tickets €100.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Syferus

Quote from: Rossfan on September 10, 2018, 11:59:21 PM
Club Rossie draw for a €425k house in Dublin.
Tickets €100.

Link them so they can get a chance to win it before it's too late, you animal.

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

TheGreatest

Jaysus that's some prize. Some amount of Money in Roscommon what what what.

TheGreatest

Eamon Sweeney

That's not what the players are saying, some fans maybe, but the players from the top teams see it as a challenge, ask them yourself if you any. A large majority of pundits and journalists admire and give praise to the Dublin team, some don't, that's fine.

TheGreatest

Quote from: From the Bunker on September 10, 2018, 09:40:18 PM

Eamon Sweeney

You look at the chasing Bunch of Tyrone, Galway, Mayo, Donegal, Kerry, Kildare, Monaghan. With the exception of the last two named, there will be little appetite for fans of these counties to dig into their pockets next year!

Nonsense. Slight difference maybe but the big supported teams will travel , especially Mayo, who I feel will be there or there abouts next year.

Does anyone have stats on last year v this year attendances?

Jinxy

Mayo dropping back to become just another mid-tier county is the GAA's absolute worst nightmare at the moment.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Maroon Manc