Dublin Football Final

Started by The Hill is Blue, October 27, 2014, 10:48:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Hill is Blue

St. Vincent's held on tonight to beat Oliver Plunkett's by one point - 0-14 to 1-10

http://www.thescore.ie/st-vincents-st-oliver-plunketts-1749036-Oct2014/
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

orangeman

The Hill is Blue

DC had a quiet enough game but was effective nevertheless.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

INDIANA

We're delighted with the winn. Wasn't a good game but who cares when you win.

Portlaoise next - tough game.

Sidney

Quote from: orangeman on October 27, 2014, 11:03:51 PM
Quote from: The Hill is Blue on October 27, 2014, 10:48:13 PM
St. Vincent's held on tonight to beat Oliver Plunkett's by one point - 0-14 to 1-10

Any magic moments from Diarmuid ?
One lovely point early on with his left but well held otherwise. Plunkett's get a lot of men behind the ball and early on it looked like Vincent's were going to struggle with their system as they went 0-3 to 0-0 down and were finding it difficult to get space. Gradually Vincent's took over though - I thought it was quite similar to how Kerry dealt with Donegal as they also kept men back and Bernard Brogan and Nesty Smith were too isolated up front - Brogan was often being double marked.

Vincent's were certainly the better team, won midfield (exemplified by Craig Dunleavy of Plunkett's being taken off - they would have been expecting him to have success in that area) and led by five or six but a softish goal with a few minutes left when a high ball into the square was touched in (not sure who got it) brought the gap back to two. Plunkett's could have got a draw but their one chance to equalise was put badly wide. The one point gap at the end flattered Plunkett's I think. They were slow to change their tactics when they needed to - you could see the frustration on Bernard Brogan's face shouting at players to push up as they badly needed scores. I thought Gavin Burke and Ruairi Trainor were best for Vincent's in the second half, but overall it was a real all round team performance. Trainor got some good scores and I've been consistently impressed by Burke any time I've seen him - an excellent link man, takes good options when in possession, comfortable with the ball and well able to take scores - he should certainly get his chance with Dublin. Vincent's should retain Leinster at least now and it will be fairly short odds that they'll end up meeting Crossmaglen in the All-Ireland final.

INDIANA

Quote from: Sidney on October 27, 2014, 11:53:30 PM

One lovely point early on with his left but well held otherwise. Plunkett's get a lot of men behind the ball and early on it looked like Vincent's were going to struggle with their system as they went 0-3 to 0-0 down and were finding it difficult to get space. Gradually Vincent's took over though - I thought it was quite similar to how Kerry dealt with Donegal as they also kept men back and Bernard Brogan and Nesty Smith were too isolated up front - Brogan was often being double marked.

Vincent's were certainly the better team, won midfield (exemplified by Craig Dunleavy of Plunkett's being taken off - they would have been expecting him to have success in that area) and led by five or six but a softish goal with a few minutes left when a high ball into the square was touched in (not sure who got it) brought the gap back to two. Plunkett's could have got a draw but their one chance to equalise was put badly wide. The one point gap at the end flattered Plunkett's I think. They were slow to change their tactics when they needed to - you could see the frustration on Bernard Brogan's face shouting at players to push up as they badly needed scores. I thought Gavin Burke and Ruairi Trainor were best for Vincent's in the second half, but overall it was a real all round team performance. Trainor got some good scores and I've been consistently impressed by Burke any time I've seen him - an excellent link man, takes good options when in possession, comfortable with the ball and well able to take scores - he should certainly get his chance with Dublin. Vincent's should retain Leinster at least now and it will be fairly short odds that they'll end up meeting Crossmaglen in the All-Ireland final.

That's well over stated. We didn't play well at all at times tonight. We're not playing anywhere near as well as last night. It's been the easiest championship we've ever won in the club and Portlaoise have a really good chance of beating us.

BennyCake

Sidney

Quote from: INDIANA on October 28, 2014, 12:05:54 AM

That's well over stated. We didn't play well at all at times tonight. We're not playing anywhere near as well as last night. It's been the easiest championship we've ever won in the club and Portlaoise have a really good chance of beating us.
Vincent's got good draws in the earlier rounds but that's not their fault. Plunkett's put out Crokes and Ballymun and were a formidable, battle-hardened opponent and were always going to make it tough. Vincent's dealt with them very well bar the first ten minutes and the wobble at the end. It's the mark of a good team that the rest were able to step up to the plate when Connolly and Quinn were well held. All things being equal there doesn't look to be that much out there that will challenge them. Portlaoise have falen well short since they won Leinster in 2009 and by all accounts are going backwards, winning a very poor standard championship in Laois. Vincent's should comfortably have too much for them.

Clinker

What's On
Love/Hate: Sunday's episode will go down in RTE history as one of the most dramatic and compelling
http://www.irishmirror.ie/whats-on/lovehate-sundays-episode-go-down-4519956

Connolly (26) had pleaded guilty earlier to assault causing harm to Anthony Kelly at McGowan's public house in Phibsboro, in Dublin.
A judge has ordered Dublin football star Diarmuid Connolly to spend 80 hours teaching GAA to kids following an unprovoked attack on a man in a pub.
http://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/dublin-star-diarmuid-connolly-ordered-3613585

Dramatic and compelling?
Empathy with the characters?
Baby goats are kids.
Welcome to the Irish Free State.
Keep it.

INDIANA

Quote from: Sidney on October 28, 2014, 01:23:05 AM

Vincent's got good draws in the earlier rounds but that's not their fault. Plunkett's put out Crokes and Ballymun and were a formidable, battle-hardened opponent and were always going to make it tough. Vincent's dealt with them very well bar the first ten minutes and the wobble at the end. It's the mark of a good team that the rest were able to step up to the plate when Connolly and Quinn were well held. All things being equal there doesn't look to be that much out there that will challenge them. Portlaoise have falen well short since they won Leinster in 2009 and by all accounts are going backwards, winning a very poor standard championship in Laois. Vincent's should comfortably have too much for them.

Don't be giving me that load of bollox. It's the same portlaoise team that nearly bet us last year and plunketts showed up a multitude of issues in the team. As I said it was the softest county championship win in a long time . We played nothing to win it in a poor year overall for the championship.Way off last years pace and we are well aware of it.

INDIANA

Quote from: Clinker on October 28, 2014, 01:24:37 AM
What's On
Love/Hate: Sunday's episode will go down in RTE history as one of the most dramatic and compelling
http://www.irishmirror.ie/whats-on/lovehate-sundays-episode-go-down-4519956

Connolly (26) had pleaded guilty earlier to assault causing harm to Anthony Kelly at McGowan's public house in Phibsboro, in Dublin.
A judge has ordered Dublin football star Diarmuid Connolly to spend 80 hours teaching GAA to kids following an unprovoked attack on a man in a pub.
http://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/dublin-star-diarmuid-connolly-ordered-3613585

Dramatic and compelling?
Empathy with the characters?
Baby goats are kids.
Welcome to the Irish Free State.
Keep it.

That's the best you can do you muppet. Have a count of his medals

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: INDIANA on October 28, 2014, 07:01:31 AM

Don't be giving me that load of bollox. It's the same portlaoise team that nearly bet us last year and plunketts showed up a multitude of issues in the team. As I said it was the softest county championship win in a long time . We played nothing to win it in a poor year overall for the championship.Way off last years pace and we are well aware of it.

I'm wondering Indiana would the trainer be focusing on getting the team peaking for this time of year and that is reflective of the sluggish performances?  It has been levelled at us a few times and certainly the Armagh championship does sometimes facilitate this but there is value in doing that, particularly when you have a number of key players playing county football.  Portlaosie will be hard to beat but once you do there is very little else that should trouble you in Leinster,  maybe Garrycastle with Dessie giving her one last lash.  What is the breakdown then for the AI semis do you know?

orangeman

Reading the report there on RTE Oliver Plunketts played with 2 sweepers and Connolly was shadowed constantly which explains how he ended up with a point. Vincent's have other good forwards who need holding as well.
With the Brogans on board, would you not be tempted to take a chance and go for it ?. That said, they did get to within a point of the best team in Ireland, the club champions.

dublin7

Plunketts were lucky to get within a point. Vincents were 6 points up with 10 minutes left and switched off thinking the game was won. Plunketts get a soft goal and last couple of minutes panic set in. Vincents dominated midfield in the 2nd half so plunketts were living off scraps. They us the same defensive set up as Donegal and like Donegal refused to push when chasing the game towards the end, which made no sense. Last 10 minutes when Plunketts needed scores Bernard Brogan was on his own in front of goal and being marked by 3 defenders, so he had chance. Himself and Alan were screaming for players too push up, but didn't happen. Eamonn Fennell looks fitter now, than when he was on the Dublin panel and had a good game last night.

Sidney

Quote from: INDIANA on October 28, 2014, 07:01:31 AM

Jaysus, I struggle to understand that kind of miserabilist attitude, some people are never happy. Vincent's have been impressive in winning Dublin this year, no doubt about it, and no amount of poor mouthing makes it otherwise. No such thing as a soft Dublin championship which is why it's rarely retained - Plunkett's along with Crokes and Ballymun would more than likely beat anything in the rest of Leinster.