Money, Dublin and the GAA

Started by IolarCoisCuain, October 04, 2016, 07:27:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

Ok lads take no money from the GAA or AIG for 2019.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

manfromdelmonte

Have 80% of your players drive down or share a care to Mullingar to train midweek. the lads who actually drive down won't get their expenses until after next year's season btw.

No personalised meals to be delivered to players

Ye can use the gym gear that is housed in some industrial unit somewhere in the county.

Actually, training might be in Mullingar, or Athlone. Depending on pitch availability. The players will get a text.

Most of your games will be played away.

and there's no money to pay for the physios for a few weeks, and the lifestyle coach had to go, as did the 4 lads on stats and video analysis.

The Hill is Blue

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on September 08, 2018, 10:25:22 AM
Paddy Christie out in the papers as well

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/dublin-empire-built-on-solid-structures-from-grassroots-up-1.3621868

they must all have got the same text!

Aside from that what did you think of the articles and the points they made - or did you even read the articles?
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

larryin89

Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

AZOffaly

I don't understand the defensiveness. I don't think anyone (maybe I'm wrong) is saying this team is only winning because of money. They work hard, are very well organised, have some excellent players and are the best team in the country no matter where you play them or when.

Are people denying that there is an inequity in funding, or that Dublin get a disproportionate amount of funding direct from CC, in addition to the multiples of 'revenue streams' they can generate by getting sponsorship etc based on their location and demographics? If people are denying that, when it has been accepted as at least needing review by several leading GAA officials over the past couple of years, then I don't think there's much more point debating it.

But those people, I would just say one thing. If the 16m has not contributed to structures, coaching and games development, and has not at least had a significant effect on the creation of the current situation in Leinster, then just stop accepting the money. If it hasn't been useful, then it's a criminal waste of money. If it has been useful, then at least acknowledge it.

I do not want to split up Dublin. Screw that. You want to play the Dubs and beat the Dubs, not Fingal or Rathdown. But review the financial situation to at least allow an amateur game be played on a footing where the only advantages Dublin have are the ones they've always had. Population, Home Advantage in massive games, and an inherent cockiness :)

Dublin won't win 6 or 7 All Irelands in a row. They will be caught one fine day by Kerry, or Mayo, or Galway, or Tyrone or someone who emerges to join he chasing pack. But when that day comes, it will not be some indication of the 'end' of Dublin. Unless the controllable inequities are addressed, the machine will keep turning, and out of the next 20 All Irelands, Dublin will probably win 14 or 15 of them.

highorlow

I stopped reading Whealo after he said the accusations are down to money and money alone.

No one is denying the Dubs are a great team and who knows even with a level playing field they'd probably still be winning AI's but at least give the rest a fair chance.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

tonto1888

Quote from: Syferus on September 07, 2018, 11:13:20 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on September 07, 2018, 11:06:47 PM
Quote from: Syferus on September 07, 2018, 10:59:38 PM
Quote from: The Hill is Blue on September 07, 2018, 10:11:04 PM
Quote from: tonto1888 on September 07, 2018, 09:41:52 PM
Quote from: seafoid on September 07, 2018, 09:32:27 PM
Quote from: tonto1888 on September 07, 2018, 08:32:44 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on September 07, 2018, 08:28:58 PM
You should know well what GAA Ulster means.
But just in case you don't it's Donegal, Cavan,  Monaghan and the Nationalist population of the 6 Counties.

Sure why not just say Ulster then? Or does Dublin not have a bigger population than Ulster
Not everyone in Ulster is potentially a GAA head. There are a few Unionists apparently

I doubt everyone in Dublin is ta potential GAA head. Plenty of egg chasers and soccer types there

Not to mention the many in Dublin from other counties who could never bring themselves to support a Dublin team (some of whom are regular contributors to this forum).

..and who spawn little GAA mad Dublin rugrats when the time comes.. Christ, how do you drive if you're that cross-eyed?

Oh right, you have a world class public transport system so you don't need to.

The notion that Dublin has a world class public transport system is the funniest thing I've ever read on this forum.   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Go to most other similarly-sized cities in the western world and you're going to be praising the efficiency and reliability of Dublin Bus..

I've lived in Manchester Liverpool and London. And no I won't be.

The Hill is Blue

Quote from: larryin89 on September 08, 2018, 10:43:26 AM
Quote from: The Hill is Blue on September 08, 2018, 09:31:44 AM
Ciaran Whelan and Alan Brogan give their views on the anti-Dublin begrudges.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/ciaran-whelan-the-truth-might-be-hard-to-take-for-some-but-theres-no-link-between-dublins-success-and-money-37293277.html

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/alan-brogan-dublin-worked-slavishly-hard-for-their-allireland-successes-and-its-an-insult-to-attribute-it-to-money-37290634.html

Well said lads. We don't fight back enough.

Are you serious , I never read such inane drivel in all my life. Such a defensive tone too. 

Just keep kicking them balls and the all Ireland's will come.good man Alan makes sense.

Are Dublin a team of seriously talented footballers whose success would have come money or no money?
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

highorlow

QuoteAre Dublin a team of seriously talented footballers whose success would have come money or no money?

That's the key question that we will never know.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

The Hill is Blue

Quote from: highorlow on September 08, 2018, 12:13:48 PM
QuoteAre Dublin a team of seriously talented footballers whose success would have come money or no money?

That's the key question that we will never know.

I rest my case.

sid waddell

Quote from: tonto1888 on September 08, 2018, 11:53:29 AM
Quote from: Syferus on September 07, 2018, 11:13:20 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on September 07, 2018, 11:06:47 PM
Quote from: Syferus on September 07, 2018, 10:59:38 PM
Quote from: The Hill is Blue on September 07, 2018, 10:11:04 PM
Quote from: tonto1888 on September 07, 2018, 09:41:52 PM
Quote from: seafoid on September 07, 2018, 09:32:27 PM
Quote from: tonto1888 on September 07, 2018, 08:32:44 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on September 07, 2018, 08:28:58 PM
You should know well what GAA Ulster means.
But just in case you don't it's Donegal, Cavan,  Monaghan and the Nationalist population of the 6 Counties.

Sure why not just say Ulster then? Or does Dublin not have a bigger population than Ulster
Not everyone in Ulster is potentially a GAA head. There are a few Unionists apparently

I doubt everyone in Dublin is ta potential GAA head. Plenty of egg chasers and soccer types there

Not to mention the many in Dublin from other counties who could never bring themselves to support a Dublin team (some of whom are regular contributors to this forum).

..and who spawn little GAA mad Dublin rugrats when the time comes.. Christ, how do you drive if you're that cross-eyed?

Oh right, you have a world class public transport system so you don't need to.

The notion that Dublin has a world class public transport system is the funniest thing I've ever read on this forum.   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Go to most other similarly-sized cities in the western world and you're going to be praising the efficiency and reliability of Dublin Bus..

I've lived in Manchester Liverpool and London. And no I won't be.
Dublin's metro system is the envy of the world.

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: The Hill is Blue on September 08, 2018, 11:55:21 AM

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/ciaran-whelan-the-truth-might-be-hard-to-take-for-some-but-theres-no-link-between-dublins-success-and-money-37293277.html

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/alan-brogan-dublin-worked-slavishly-hard-for-their-allireland-successes-and-its-an-insult-to-attribute-it-to-money-37290634.html

Are you serious , I never read such inane drivel in all my life. Such a defensive tone too. 

Just keep kicking them balls and the all Ireland's will come.good man Alan makes sense.

Are Dublin a team of seriously talented footballers whose success would have come money or no money?
would they have developed in eg Offaly? or Cavan?
without all the same support and expertise that the Dublin CB can afford?

The Hill is Blue

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on September 08, 2018, 12:43:27 PM
Quote from: The Hill is Blue on September 08, 2018, 11:55:21 AM

would they have developed in eg Offaly? or Cavan?
without all the same support and expertise that the Dublin CB can afford?

Would they have developed in Kerry, Mayo, Donegal, Galway, Tyrone, Monaghan etc. ?

J70

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 08, 2018, 11:02:19 AM
I don't understand the defensiveness. I don't think anyone (maybe I'm wrong) is saying this team is only winning because of money. They work hard, are very well organised, have some excellent players and are the best team in the country no matter where you play them or when.

Are people denying that there is an inequity in funding, or that Dublin get a disproportionate amount of funding direct from CC, in addition to the multiples of 'revenue streams' they can generate by getting sponsorship etc based on their location and demographics? If people are denying that, when it has been accepted as at least needing review by several leading GAA officials over the past couple of years, then I don't think there's much more point debating it.

But those people, I would just say one thing. If the 16m has not contributed to structures, coaching and games development, and has not at least had a significant effect on the creation of the current situation in Leinster, then just stop accepting the money. If it hasn't been useful, then it's a criminal waste of money. If it has been useful, then at least acknowledge it.

I do not want to split up Dublin. Screw that. You want to play the Dubs and beat the Dubs, not Fingal or Rathdown. But review the financial situation to at least allow an amateur game be played on a footing where the only advantages Dublin have are the ones they've always had. Population, Home Advantage in massive games, and an inherent cockiness :)

Dublin won't win 6 or 7 All Irelands in a row. They will be caught one fine day by Kerry, or Mayo, or Galway, or Tyrone or someone who emerges to join he chasing pack. But when that day comes, it will not be some indication of the 'end' of Dublin. Unless the controllable inequities are addressed, the machine will keep turning, and out of the next 20 All Irelands, Dublin will probably win 14 or 15 of them.

That's about the height of it. And is that what Dublin really want? If it continues down this road, people, including Dubs, are going to stop watching. Even in the relatively close (on the scoreboard) games they played this year, Dublin NEVER looked in any danger of not winning at their leisure. The final was over after 25 minutes. We were only three or four points down very near the end of the first Super 8 game, yet it never seemed as if they were in any way troubled by what we were offering. Dublin could have beaten us by ten points, easily, if they'd been bothered. They knew it. We knew it. Same with Tyrone on Sunday, where the Dubs even engaged in a bit of keep-ball with more than 20 minutes left.

I disagree on splitting Dublin. Not saying it should definitely happen, but it absolutely should be on the table going forward. And yes, there has always been a structural player-base inequality to gaelic games, given the geographical/religious units around which it is organized, but does that mean that no steps can be taken anywhere? Teams have split and amalgamated below the county level many times. St. Joseph's were winning all ahead of them in Donegal back in the late 60s and 70s (even had success in Ulster, which no other Donegal senior club has done) before the county said enough is enough and split them back up into Aodh Rua and Bundoran. Similarly, albeit to less success so far, trophy-wise, Letterkenny Gaels were formed in the 90s to cater for the growing population of the town and offer an alternative outlet to Eunan's. No reason why a North Dublin/South Dublin set-up or the like couldn't at least be trialled if the current trend continues. Unless things have changed from the many years I lived in Dublin myself, there is already a healthy cultural rivalry there.