Money, Dublin and the GAA

Started by IolarCoisCuain, October 04, 2016, 07:27:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sid waddell

Quote from: Dinny Breen on September 09, 2018, 02:09:24 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on September 09, 2018, 11:28:11 AM
Ewan's latest stuff on twitter is... interesting.
Think he needs to take a break for a bit.

The Dublin PR machine is gone into overdrive bringing out all sorts on Twitter. He is getting awful abuse, his position has become entrenched but he still tries to engage. For his own well being he should step away, recharge his batteries, this is only going to escalate as Dublin have commissioned the hypocrite Brolly to write a piece.

The worst bit of guff was from Eamon McGee, some lads should be allowed near a phone.
Ewan is only discrediting his own argument with the guff he's written on Twitter recently.

He's gone full Gemma O'Doherty.

Ranting sarcastically about genetics and liking a tweet which implied that Jonny Cooper was to blame for being stabbed is really weird.

AZOffaly

He is two ends of a bollix but it doesn't mean he's always wrong.

The Hill is Blue

Quote from: larryin89 on September 09, 2018, 10:23:27 AM
Quote from: Tubberman on September 09, 2018, 06:01:22 AM
A lovely humble guy

+1 , really humble . Hickey was involved up till last year ?  His personality shows the REAL down to earth humility of this Dublin team .

What do you know about David Hickey?  ::) ::) ::)
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

larryin89

Quote from: The Hill is Blue on September 09, 2018, 03:21:38 PM
Quote from: larryin89 on September 09, 2018, 10:23:27 AM
Quote from: Tubberman on September 09, 2018, 06:01:22 AM
A lovely humble guy

+1 , really humble . Hickey was involved up till last year ?  His personality shows the REAL down to earth humility of this Dublin team .

What do you know about David Hickey?  ::) ::) ::)

A little more than you might think .  ;)
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Syferus

Did he treat your multiple personality disorder Larryin.

larryin89

Quote from: Syferus on September 09, 2018, 03:49:00 PM

Think I'll have to put you on ignore you're really getting out of hand now.  You're very outspoken on the internet .

Just to clarify I just happen to know of the chap as my son is friends with his son . 

Syferus

Quote from: larryin89 on September 09, 2018, 04:36:27 PM
Quote from: Syferus on September 09, 2018, 03:49:00 PM

Think I'll have to put you on ignore you're really getting out of hand now.  You're very outspoken on the internet .

Just to clarify I just happen to know of the chap as my son is friends with his son .

You'll have a lot of accounts to add me to the ignore list on so.

naka

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on September 09, 2018, 12:13:19 AM
Well all that  money didn't stop Derry dropping To divs 4 in 3yrs
Tbf there is a lot of good work being done in Derry city, ( historically a soccer city)which has to be credited. Hopefully it assists the oak leaf county in future years.
What I find scandalous is the gap between cork and Dublin.
As an aside was at the final this year,  couldn't believe how easy it was to get tickets , Dublin's domination is killing the game because a fair few weren't interested in paying 80 euros to watch a forgone conclusion.

thebackbar1

imho some of the articles attributing Dublins success to money are naive and by and large insulting to Jim Gavin and his players.

Obviously having croke park in there back garden is an advantage as is having fairly easy matches in the opening round of lenister. However in time Jim Gavin will be seen as the greatest manager of all.

* How he has managed to keep this team motivated is incredible, you see plenty of teams full of stars but with no motivation.
* The discipline of his players in every regard is amazing, they very rarely drop their discipline
* The players always look to pass the ball to a player in a better position, very rarely do they take stupid shots.

Money can buy you a lot of things, but none of the above.

Its time for the other counties to get organised, honestly is your county doing its level best to beat Dublin ? its hard to see any county that is totally focused on doing whatever it can to dethrone the Dubs.

I don't have a problem with the GAA area investing in densely populated areas, but i do have a problem with the fact that they only invested in urban areas in Dublin. It was a really poor decision.

The investment in Dublin has and will increase the numbers playing the game in Dublin, the bottom of the pyramid is getting much bigger, and more talent will rise to the top. Fundamentally more talented players will start appearing who are willing to give the dedication and commitment required for intercounty football.

We need to find a solution, I don't agree with the idea of splitting Dublin. My big wish is that in twenty years time the club game is stronger in every county in ireland and abroad, however the intercounty game is in crisis in football. Whats the solution ? I think Pat Gilroys idea of restoring the focus to the club game makes perfect sense.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/columnists/joe-brolly/joe-brolly-the-dropout-rate-in-gaelic-games-is-in-my-opinion-a-national-disgrace-35424042.html

Fundamentally we need the GAA thriving in Dublin, but we need to keep the game of interest outside of Dublin. At the moment our only hope is that Jim Gavin will retire

Its up to ordinary GAA members to step forward, as Croke does not have the leadership to do this.

Rossfan

Those Laythrum really need to work harder and their sponsors need to match Dublin's.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

larryin89

Quote from: Rossfan on September 09, 2018, 08:45:51 PM
Those Laythrum really need to work harder and their sponsors need to match Dublin's.

Yes I'm sure if the Leitrim CB got off their arses they'd be winning all Ireland s in a few years time.

All the responses to the unfair advantages are getting tiresome , for crikeys sake can't ye just try and be honest.

TheGreatest

Some of the comments on here are hilarious, smacks of jealousy, Hatred and small town syndrome.

As for Spewan Mc Crackpot, he's moved onto Serena Williams now arguing with American teenagers. His tweeting to Marty Morrissey and Des Cahill which he removed were dreadfully disrespectful.

Think the Indo need to have a think about his employment, he's a bully and a coward.

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 09, 2018, 02:47:26 PM
He is two ends of a bollix but it doesn't mean he's always wrong.

He doesn't do himself any favours and seems to take everything too far but as you state he's not always wrong.

Dinny Breen

Quote* How he has managed to keep this team motivated is incredible, you see plenty of teams full of stars but with no motivation.
* The discipline of his players in every regard is amazing, they very rarely drop their discipline
* The players always look to pass the ball to a player in a better position, very rarely do they take stupid shots.

Money can buy you a lot of things, but none of the above.

Professional sports psychologists are paid with MONEY, they work on motivation and discipline.
Dublin have engaged basketball coaches including Mark Ingle, I doubt they do this for free. Guess what basketball coaches work on, movement and creating opportunity for the shot, funny enough they don't encourage stupid shots.

Sports science/coaching is a billion dollar industry, people seem to have this romantic notion that coaching is throwing a bag of balls over your shoulder, picking a team, lay out some cones, a bit of shouting and roaring and away you go.

I am imagine Dublin's analysis software license costs are astronomical alone, and guess what, spending money on analysis helps coaches and players particularly in decision making. MONEY makes a massive difference to the above. Sick of fan boys at this stage.
#newbridgeornowhere