Money, Dublin and the GAA

Started by IolarCoisCuain, October 04, 2016, 07:27:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

highorlow

QuoteIncredible to think , no new clubs created by the DCB though despite all the grants received

...bar the kingpins of division 11 south, Shankill, yet to win a game and more than likely the worst adult mens team in Ireland, good craic though. In one match the ref had to stop the game to instruct the corner back from Shankill to remove his shades.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

LeoMc

Quote from: Orchard park on September 10, 2018, 02:25:45 PM
Incredible to think , no new clubs created by the DCB though despite all the grants received
And how would they do that?

Take one of the bigger clubs and split them, tell them they cannot pick from a particular area any more?

Dinny Breen

Quote from: sid waddell on September 10, 2018, 02:18:30 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on September 10, 2018, 01:48:26 PM

Show us this increased partcipation, year by year breakdown, number of new clubs and green areas purchased to facilitate. [/b]

Quotehttps://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/money-talk-is-wide-of-the-mark-37297041.html

With the help of State funding the GAA's market share has increased impressively in the capital. The cumulative growth rate in Gaelic football among children between the ages of eight and 12, from 2011 to this year is almost 42 per cent. Over the same period in hurling, the cumulative rate of growth is 64.1 per cent. Could any of this have been seen as a sure thing, a no-brainer? Not that long ago, carrying a hurl in many parts of Dublin might mark you out as a bit odd, and almost certainly from the country. It is a different place now. That is the real story of the investment in Dublin and there are many more like it untold.

Absolutely brilliant to see such growth in youth participation rates.

But this is clearly a bad thing in some people's eyes.

Those people are miserable cranks.

QuoteThe cumulative growth rate in Gaelic football among children between the ages of eight and 12, from 2011 to this year is almost 42 per cent. Over the same period in hurling, the cumulative rate of growth is 64.1 per cent

Would like to see a source, is this growth in clubs or growth in schools, if schools how many are then engaging with clubs, primary school programs generally last a school term, are we seeing an increase in school teams entering competitions.

Basically what is KPI for the millions spent, surely new clubs and new green field sites should be part of that conversation? We keep hearing Dublin are doing a wonderful job, at winning All-Ireland's in football and making their hurlers competitive absolutely but growing the game, I see no new clubs I see no new grounds I see a stadium in Parnell Park at a par with Newbridge, with even worse parking. So if the GAA are pumping millions into Dublin GAA, what is the actual benefit to the organisation as a whole, is it really to maintain the same footprint year after year?

#newbridgeornowhere

Jinxy

Quote from: LeoMc on September 10, 2018, 02:33:26 PM
Quote from: Orchard park on September 10, 2018, 02:25:45 PM
Incredible to think , no new clubs created by the DCB though despite all the grants received
And how would they do that?

Take one of the bigger clubs and split them, tell them they cannot pick from a particular area any more?

Castleknock & St. Brigids would be an example of this I suppose.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

highorlow

QuoteBasically what is KPI for the millions spent, surely new clubs and new green field sites should be part of that conversation?

Thats a good point. Without Dun Laoghaire Rathdowns municipal pitches the likes of Cuala would be screwed. I think it's the same in most of the Dublin subarbs, the fields were already there and the local councils let the GAA clubs use them at the weekends for underage training and matchs and adult lower division matchs.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

Maroon Manc

Where are Curtis & Crowe from? I always thought Roy Curtis was a Dub?

Apart from Ewan McKenna I've not read any article from a journalist or ex player who's had a huge pop at them with regards to the money unless I've missed it?

Jinxy

I think other journalists go out of their way to start the conversation with, 'Dublin's success isn't down to money alone and it's not their fault they get way more than everyone else, BUT...'
Ewan just skips that bit!
At the end of the day, he doesn't need access to anyone involved in inter-county football.
The rest of them have to be a bit more diplomatic.

Syferus

Anyone that doesn't have the balls to call a spade a spade shouldn't call themselves journalists. In any other field of writing you wouldn't have this idea of the journalists hmming and hawing about access when there's a potentially GAA destroying issue and story looming overhead. In fact you wouldn't even get it in English sports writing either..

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Maroon Manc on September 10, 2018, 04:31:45 PM

Apart from Ewan McKenna I've not read any article from a journalist or ex player who's had a huge pop at them with regards to the money unless I've missed it?

Eamon Sweeney

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/the-rest-are-playing-for-second-place-37297038.html
#newbridgeornowhere

Maroon Manc

Quote from: Dinny Breen on September 10, 2018, 04:49:06 PM

Eamon Sweeney

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/the-rest-are-playing-for-second-place-37297038.html

Cheers.

Jinxy

manfromdelmonte

How many clubs have folded or merged in Dublin over the past 20 years, despite all this funding...

Fontenoys, Park Rangers, st James Gaels, dundrum churchtown.
Any more?

shark

Eamon Sweeney

It only took him until the second paragraph. After embarrassing himself last year Sweeney is still obsessed with the former Mayo manager.

Syferus

Quote from: shark on September 10, 2018, 05:27:19 PM

Eamon Sweeney

It only took him until the second paragraph. After embarrassing himself last year Sweeney is still obsessed with the former Mayo manager.

I don't think he's the only one with an obsession..

The Hill is Blue

Quote from: Syferus on September 10, 2018, 05:28:41 PM
Quote from: shark on September 10, 2018, 05:27:19 PM

Eamon Sweeney

I don't think he's the only one with an obsession..

Dublin's four-in-row win was sweet but it gets sweeter by the day every time another begrudging misery comes on belittling the greatest manager and team that any one of us will ever see. Keep it up lads. It's going to be a great winter watching you all fulminate till you make yourselves sick.

And roll on next Spring and the league when we start whipping you all again.

How much money do the likes of Mayo (the perennial chokers) or Kildare (the last of the big spenders) need to actually win anything? 
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8