Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boycey

rodney trotter

Spurs have qualified regularly for the Champions League under Pochettino and the made final last season . That would be enough for  Daniel Levy. Pochettino is in his 6th season now, and hasn't a trophy. That was a poor defeat against Colchester.

Eriksen missed one of the pens.. He doesn't want to be there anymore and that wouldnt help matters. A bit like Pogba

Ed Ricketts

Quote from: magpie seanie on September 26, 2019, 11:25:23 AM
Just was interested to see Spurs have the same points as United and went out of the Carabao cup to a lower ranked side than Rochdale yet no one is saying Pochettino should be sacked. In fact some are actually suggesting he should replace OGS at United. People need to chill.

Sorry, but this is incorrect. Pochettino is under pressure. Spurs supporters are increasingly divided over his continued leadership, with many feeling that it looks like his team is beginning to plateau. A cursory look at a few other forums would confirm this.

The reason there is anxiety over Solskjaer, even at this relatively early stage of his tenure, is that he has absolutely nothing in his managerial CV that suggests he is capable of the job with which he has been tasked. United can't waste any more time on bad decisions, and with every shite display on the pitch is looks more and more like Solskjaer was a bad decision.
Doc would listen to any kind of nonsense and change it for you to a kind of wisdom.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: Boycey on September 26, 2019, 06:34:55 PM
Quote from: Boycey on September 25, 2019, 05:29:55 PM
Curious to know what a total reset involves?

No takers?

I'd say getting rid of most of the dross United have accumulated over the last 10 years. It should have been done when Fergie retired yet the problem has got worse. Moyes & LVG had no clear transfer strategy, Mourinho did but Woodward stopped backing him come after 2 years. At least now there appears to be some sort of strategy that are United are looking at younger British players who'll have no issues with settling in and if doesn't work out they'll be able to move them on.

I'm not getting carried away though, how can you trust the owners and Woodward. We were told in summer 2018 that Mourinho would have nearly £200m to spent, we've had 2 summers since then and after outgoungs accounted for United have spent about £110m.

The club is swimming in cash, it has over £300m in the bank but they choose to be very prudent this summer. I think Maguire only came in because Lukaku was to be sold. I think United are in huge trouble if they fail to qualify for the CL, United won't invest whats required and will rely on Pogba been sold to fund buying 2 players. Matic is finished, Fred needs a complete upturn in form and Periera isn't good enough and will be sold this summer. You can make a case for United needing to buy 4 midfielders next summer unless Gomes & Garner prove their good enough.

NAG1

Quote from: Maroon Manc on September 27, 2019, 11:06:58 AM

No takers?

I'd say getting rid of most of the dross United have accumulated over the last 10 years. It should have been done when Fergie retired yet the problem has got worse. Moyes & LVG had no clear transfer strategy, Mourinho did but Woodward stopped backing him come after 2 years. At least now there appears to be some sort of strategy that are United are looking at younger British players who'll have no issues with settling in and if doesn't work out they'll be able to move them on.

I'm not getting carried away though, how can you trust the owners and Woodward. We were told in summer 2018 that Mourinho would have nearly £200m to spent, we've had 2 summers since then and after outgoungs accounted for United have spent about £110m.

The club is swimming in cash, it has over £300m in the bank but they choose to be very prudent this summer. I think Maguire only came in because Lukaku was to be sold. I think United are in huge trouble if they fail to qualify for the CL, United won't invest whats required and will rely on Pogba been sold to fund buying 2 players. Matic is finished, Fred needs a complete upturn in form and Periera isn't good enough and will be sold this summer. You can make a case for United needing to buy 4 midfielders next summer unless Gomes & Garner prove their good enough.

Nothing to argue with there.

magpie seanie

Quote from: NAG1 on September 27, 2019, 11:44:59 AM

No takers?

I think it's crazt to suggest that Mourinho had a clear transfer strategy but everything else is spot on.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: magpie seanie on September 27, 2019, 11:56:19 AM

No takers?

I think it's crazt to suggest that Mourinho had a clear transfer strategy but everything else is spot on.

Didn't say it was the right strategy but he had one, the other two bought players for the sake of it.

NAG1

Quote from: Maroon Manc on September 27, 2019, 12:14:28 PM

No takers?

Didn't say it was the right strategy but he had one, the other two bought players for the sake of it.

TBF it was JM's usual strategy of investing in players of a certain age bracket to try and win instantly which is partly the reason for the squad now.

I would imagine that Ole is looking to bring the average age down with good young players and then to add a level of experience at the right time.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: NAG1 on September 27, 2019, 12:21:56 PM

No takers?

TBF it was JM's usual strategy of investing in players of a certain age bracket to try and win instantly which is partly the reason for the squad now.

I would imagine that Ole is looking to bring the average age down with good young players and then to add a level of experience at the right time.

Mourinho bought in Zlatan, Pogba, Lukaku, Bailly, Dalot, Lindelof, Mkhitaryan, Matic, Fred & Sanchez; Think only 3 out of the 10 were older than 26 when they signed for United.

magpie seanie

Quote from: Maroon Manc on September 27, 2019, 12:40:35 PM
Quote from: NAG1 on September 27, 2019, 12:21:56 PM

No takers?

Mourinho bought in Zlatan, Pogba, Lukaku, Bailly, Dalot, Lindelof, Mkhitaryan, Matic, Fred & Sanchez; Think only 3 out of the 10 were older than 26 when they signed for United.

LVG bought Blind, Darmian, Depay, Di Maria, Falcao, Herrera, Martial, Rojo, Romero, Schneiderlin, Schweinsteiger, Shaw, Victor Valdes.

I actually think LVG's list compares favourably with Mourinho's.

TabClear

Quote from: magpie seanie on September 27, 2019, 01:17:11 PM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on September 27, 2019, 12:40:35 PM

LVG bought Blind, Darmian, Depay, Di Maria, Falcao, Herrera, Martial, Rojo, Romero, Schneiderlin, Schweinsteiger, Shaw, Victor Valdes.

I actually think LVG's list compares favourably with Mourinho's.

Both those lists are reasonable on paper. The bigger question is how and why so many of them were much poorer at United than their previous (and in certain cases (Depay, Di Maria etc) subsequent clubs.

magpie seanie

I would say culture and I think LVG and Mourinho underestimated it for different reasons. I'd say LVG bought into Rooney as the leader (until it was too late) and the players that arrived hadn't anyone to drive them on and set standards. I'd say that wasn't the case in their previous/subsequent clubs. I'm not sure Mourinho looks at leadership/cluture hat way - I would imagine he sees it as coming from himself. Who knows?

under the bar

Quote from: Boycey on September 28, 2019, 10:21:13 PM
Sweet Jesus

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/49867580

Sad individuals and such behaviour should be rightly condemned